News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Emin Relief Expedition Star 1887 to 1889

I am not sure if this post is in the correct place, if not, I am sure our capable moderators will place it where it shoud be.

THE EMIN RELIEF EXPEDITION

Formed under the auspices of the Royal Geographical Society, the expedition was sent to Africa by the Royal Geographical Society. The purpose of the expedition was to rescue Emin Bey and his followers after the Sudan had been abandoned to the Mahdi after 1884/5. Emin Pasha was the Governor of the Equatorial Province of the Sudan. The expedition trans versed Central Africa from the West to East coast and suffered innumerable hardships and dangers. Of the 748 African participants, only 245 are known to have survived. The expedition lasted nearly two years. The expedition was led by the interpid explorer, Henry Morton Stanley.

Edited by sabrigade

The Royal Geographical Society ordered between approximately 200 of the stars from Carrington and Son of Birmingham for the princely sum of 7 shillings each. They are believed to have been manufactured by H. Jenkins. The stars are manufactured from sterling silver and are hallmarked "Birmingham 1889-90". 175 Stars were sent to McKenzie and Company in East Africa for distribution to the intended recipients and very few of these stars can be expected to have survived over the years. Nine of the stars were engraved with the recipient's name on the reverse. Three stars are in the RGS museum and 2 unnamed stars were personally given to Stanley. This specific example could possibly be one of the Stars owned by Stanley and it is accompanied by a personalized note/message from him.

The expedition suffered very high losses and of the 60 Sudanese members of the expedition, 38 died, 2 were executed and 1 deserted. Only 19 Sudanese are therefore known to have survived the expedition. 12 Somalis and 675 Zanzabaris also took part. Of these members, 11 of the Somalis died or were killed. The Zanzibaris had 257 of their number killed/died, 2 were executed and 191 deserted. Therefore, 1 Somali and 225 Zanzibaris are known to have survived and completed the expedition. It is very apparent that the attrition rate of the expedition was extremely high.

This is a therefore a very rare and exceptional award.

Edited by sabrigade

Will - another good article on a rare subject. Brian and I both agree it is worthy of the two week pinning.

I must tell you that I am a Life Fellow of the RGS and I've never seen any history in the Society House. I found it fascinating.