News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

DISGRACE OF THE MET. POLICE

From what I have heard today, it would seem the Highest Police Officer in Britain - the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police AND the Deputy Commissioner (3rd. highest) have both had to resign due to a bribes scandal. The Metropolitan are the oldest civil Police Force (1829) in the World - 182 years - and it is a terrible disgrace.

I expect it from some Countries - but not our senior Force - I really am shocked.

I too was shocked and not a little saddened by their actions.

Let's hope this is the extent of the corruption.

As from our disscussions you know we have just went through a scandal here in the Waterloo Regional Police Service.

Disgraceful!

Regards

Brian

As always we will get tarred with the same brush!

The Met is the same as every big city Police, the corruption is within the higher officers and the CID not with the uniform guys. And because of this rubbish no one knows that a PC was shot at the weekend unarmed and doing his duty!

The oldest and the best Force in the world.

Craig

In this case, I don't think 'resignation = disgrace'.

Not at all

Quite the reverse.

These men resigned in the good, old fashioned way ........ the buck stopped with them.

A few politicians would do well to take a leaf from their book. Whoever heard of a British politician accepting responsibility for his or her actions,never mind the failings of those under their charge?

As always, serving police officers have their hands tied behind their backs when it comes to responding to media speculation, imagination and downright untruth.

When these men have cast off their uniforms, they will be free to tell the REAL story.

Then all hell will let loose, IMHO.

Maybe I am wrong but something about Stephenson's general demeanour and way of doing business reminded me of that very decent Commissioner Sir Robert Mark. It is a shame to see honest coppers falling on their swords because of besuited scum like the Murdochs, their helpers and the political whores who courted them. Apparently the owner of Champneys is fit to be tied, given that it was actually a mate of Stephenson's who paid for his stay there after his cancer operation. Meanwhile, that blob-faced arse Cameron does a Teflon act that would put Tony Blair to shame. Cameron & Co: undermining decent public servants - police commissioners and armed forces chiefs, as well as NHS workers etc etc etc - in a gilded cage somewhere above us. And we don't even have a credible lunatic fringe to comfort us anymore.

It's bad, guys.

P

Maybe I am wrong but something about Stephenson's general demeanour and way of doing business reminded me of that very decent Commissioner Sir Robert Mark. It is a shame to see honest coppers falling on their swords because of besuited scum like the Murdochs, their helpers and the political whores who courted them. Apparently the owner of Champneys is fit to be tied, given that it was actually a mate of Stephenson's who paid for his stay there after his cancer operation. Meanwhile, that blob-faced arse Cameron does a Teflon act that would put Tony Blair to shame. Cameron & Co: undermining decent public servants - police commissioners and armed forces chiefs, as well as NHS workers etc etc etc - in a gilded cage somewhere above us. And we don't even have a credible lunatic fringe to comfort us anymore.

It's bad, guys.

P

Well said! :cheers:

I agree with Robin's comment on Prosper's reply - just about sums things up ! I made a point of watching the UK 10p.m. news last night - and as an aside they revealed that the British Army is the smallest in numbers - ever......

For clarity with our non-British members - the Commissioner is the top police officer in Britain and is the equivalent of a full general. There are four Assistant Commissioners - each the equivalent of a major general - or, in Police terms - a Chief Constable. This has been coming for some time - young 'high flyers' being politically promoted above their abilities. You mention Sir Robert Mark - probably the last of the disciplinarians - he was brought into the Met. to sort out the CID - and did a good job. He opened my exhibition in the East End and I sat on his left at the formal opening lunch - I think I was the only Constable there .

This is a purely personal point of view and hope not to upset our police colleagues, but in my opinion these two clowns deserved everything they got. Which senior officer in their right mind could expect to be wined and dined and have all the trimmings of "corporate" hospitality and not end up getting their fingers burnt?

I'm not familiar with the treatment of police officers after sickness/injury, but surely if available he(Commissioner) could have opted for physio along with the rest of those lads and lasses who are on the frontline of policing, never mind accepting £12,000 worth of "it's on the house guv - wink,wink,nod,nod".

Sadly it could be the tip of the iceberg and if what Brookes has said, is true and they've regularly paid officers at the Met for info then it's a sad, sad day for all of those who carry out their police duties without batting an eyelid and purely for the love of the job.

I have a great admiration for the police of this country, especially for the frontline troops, but why does it appear that the higher some of these officers get the more removed they seem to become from the reality of "proper bobbying" and their troops, seemingly to concentrate on rubbing shoulders with those who can wine and dine them.

I think that Mervyn has identified the root of the problem in Britain (and elsewhere) today and that is the promotion non-professionals into positions of authority simply because they have an MBA, are Muslim or have some other totally irrelevant qualification. It must be very galling being a 'front-line' policeman in the UK (and elsewhere) and knowing that high rank is out of reach simply because those posts are reserved for politically-correct asses.

Brett

Brett,

I'm not so sure. I would like a system of short term Commisions much like the Army. The useless and indefferent will go to jobs in the city with something nice on their CV and the good Seniors stay on learning as they go.

I would also put into place promotion for the lower ranks on merit and skills. The ability to pass an exam in my view is not enough to promote them as is the case at the moment.

Best

Craig

Craig

I agree about the promotion on the basis of merit and skills. My experience in the academic world is that clever, exam-writing people may be short of common sense and other skills needed to get on with people and succeed in their jobs and in life.

Short-term contract appointments may be a success in civilised countries, where 'rules' are followed. They do not work in sub-Saharan Africa, where 'short-term' means job-hopping in government departments and avoidance of the private sector, where failings would be exposed.

On reflection, it is very unfair for a South African to feel disillusioned about the Metropolitan Police. We have more than enough in this country to feel disillusioned about.

Regards

Brett

There was an interesting article in Time or newsweek some time ago... a Guy who had worked his way up (Engineer9 to top management in the US Automotive industry... he was complaining that the US used "Numbers crunchers " to optimise production in WW"... and after the war these men, along with the following classloads of MBAs invaded the workforce, taking over jobs that people who understood something of their industry (Engineers etc.) and used their MBA skills to optimise certain things but at the same time destroying the firms products (Quality, customer happyness etc),

The article went on to say, the fact that China is opening 50 MBA schools will in the long run be of huge benifit to US industry ;-)

To not expect things like this to happen is, in my mind, expecting way too much of human nature.

Put simply - those who lack integrity do sometimes make it to the top, in the same way as those of good integrity. Moreover, those of good integrity do sometimes lose it along the way as power often corrupts.

Its our general expectation, or at least hope, that good should prevail over evil, as well the fact that society should reward those that really deserve it, that leads us to be shocked when the opposite happens.

However, human nature will regrettably remain human nature, and this makes those of good integrity, who remain untarnished, an even smaller species.....that is not to say however that there are lots of good people around who are commendable, but whose actions are then overshadowed by the those of the rotten apples.

Jim :cheers:

Brett pointed out that even here - which is probably still better then most parts of Africa - the traffic police will ask if you want to pay the fine in 'cash' - or, go to Court.

I find it hard to express the feeling of 'disgrace' that I personally feel over this humiliation. The Metropolitan Police has a tradition that goes back to 1829 - virtually every change - in procedure or, uniforms and equipment - has been pioneered by us and then adopted in other Forces.

We have many retired and serving members within our GMIC - some of them retiring with very senior ranks - and I am quite sure that all feel this same sense of being let down by people of low moral values - and an urge to get something for nothing. Someone pointed out - the Commissioner could have had any treatment he needed - the Met. have enough facilities.

The sooner it all goes away the better - meanwhile, I shall no longer speak to Craig (not really) and will tell everyone I used to serve in Dorset Constabulary...........