News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgaria Long Service Cross, Ferdinand´s issue.

Adopted by the Council of the Order, at its extraordinary meeting held on June 18, 1889, the creation of this new decoration, was approved by a special decree of the Principality. In accordance with Article 8 of the Act, the Order would be given to those "who had spent at least 10 years of continuous military service and during all that time had distinguished themselves by their zeal, exemplary and useful in the exercise of their functions. " Was also given a second order "20 Years of Service".

The Order has the shape of a Cross of Leopold with smooth edge of 34 mm and a long-armed cross with dotted lines. It is made of white metal alloy. It was made by "Scheid" in Vienna, and is marked by the manufacturer.

Obverse: in the arms of the cross mark appears the sovereign (Prince / King Ferdinand I), the Roman figure "X" marks the year of service, the outer circle is the constituency: "OTLICHNA Sluzhba" (Excellent Service) separated by a crown. Reverse: The Order is decorated with a crowned lion Bulgarian coat of Saxony.

The order was delivered until 1947.

A very nice piece there, Ruiz! :love: If I understand correctly, it was not given automatically after 10 years of service, but only to those with distinguished service? Do you maybe know how many of these were awarded? Or what percent of all servicemen got one after 10 years?

A very nice piece there, Ruiz! :love: If I understand correctly, it was not given automatically after 10 years of service, but only to those with distinguished service? Do you maybe know how many of these were awarded? Or what percent of all servicemen got one after 10 years?

Yes, it was given automatically after 10 years of service with distinguished service. I don´t know how many were awarded, sorry, but in this first variant, very few were delivered.

• 1 year later...
    • 4 years later...

Ruiz, that is a very Nice Medal!  In fact, I'm thinking about buying one to go with my latest addition to my Bulgarian collection--the XX Year Long Service Cross.   Unlike Ruiz's medal, my XX Year medal is a King Boris issue.  Note that the lion crest on the reverse side is lacking the shield with the Saxony Coat of Arms on it. 

The Neck

My Bulgarian 20 yrs Long Service R2.jpg

My Bulgarian 20 yrs Long Service F,C.jpg

The First Model of Prince Ferdinand for 20 years Service was with a reverse text "Sluzba Otlicna" The reverse medallion ha the date 2 August 1887 This is the date when Prince Ferdinand arrived in Bulgaria after being elected as a prince

The Second Ferdinand Model for 29 years Service is the same, however the text is  "Otlichna Sluzba" and the quality of the green enamel is not as fine as the one of the First Model

In King Boris Model for 20 years Service, as the one shown by Camelneck, the reverse is changed with one with a Lion without a shield Om the reverse the Prince/King Ferdinand initial is changed with the one of King Boris

Here is a nice example of First Model for 20 years of Service  by Rothe

003.JPG

003a.JPG

004.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

Edited by Graf

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:57, new world said:

Neck,

Nice officer cross!

Thank you, very much!  I just ordered the following 10yr Cross to go with it.  Here is photos of my 10yr cross, however, it comes with a tri-fold ribbon.

Bulgaria 10yr Military LS Medal (30GBP) F.jpg

Bulgaria 10yr Military LS Medal (30GBP) R.jpg