News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some Photos from Tropenmuseum

I got some photos from my friend, he got it from Tropenmuseum, Netherland,

This photo were taken when Indonesia still called Nederland Indie (under Dutch)

Anyone can help identify the ODM of these poeple?

Here some of them:

Local ruler of Karangasem:

wearing:

1. Order of Oranje Nassau Officer

2. ???

3. Nichan al Iftikar - Tunisia

4. ???

5. Order of White Elephant-Thailand

Edited by kapten_windu

Raden Ario Majangkoro (1832-1906), was a KNIL officer (Last=Colonel) from Madura,

he join some campaign/expeditions in Bali, Borneo, Atjeh, and Lombok

He wears:

1. Wlliam Military Order 4th class

2. ???

3. Trouw Dienst/Service Medal

4. Expedition cross

5. Lombok Cross

• 2 weeks later...

I got some photos from my friend, he got it from Tropenmuseum, Netherland,

This photo were taken when Indonesia still called Nederland Indie (under Dutch)

Anyone can help identify the ODM of these poeple?

Here some of them:

Local ruler of Karangasem:

wearing:

1. Order of Oranje Nassau Officer

2. ???

3. Nichan al Iftikar - Tunisia

4. ???

5. Order of White Elephant-Thailand

This picture is of H.H. Sri Paduka Ratu Anak Agung Agung AnglurahKetut Karangasem, Raja of Karangasem, reigned 1908-1950.

The orders and decorations that he held were: Officer of the Order of Orange-Nassau, Great Gold Star for Loyalty and Merit, Nishan-i-Iftihkar 4thclass of Tunisia, Officer of the Order of the Black Star of Benin of France,and 5th class of the Order of the White Elephant of Siam. All of which you can see worn in the picture.

Cheers

James Hoard

Unknown (Sultan Lingga?? or Sultan Siak?? or who??)

wearing:

Order of Oranje Nassau

and i'm not sure about the other order, any thoughts??

This is a portrait of H.H.Sri Paduka Sultan al-Sayyid Sharif Muhammad ibni al-Marhum Sultan al-Sayyid Sharif Yusuf al-Kadri, Sultan of Pontianak, reigned 1895-1944. He was beheaded by the Japanese, along with a score of other Bornean rulers at Mandor in June 1944.

Apart from the ON, the other orders are his own.

The picture seems to date from a period relatively early in the twentieth century. By the late 1930's the Sultan seems to have instituted at least two other orders. Alas, I have still not even been able to discover even their names, let alone any details about them. The present Sultan and his family do not know anything about these decorations.

Cheers,

James Hoard

SISKS Pakoe Boewono IX

Wearing:

Order of Kasenapaten

???

Order of Netherlands Lion

???

???

The other orders would be the Bintang Kumpeni, Bintang Dandaels and the Kanjeng Kyai Suryawasesa. Although the last is highest ranking of all the Surakarta decorations, I would not be able to point out which one is which.

Cheers

James Hoard

Sultan Hamengkoe Boewono VIII with Governor Generalgeneral, so many decorations!! anyone can help identify them??

I don't think that is the Governor-General but probably the local Resident or Governor.

The Sultan's list of decorations read as follows: Knight Grand Cross of the Order ofOrange-Nassau, and Commander of the Order of the Netherlands Lion, Grand Cross of the Orders of the Wendish Crown of Mecklenburg,Royal Order of Cambodia, and Black Star of Benin of France, Grand Cordon (2nd class) of theOrder of the Brilliant Jade of China, Knight Commander of the Order of the Crownof Siam, Grand Cordon of the Order ofLeopold, Grand Officer of the Order of Leopold II of Belgium, and the Order ofthe Million Elephants and White Parasol of Luang Prabang, Commander with Star of theOrder of Vasa of Sweden.

Although some can be seen clearly in your picture, it is far too small to identify all of them very accurately.

Cheers,

James Hoard

Mangkoenegoro IV

wearing:

Order of Netherland Lion

???

He served as a young officer during the Java War of 1826-1830 with the Mankunegaran Legion's Parjurit Company and Captain of Infantry. So the second decoration was probably for those services. Was there a "War Cross" for that campaign?

Cheers,

James

He served as a young officer during the Java War of 1826-1830 with the Mankunegaran Legion's Parjurit Company and Captain of Infantry. So the second decoration was probably for those services. Was there a "War Cross" for that campaign?

Cheers,

James

Hi James, thank you for the identification, but as long as i knew there's no War Cross for Java War, there just a round shaped Java medal.. :)

Maybe Dutch long service medal with wrong ribbon??

This is a portrait of H.H.Sri Paduka Sultan al-Sayyid Sharif Muhammad ibni al-Marhum Sultan al-Sayyid Sharif Yusuf al-Kadri, Sultan of Pontianak, reigned 1895-1944. He was beheaded by the Japanese, along with a score of other Bornean rulers at Mandor in June 1944.

Apart from the ON, the other orders are his own.

The picture seems to date from a period relatively early in the twentieth century. By the late 1930's the Sultan seems to have instituted at least two other orders. Alas, I have still not even been able to discover even their names, let alone any details about them. The present Sultan and his family do not know anything about these decorations.

Cheers,

James Hoard

Oh, poor him,

OK, it's being more mysterious for me to know what medal are they.. :)

This is Order of Medjidie for Sultan Jambi..

I've post under Turkey section about this..

Now it's on museum kesultanan Jambi..

Although I have seen that mentioned on the web, that decoration wasn't conferred on the Sultan of Jambi but on an envoy who went to Turkey. I had a note of his name somewhere but cannot now find it.

If you look carefully, the example is of a lower class decoration (3rd class?). A reigning Sultan would have at least received the 1st class or the murassa (bejewelled) grade.

Cheers,

James

oh, i see,,

The information from my source is very unclear, maybe the he was misinterpreting it's as Sultan's, not the envoy..

Many of the orders existency and the information were gone as the Dutch attack and erase that kingdom/sultanate, during Japanese invasion, or National Revolution during Indonesian Independence struggle..

Many of the order destroyed or stolen during that period..

It's very difficult to track and get sufficient information of them, but that's the challenge.. :)

Most interesting photo of Raden Ario Majangkoro, he is wearing:

1 - MWO4

2 - Medal for Bravery and Loyalty 1839 (this was equivalent to MWO, but only for natives)

3 - This is not a Long Service Medal (whis is only for NCO ans below) but the Atjeh Medal 1872

4 - The Expedition Cross with Crown for Mention In Despatches

5 - This is not the Lombok Cross, but the Officers'Cross for Loyal Service

Also he is holding the Sabre of Honour, a rare decoration for Officers who already were holders of the MWO but who cold not be promoted to next higher class.