News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A new little display for my collection.

CRBeery

Hello,

I bought this little display last week in a local antique shop. It looks to have been taped into the back of a picture frame at one time and I plan to put it back into one for display. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone could answer.

First, is it possible that these were to one man? I don't remember having ever come across a group with three campaign medals in it. There is a silver star on the European/Africa and three bronze on the Pacific - that seems like a lot of action and no good conduct, Purple Heart or valor pieces.

Second, can you tell me what the two ribbons on the bottom center are for as well as the red,white and blue one over the National Defence medal is. I looked at a couple of web pages but could not find these. Is the solid red one a unit commendation? I am a little ashamed to be an American and not know my own ribbons. I need to learn and that is why I am here.

Thanks,

Chet

1. The Red, yellowish, and blue horizonal ribbon over the National Defense Service medal is the:

Navy Presidential Unit Citiation.

2. The ribbons on the two place bar are:

a.Philippean Liberation medal with two campaign stars(three campaigns total for this bar and devices). This medal was awarded to the men who took part in the fighting in the Philippeans by the Philippean Government.

b.The second Ribbon(the solid red one ) is the Navy Good Conduct medal. It was awarded for four years of Honorable service in the Navy.

I hope that this helps.

Nice find!

So this is one guy? Too bad that the person that did this did not write a name on it. There are layout lines on the back of the card board and I wish an extra 10 seconds would have been taken to add "Uncle Joe Smith" to give it a little more history. This will make a nice wall hanger for when I finally get my own space.

Thank you all for the help and comments.

Chet

Thanks again guys. I will get this framed to protect it again. I bought it in a big Ziploc bag. A navy guy is fine with me. This is my second US group then. The first is the most cherished militaria I own - it was my Grandfathers!

A 100% possible group... my step-grandfather's was nearly identical. I wonder if this sailor was a USS WASP crewmember... They ferried RAF aircraft in the Med before going to the Pacific and being sunk in 1942.

Dave

The Navy PUC ( the one with the horizontal stripes) ...check the star to see if it is blue..

Early awards used a blue ceramic star to denote subsequent awards of the Navy PUC. Due to production difficulties, this was later changed to a blue enameled star. In 1949 the appurtenance was finally changed to a bronze 3/16 inch star.