News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

one op 2 medals?

gibbo

I do hope i`m not about to ask a daft question, especially as i`m a newbie to this site and to Indian medals. I`ve been reading Ed Haynes and Rana Chhina`s excellent book, "Medals And Decorations Of Independent India". Would i be right in thinking there are 2 medals for Op Vijay? (the Star and the Medal) With the exception of The Queens Korea Medal and The UN Korea medal "double dipping" is not done in the "British" system. Is this an anomily in the Indian system?...why 2 medals for Op Vijay?

Hello gibbo and welcome to the GMIC.

Your question is a valid one, no such thing as a daft question.

The medal is for serving in support of the operations while the star denoted service in the actual combat zone.

This is a common thing with Indian medals such as the Paschimi Star and the Sangram Medal,or the Poovri Star and also the Sangram Medal or in the case of the Samar Seva Star and the Raksha Medal.

The medal could be awarded alone in all of these cases as a soldier might has served only in a support role.

The Star is never awarded alone but always with the medal as the soldier not only served in the area but as well as in the combat zone.

I hope this is of some help.

Regards

Brian

Many thanks for the welcome and such a quick reply! I`ve been navigating my way around the site and i must say i`m very impressed :rolleyes: Its opened up a whole new area of intrest for me, in fact theres so much i`m not sure what to look at next...the info on the Op Vijay medals has answered my question, although i`m sure i`ll have plenty more!...

Many thanks for the welcome and such a quick reply! I`ve been navigating my way around the site and i must say i`m very impressed :rolleyes: Its opened up a whole new area of intrest for me, in fact theres so much i`m not sure what to look at next...the info on the Op Vijay medals has answered my question, although i`m sure i`ll have plenty more!...

Most of the members, if not all of them, are more than willing to help with your questions. ;)

That's one of things I think you will enjoy about our forum.

Regards

Brian