News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Saxon officer with Lippe-Detmold War Honor Cross for Heroic Deed

Hi everybody,

Here is new photo I have received this morning. A rare photo of saxon officer (showing his St Henry on medal bar) with two medals from Lippe Detmold

The rarity, the War Honor Cross for the Heroic Deed. Only 740 awards during the WW1. For the moment I can't read the back of the text to know who is he. If someone can help me with translation, thanks in advance.

Christophe

Here is some close up of the medal bar and the Lippe War Honor Cross. Note that our officer has not received the iron cross 1st class yet.

How can it be possible to a Saxon officer to receive this cross. What connection with Lippe-Detmold has he got ? Was he born in Lippe States and move after ?

Christophe

Hi Christophe,

it is a private message:

"Feldpost: Tasche, Hptm

Zeithain Sa[chsen]

Fräulein

Erna Tellmann

v. Siemens'sche (?)

Wendisch-Ahlsdorf

Post Schönewalde

Bez[irk] Halle

Zeithain Sa. 17.9.1918.

Liebe Nichte!

In (location?), wo es allen recht wohl war, hörte ich, daß Du gar nicht so weit weg von Z[eithain] seist. Da kann es leicht aufkommen, daß Du in allernächster Zeit unerwarteten Besuch ehältst, wenn es sich in der kurzen Zeit bis 1.10. ermöglichen läßt.

Mit herzl. Gruß"

Uwe

Here is some close up of the medal bar and the Lippe War Honor Cross. Note that our officer has not received the iron cross 1st class yet.

How can it be possible to a Saxon officer to receive this cross. What connection with Lippe-Detmold has he got ? Was he born in Lippe States and move after ?

Christophe

Outstanding photo.

Can anyone make out what #5 is?

Christophe -maybe his unit would help. Can you make a closeup of his shoulderboard?

Claudius,

Here is close up of the shoulderboards (it's the best I can do). The color of the photo is too much crossed to be scan correctly. I have realized a close up of the last medal. Seems to be the centenary medal, but not sure at all

Christophe

Great photo. Interesting that he has a St. Henry, but no EK1. I just got a pinback Kriegsverdienstkreuz of Lippe, which is identical to the Honor Cross, but without the motto. I'm looking for a photo of this in wear.

Many thanks for the translation.

I have found one Hauptmann d. R Albrecht Tasche who received the SH3 and the SA3aX.

I continue my research

Christophe

Dr. Albrecht Tasche was a Landesversicherungsrat in the Rheinische Provinzialfeuerversicherungsanstalt in Düsseldorf. He was commissioned a Sekondelieutenant der Reserve in Saxon IR 107 on 16 November 1898. He was promoted Oberleutnant der Reserve on 24 June 1907 and Hauptmann der Reserve on 22 May 1913. He wasn't an officer in 1897, so I'm not sure that is a Centenary Medal.

Dr. Georg Tasche, who I assume was his brother, was commissioned a Leutnant der Reserve in IR 107 on 27 July 1900. He is not even in the list of Inaktive Offiziere in the 1914 Saxon rank list, so he must have died or completely left Saxon service.

Regards,

Dave

Why are we all focussing on a Tasche who received a SA3X which doesnot show in wear on the photo?

- His name is on the picture postcard.

- The SH3/SA3aX Albrecht Tasche appears to be the only Hauptmann Tasche in the Saxon Army

- According to his entry in the Prussian Court and State Handbook, Tasche did have Saxon and Lippe decorations, although the entries there are messed up (they have "LMVK", which is not the abbreviation for an award in the index; it should be LKEK or LKVK; they also don't show the SH3 and the SA3a is missing a "[m.Schw.]", but messed-up non-Prussian awards are typical in the Prussian handbook)

- Tasche received his SH3 on 21.3.15 and the SA3aX a year later, on 25.1.16. The picture may have been taken between those two dates, perhaps when he received the LKEK.

Not a perfect answer, but my best guess based on the available information.

• 1 year later...

Dr. Albrecht Tasche was a Landesversicherungsrat in the Rheinische Provinzialfeuerversicherungsanstalt in Düsseldorf. He was commissioned a Sekondelieutenant der Reserve in Saxon IR 107 on 16 November 1898. He was promoted Oberleutnant der Reserve on 24 June 1907 and Hauptmann der Reserve on 22 May 1913. He wasn't an officer in 1897, so I'm not sure that is a Centenary Medal.

Dr. Georg Tasche, who I assume was his brother, was commissioned a Leutnant der Reserve in IR 107 on 27 July 1900. He is not even in the list of Inaktive Offiziere in the 1914 Saxon rank list, so he must have died or completely left Saxon service.

Regards,

Dave

An older topic, but for what it is worth, Georg Tasche served as a Hptm.d.L.a.D. with Saxon Landwehr-Brigade-Ersatz-Bataillon Nr. 47, which became part of LIR 350. He was wounded in 1916 with 12./LIR 350. He was also a native of Lippe-Detmold (born in Lückhausen), so he might have gotten an LK, but I don't see any Saxon war decorations in the Saxon rolls published by Roth. In the 1912 Saxon rank list, he is shown as an OLt.d.L. with the SLD2.

Albrecht Tasche was born in Grastrup-Hölsen.

The villages of Lückhausen and Grastrup-Hölsen are about 2 kilometers each other.

Regards,

Dave

• 8 months later...

For the moment I have only two positive names of Saxon officers who received the Lippe cross for heroic deed during WW1 :

Oberst Konrad von Koppenfels and Hauptmann d. R. Albert Tasche

Maybe they are more names but that's all I have for the moment

Christophe

Guest Rick Research

The last medal is the Detmold 1905 Lawsuit Medal-- the "Thronanspruch" court case that Detmold won over the succession fight with Schaumburg since 1897.

He's on that medal's roll as Gerichtsassessor in Lage.

I had NO idea he was a St. Henry winner or Saxon officer. GREAT thread!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

(Remember? I see blurs & smudges....) :whistle::cat:

Edited by Rick Research

The last medal is the Detmold 1905 Lawsuit Medal-- the "Thronanspruch" court case that Detmold won over the succession fight with Schaumburg since 1897.

He's on that medal's roll as Gerichtsassessor in Lage.

I had NO idea he was a St. Henry winner or Saxon officer. GREAT thread!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

(Remember? I see blurs & smudges....) :whistle::cat:

Argh...I had this medal in my mind, but yesterday evening it was too late and I was too tired to check the rolls.

BR

Roman

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Tasche received te EK2 on 26 september 1914. Thanks to Dave and Roman for giing me date of the LE for this officer. He received it on 1st March 1916.It is possible that he received the Lippe KVK on same date ?.

And it's strange that he received the SA"aX on January and it does not appear here on his medal bar. Proobably he has not taken time to put it on his medal bar and was so proud of his Lippe medals

Christophe

Edited by Deruelle