News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SOVIET QUIZ - 2011 - QUIZ CLOSED

The Soviet Quiz, started by Christophe ran for a few years since 2006 and was extremely active and a great success. It did however die down over time due to a number of reasons:

- Questions asked were at times too complicated as they required composite multi-answer replies;

- Questions at times covered areas that were way too obscure and therefore they limited the number of possible respondents severely and thus slowed down the tempo of the quiz;

- Members would post questions without bothering to follow up on their queries;

- Members would be too busy to set questions and not pass these on to other members when they could not reply.

I would like to invite Christophe to involve himself again with the quiz as it used to generated a lot of activity, not only in the quiz thread itself but also in the Soviet fora, that has sadly been lacking over the last year or so.

The rules were as follows:

All Forum members are eligible to participate, but there needs to be a few ground (and "classical") rules so there is no confusion among Forum members.

1. Discuss only one trivia item at a time so as not to confuse what is being discussed with other Forum members.

2. Once a Forum member guesses the correct trivia question, that member can then post their trivia question. Or if they wish can pass it on to another Forum member. [PROPOSED ADDITION - IF THE QUESTION IS NOT SET WITHIN 48 HOURS OF REPLY THE NEXT QUESTION WILL INSTEAD BE ASKED BY A QUIZ HOST]

3. To ensure we keep this thread friendly, there should be no heckling, bantering, quarreling or arguing with another person when he or she does not correctly answer the trivia question. Never forget we are amongst Gentlemen (or -women).

4. The trivia question must have a connection to the Soviet Union & former Eastern Block Countries, as it is the purpose of this Forum. The trivia could involve history, people, awards, badges or items. The trivia question needs to relate to a time-frame. For example, when was this award first established? Or When did East Germany come into existence? [PROPOSED ADDITION - THE QUESTION MUST HAVE A CLEAR ANSWER - A DATE, AN EVENT, A STORY - IT SHOULD NOT HAVE SEVERAL QUESTIONS BUT SHOULD ENCOURAGE ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND TO THE ANSWER. QUIZ HOSTS MAY REQUEST A MEMBER TO NARROW DOWN THE SCOPE OF THE QUESTION IF TOO MUCH INFORMATION IS REQUESTED. QUESTIONS SHOULD ALSO NOT BE TOO OBSCURE AND SHOULD BE READILY RESEARCHABLE WITHOUT TOO MUCH DIFFICULTY]

5. When the question is answered, the original poster should give [ADDITIONAL] background about the fact, the person, the item in question [WHEN CONFIRMING THE REPLY AS CORRECT].

6. No posting items to just show you have one unless its adds to the post that is being discussed or shown.

7. [ADDITIONAL RULE: IF IT SO HAPPENS THAT THE PERSON ASKING THE QUESTION WILL BE AWAY FOR A NUMBER OF DAYS, HE IS TO INDICATE THIS AND TO PASS THE ANSWER TO ONE OF THE HOSTS OR ANOTHER MEMBER THUS ENSURING THAT UPON CORRECT REPLY, THE QUIZ MAY PROCEED]

Christophe, are you up to it? I am ready to help out with monitoring and keeping tabs until we can set the ball rolling once again. I'd also suggest that we make a fresh start with statistics to rekindle new interest.

Should anyone have further suggestions that will make the game more accessible and easier to play, please go ahead - This is the time and place for such suggestions.

I hope that with the number of fresh members we can kick start the quiz again.

Regards,

Jim :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...
    • Replies 1.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK....lets run a test of the above rules and see if we can get things started.

The rules may eventually be modified but the most important thing, is to request one specific answer without making it so obscure that nobody can find the reply.

I hope that this kicks off again, and also hope that all previous particpants as well as new members will return to the quiz.

Good luck to all.

QUESTION 1

I wear an impressive array of medals that should readily identify me. I can also be associated with a high profile trial held in the mid 50s.

Point scoring question:

What is my name (very easy) and what was my involvement in this trial (easy)?

Other question:

Please provide some other information about the trial.

Good luck!

And we've got our first winner :jumping: - Lets get this thing going guys:

The score is

Hauptmann (Dan) 1 point

Dan please set the next question when you have the time. Lets try to keep the questions relatively simple.

Question 2

Perhaps the Soviet Union's most complex ribbon...

...which medal or order does this ribbon represent and what do the colours in the ribbon represent?

Another relatively uncomplicated question to get things going....

Good luck.

Question 2

...which medal or order does this ribbon represent and what do the colours in the ribbon represent?

Another relatively uncomplicated question to get things going....

Good luck.

Uni Soviet Order of Victory :cool:

Question 2

Windu - you got the ribbon right, but forgot the rest of the question...

Order of Victory

The ribbons of various Soviet orders have been combined to create the Order's ribbon.

The following featured orders are depicted on the ribbon (read from outside towards the center):

• Order of Glory (Орден Славы). Orange with black center stripe.
    • Order of Bogdan Khmelnitsky (Орден Богдана Хмельницкого). Light blue stripe.
    • Order of Alexander Nevsky (Орден Александра Невского). Dark red stripe.
    • Order of Kutuzov (Орден Кутузова). Dark blue stripe.
    • Order of Suvorov (Орден Суворова). Green stripe.
    • Order of Lenin (Орден Ленина). Large Red stripe (center section).

Edited by Harvey

Windu - you got the ribbon right, but forgot the rest of the question...

Order of Victory

The ribbons of various Soviet orders have been combined to create the Order's ribbon.

The following featured orders are depicted on the ribbon (read from outside towards the center):

• Order of Glory (Орден Славы). Orange with black center stripe.
    • Order of Bogdan Khmelnitsky (Орден Богдана Хмельницкого). Light blue stripe.
    • Order of Alexander Nevsky (Орден Александра Невского). Dark red stripe.
    • Order of Kutuzov (Орден Кутузова). Dark blue stripe.
    • Order of Suvorov (Орден Суворова). Green stripe.
    • Order of Lenin (Орден Ленина). Large Red stripe (center section).

I'm late on posting it, you got it first Harvey, the computer was error..:speechless:

Edited by kapten_windu

Agreed that Harvey got this one... Sorry Windu but the answer was incomplete.

Its very interesting to see how the combined ribbons of various other Soviet Orders make up the Order of Victory ribbon.

The score is now as follows:

SCORE

1 point - Hauptmann (Dan)

1 point - Harvey

Harvey, as you answere the last question correctly, please feel free to ask question number 3. We're waiting.

(Remeber the rules - nothing too complex or obscure that is not researchable!!)

Just popping in for a few minutes as I'm on duty and have to run again soon. But wanted to thank Jim again for handling the next question due to my being unexpectedly called into work for an extra day. Also congrats to Harvey and to Windu as well for making a great try and getting part of the answer! jumping.gifjumping.gif

So far a great start to the quiz! beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

This is what I thought initially to be a mining or agricultaral badge. However, the book, compass and set square indicate that this award must be more than just that, and perhaps, a general labour award - with no apparant military connotations.

The text is distinctly Georgian and I'd say that placed on the backdrop of a red banner probably reads "Proletariat of the World Unite" This in my mind makes it an Order of the Red Banner.

Georgian language + Order of the red banner + labour = Order of the Red banner of Labour of the Gerogian Republic.

I hit my Orders of the Soviet Republic book and there it was.

Some background = First awarded in 1928 to the 21 Independent Engineer Battallion of the Red Banner Caucasian Army. This version of the award is an exceedingly rare award as in 1931, the design was altered. The reason for this was that the overall shape made it uncomfortable for daily wear (and I wold also add that the reverse had lots of protruding pins used to hold the medal together that this surely snagged a few cardigans!!)

4 specimens of the 1928 variation of the Order of Red Banner of Labour are known to exist in the museums of CIS countries as well as private collections and only 10 specimens of the 1931 variation. Unconfirmed information of only 184 awards of this order - Source: Orders of the Soviet Republic - Kutzenko & Smirov

Very good, Jim! Your point.

I first came across this when I spent 5 months in the Republic of Georgia training their troops for duty in Iraq. If memory serves, one of these rare specimens was in a museum we visited in Tbilisi, though at the time I had no idea what badge it was.

Edited by Harvey

Thanks Harvey.

This is what I love about the quiz. Thanks to your question I am now a touch more familiar with someting I may have only glanced at previously many years back when I bought the book!!

The score is now as follows:

SCORE

1 point - Hauptmann (Dan)

1 point - Harvey

1 point - JimZ

Will prepare my next question shortly.

I know what you mean - I've been playing Mervyn Mitton's "QUICK TEASER" quiz in The Lounge, and I now know nearly every British medal by heart, as well as increasing my knowledge of truncheons, Georgian & Victorian silverware, and various other objects of militaria that I never would've thought about!

QUESTION 4

Who is this girl and what was the question she asked.

As additional material, please tell us her story.

Good luck!

American schoolgirl Samantha Smith, born 1972. In 1982, she wrote a letter to Jurij Andropov, asking him wether he will vote for war or not. (the translation from wikipedia follows). She was then invited to Soviet union, where she met many famous persons etc.

Dear Mr. Andropov, My name is Samantha Smith. I am ten years old. Congratulations on your new job. I have been worrying about Russia and the United States getting into a nuclear war. Are you going to vote to have a war or not? If you aren't please tell me how you are going to help to not have a war. This question you do not have to answer, but I would like to know why you want to conquer the world or at least our country. God made the world for us to live together in peace and not to fight. Sincerely,Samantha Smith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samantha_Smith

Regards, Valter