News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Kutuzov awarded to Spetsnaz Airborne Unit

TacHel

On April 4, 2011, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev awarded the Order of Kutuzov to the 45th Separate Guards Airborne (Spetsnaz) Regiment.

The unit, which already had the sashes (ribbons) of the Order of Alexander Nevsky and of the Order of St George adorning its regimental colours, was presented the award as per the September 7, 2010 decree, for the successful execution of combat assignments, and for the personal courage and heroism of its members. . The personnel of the regiment participated in anti-terrorist operations in the North Caucasus, particularly in the Chechen Republic, and in operations in Georgia.

From 1991 to 2010, this award belonged to the category of so-called "sleeping orders" because it was connected to the statutes and symbols of the Soviet Union. The aforementioned 2010 presidential decree, under which the Order was given a new appearance, aligns it with current Russian awards.

President Dmitry Medvedev attaching the ribbon of the Order of Kutuzov to the regimental colours.

President Medvedev congratulating the highly decorated unit commander.

On his left breast, the Lt-Col is wearing the badge of Hero of the Russian Federation, the Order of St George 4th class and no less than three Orders of Courage.

On his right breast he is wearing three Orders of the Red Star (probably earned in Afghanistan), the Order For Service to the Homeland in the Armed Forces 3rd class, a Soviet Era Guards badge and his paratrooper badge. The silver-grey badge at center is unknown to me, possibly a special qualification badge?

I found out a bit more about this officer for you. OK... I was curious too! blush.gif

His name is Anatoly Lebed, born 1963, joined the service in 1981 (wow, same years as me!).

He served in Afghanistan in a helicopter regiment as a flight engineer, that's where he earned his 3 Orders of the red Star. He served for some years in Germany then retired to the reserves in 1994. In 1999, he went to the North Caucasus as a volunteer in the combined militias after purchasing his own equipment! When military ops moved into Chechnya, he went to Moscow and re upped in the service and got right back to the fighting. In 2003, while engaged in combat in the Ulus-Kert mountains, he stepped on a mine and lost a foot. His superior physical fitness allowed him to remain in the service with a prosthesis. In a subsequent battle, he was injured by multiple fragment wounds in the back while shielding his men from the blast of a rocket propelled grenade. Even wounded he continued leading the patrol leading to the capture and destruction of a terrorist base.

He was awarded the Title of Hero of the Russian Federation on April 6, 2005 by Presidential Decree "for courage and heroism in the performance of military duties in the North Caucasus". He then held the rank of captain.

In this picture following an awards ceremony, which explains the position of his newly received Order of St George 4th class, he is seen in conversation with the Russian President and Defense Minister. To his right are 2 officers of his unit who just received the Order of Courage. Behind him, one of his NCOs just decorated with the Cross of St George 4th class.

Edited by TacHel

I've managed to ID the badge worn by Lt-col Lebed on his R/H breast pocket (both on his combat and full dress uniforms). I first thought it might be a qualification insignia as worn by the other members of his unit but no, turns out it's a unit badge (see pic below).

Edited by TacHel

• 2 weeks later...

Just a postscript, but if I recall right, Lebed was also the guy who led an element of the 45th Regt. into Poti, Georgia during the 2008 war and essentially sunk the Georgian Coast Guard there. I have some pics of that somewhere that I'll try and dig out...

Just a postscript, but if I recall right, Lebed was also the guy who led an element of the 45th Regt. into Poti, Georgia during the 2008 war and essentially sunk the Georgian Coast Guard there. I have some pics of that somewhere that I'll try and dig out...

That would be great! Looking forward to seeing that!

This is the only one I saved, but I know there are more out there. 13 August 2008. Also, I didn't recall til now, but I'm pretty sure the unit goes by the moniker 'Grey Wolves,' too...

It seems there's a Spetsnaz kick going on in Russia these days--I just saw this one today:

Russian president hails, decorates special unit that fought in war with Georgia

August 8, 2011

[Presenter] The 10th Separate Brigade of the Defence Ministry spetsnaz [special-purpose troops] was one of the first to stand in the way of the Georgian troops in those August days [of 2008]. Dmitriy Medvedev visited its base today. Seventy-six of its servicemen were earlier awarded orders and medal for courage, while Pte Rashufan Abdullin was posthumously awarded the tile of Hero of Russia.

The president spoke highly of the brigade's achievements and combat skills, and presented it with the Order of Zhukov.

[The 10th Separate Brigade of the spetsnaz was formed in May 2003, in the village of Molkino in Krasnodar Territory. "It is a combined reconnaissance unit of the Southern Military District and is designed to provide the command with timely intelligence," the report said, adding that its personnel "took part in the operation to force Georgia into peace in August 2008".]

The Crosses of St George are not Orders and in my humble opinion, they replace the 3 grades of the Order of Glory. They are way below the Order of Valour in the order of precedense of the Russian Federation being classed as decorations which by definition, come after Orders.

Edited by TacHel

The Crosses of St George are not Orders and in my humble opinion, they replace the 3 grades of the Order of Glory. They are way below the Order of Valour in the order of precedense of the Russian Federation being classed as decorations which by definition, come after Orders.

That was going to be my question, what replaced the Order of Glory. Personally, I think the St George medal is a great choice. Wasnt there a large distinction between the Order and Medal during Tsarist times?

Wasnt there a large distinction between the Order and Medal during Tsarist times?

Yes, and that distinction is quite alive today, not only in Russia but in a great many other countries as well.

Orders

Decorations

Medals

In modern Russia the order is:

Titles (Hero of the Russian Federation, Honoured Scientist of the RF, Honoured Military Pilot of the RF, etc)

Orders (Order of Valour, Order of Kutuzov , Order of St George, Order of Suvorov, etc)

Decorations (Cross of St George, Medal of Nesterov, Medal of Suvorov, Life Saving Medal, Medal for Bravery, etc)

Medals (campaign, long service, efficiency, commemoratives, etc)

The Order of St George, as stated above if for senior officers for leading brilliant and successful military operations in the defense of Russia, it is not a bravery award. The Cross of St George is awarded to soldiers, sailors, non-commissioned officers, warrant officers and junior officers for acts of courage, self sacrifice and distinction in battle to protect the homerland from attack. A senior officer beind awarded a decoration for valour/courage would receive the Order of Courage, or, in the case it wasn't quite warranted, the Order of MIlitary Merit.

Edited by TacHel

ADDENDA:

The Order of Lenin was awarded to civilians for outstanding services rendered to the State, to members of the armed forces for exemplary service, to those who promoted friendship and cooperation between peoples and in strengthening peace, and for other meritorious services to the Soviet state and society.

The only modern Russian award that comes close to it is the Order of St Andrew the Apostle. The Order Of Saint Andrew is the highest military and civilian order of Russia. It is awarded for "exceptional services leading to the prosperity and glory of Russia".

Tsarenko, my friend, I give you the point here... After a careful review of the award criteria of all of the top Soviet and modern Russian awards, you are correct. The Soviet equivalent of the Russian Federation's Order of Valour is the Order of the Red Banner.

:beer:

Tsarenko, my friend, I give you the point here... After a careful review of the award criteria of all of the top Soviet and modern Russian awards, you are correct. The Soviet equivalent of the Russian Federation's Order of Valour is the Order of the Red Banner.

Thanks, TacHel! I was awarded by Order of Valour in 1996 but don't think that it's very high decoration...

Thanks, TacHel! I was awarded by Order of Valour in 1996 but don't think that it's very high decoration...

Really?? :o I want to see pictures of you receiving it!! :jumping: I want to read the write up!! :jumping: I want to see the award document!! :jumping:

It is a high award!! Worthy recipients are usually too modest! Be proud!

If You are ready wait before next working day (24th August is Independence Day of Ukraine), I'll do photo of award and document in high resolution. Now - only small size...

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2011/post-4918-0-13892000-1314081521.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2011/post-4918-0-85762600-1314081534.jpg

Edited by tsarenko1975