News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello all,

today I got together with a huge lot of photos one that seems to be interesting but raises some questions also.....

It is a original old private photo postcard from ww1 of the later Reichsführer SS Heinrich Himmler as a young soldier together with 2 comrades ath the front!!! I have seen a photo of Himmler as young soldier before so I am shure that it is him , additional on the reverse he has written by his own hand "Herzliche Grüße..... dein Onkel Heinrich"

As this is absolutely not my field of collecting I want to put this one in the for sale box but of course I want to be shure of it 100% , so please help me with some answers , if you like with email or pm

1. does anyone know Himmlers handwriting as a young man to compare it with mine...

2. general question , is there a interest by collectors in these "early day photos" of the later 3.Reich chiefs ???

3. of course , what price can be asked for such a photo??? I have absolutely no clue and don`t want to make fantasy prices.....

I will add a scan of the card tonight to this post....

thanks in advance for all answers and help

Heiko

Heiko,

I'm fairly sure Himmler did not serve in WW1- he was too young. I read somwhere it was the bane of his life, that he alone amongst the Third Reich top brass had no WW1 medals to wear.

he was born 1900 , wanted to serve in the navy but they did not take him because of his glasses....he ended then in a bavarian infantery regiment as officers aspirant....but as far as I now know he did not come into action anymore.....

Are these men Bavarians? (close-up of belt buckle or shoulder straps may help)

During 1918 Himmler was briefly in training with the Bavarian Regiment Nr.11 but never made it to the front.

Himmler never was awarded the HK.

Here is the young Himmler

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2011/post-1062-0-45481900-1310849106.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2011/post-1062-0-49771800-1310848764.jpg

Edited by Naxos

On the back it reads:

"Die herzliche Grüße hier aus Mitau sendet dir dein Onkel Heinrich"

Mitau is the German name for the Latvian city of Jelgava. German troops occupied the city during WWI. In 1919 Mitau became a battleground between Bolshevik Red Guards, German paramilitaries, and Latvian freedom fighters.

I don't think it is him but if you can place Himmler in Mitau during 1918/19 you have proof. However, my guess is that the sniffling little coward was save in Bavaria during that time.

Edited by Naxos

• 3 months later...

Well...it looks like him. I vote yes.

Don Boyle has a group of early Himmler photos you might want to compare him to-but I gotta say, the shape of the nose, the ears, the head-that looks like the man.

I always wondered why Himmler never got the HK without swords.

I think as well, it is him - add to Ulstermann's observations the fact that the unit is correct. During 1918 Himmler was briefly in training with the Bavarian Regiment Nr.11 but never made it to the front.

For the HK with or without swords, one had to have at least some menial involvement in the war.

Just dressing up some sickly little coward in Bavaria would be more then stretching the requirements for this award.

Edited by Naxos

Actually, my understanding of the award was a minimum of 10 days in uniform in war time service (or death/wounding)....in any location.

Correct, if a service term was cut short to 10 days by wounding, death, legit illness or the end of the war. For a person that, after some time in training, was found to be utterly unfit for military service, the ten day rule did not apply.

Edited by Naxos

so...Himmler was booted out the German army in 1919 as unfit?

... more like, sent back home - I'm sure you are familiar with the abbreviation: "RTM"

quote: "He implored his father to use his royal connections to obtain an officer candidate position for him. His parents eventually gave in, allowing him to train (upon graduation from secondary school in 1918) with the 11th Bavarian Regiment. Since he was not athletic, he struggled throughout his military training."