News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Just arrived today after more than a month tied up in the post. I don't usually collect this type of material but when the opprotunity arose i decided to snap it up.

British Boer War Queen's South Africa Medal: Mafeking Town Guard

Silver Queen's South Africa Medal with third type reverse and impressed in sans-serif capitals on rim "T. JOHNSTONE. MAFEKING TOWN GD:" Medal is mounted on correct ribbon with five clasps: Defence of Mafeking, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902. The Defence of Mafeking clasp is attached to the suspension bar but is not attached to the four rivetted clasps above it. Patina on the Mafeking clasp is also different from the other four clasps. The Mafeking Medal Award Roll reveals that Johnstone received the latter four bars on October 8, 1907, for additional service with various units including Kitchener's Horse, CinC's Field Telegraph Department and 1st Scottish Horse.

Have just begun the research and it appears he served in a total of 8 perhaps 9 different units.

qsa1012.jpg

qsa1011.jpg

qsa1010.jpg

Cheers

Chris

Chris

Any 'Defence of Mafeking' QSA is a great addition to a medal collection and it seems you have acquired a particularly good one, given the man's post 'Defence' service. Thank you for showing the medal.

Regards

Brett

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Gents

I've been reading a period publication on the Siege and find it very interesting. I especially found it interesting that the defenders used pretend defences to deter the Boers such as wooden boxes buried in the ground to make to Boers believe they were placing land mines and stringing imaginary barbed wire. A great accomplishment holding out for 217days when outnumbered by over 8,000 of the enemy.

I can see why a Defence of Mafeking is so highly prized by collectors of Boer War medals.

Cheers

Chris

Chris - a wonderful addition to any collection - I dread to think what you had to pay. They have increased a lot in recent years. I wonder how many QSA Mike has tucked away ? I must ask him ?

Mervyn......

Chris beat me out by 2 minuets in ordering it.......... I cursed him and also wished him luck...... Especially with ALL the bars being confirmed........ What did he pay...... I will let him tell you...... How many do I have tucked away...... 2 - One to Town Guard and One to BSAP...... But I do have 3 Dated (little boast)........

Mike

Chris - a wonderful addition to any collection - I dread to think what you had to pay. They have increased a lot in recent years. I wonder how many QSA Mike has tucked away ? I must ask him ?

I paid approximately 20% of the MYB listing. With shipping it was $405cdn . Great incentive to snatch it up and fill a spot in the cabinet. I don't think i ever would have purchased one otherwise as they've been selling in the $2,100-2,200 range for a single clasp medal. I found one currently listed on a dealer site for $2,500cdn. It was a great find. Something i need to always take advantage of with a limited collecting budget.

Cheers

Chris

Chris - that is buying at a good price. A thousand pounds is common for o/r's with just the one bar. I bet Mike was 'annoyed' ! I think bargains are around in these present economic difficulties - collectors are still buying - but, it is for the things that enhance their collections - niot just add to them.

Congratulations. Mervyn