News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Finnish Collection 1918-1945

here is more Medal bars and ribbon bars connected to the war 1918 in finland

First a EK II - Finnish Liberty Cross IV - Bravery Medal I st class

The blue ribbon on the bravery medal is almost completely faded.

This is an early bar without 1934 EhrenKreuz. Neither has he got the 1918 com medal

Christer

Edited by christerd

• Replies 181
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last out for today is a fighter from WWII , maybe a Gebirgs jaeger ?

KVK - Ostmedal - Libert Cross IV ?

It is unusual to se the swordsfor the Liberty Crosses on German made ribbon bars. I dont know if they was difficult to obtain ?

Here a n rather unusual style of ribbon bar , it looks almost american .

First the medal for war 1941-45, then medal for Olympic games 1952 , Civil defence medal and last a Swedish Order of the Sword ?

Hello Christer!

Nice ribbon bar, but do you really think it's an Order of the Sword??? It looks like green stripes instead of blue, could it be a unit commemorative medal/cross?

/Jonas

Hello Christer!

Nice ribbon bar, but do you really think it's an Order of the Sword??? It looks like green stripes instead of blue, could it be a unit commemorative medal/cross?

/Jonas

Hmm, It really looks green .... maybe its the Cross for Fighting Group Oinonen I think that ribbon looks like that ?

Thanks Jonas

Christer

Hmm, It really looks green .... maybe its the Cross for Fighting Group Oinonen I think that ribbon looks like that ?

Thanks Jonas

Christer

That's the one I was thinking of!

/Jonas

Thank you Christed!

Great collection and information.

And here are some observations...

picture no 31

Civil defence medal 2nd class 1935-1940 for Winter War merits

made from copper

picture no 39

The document of mrs Marjatta Anna-Liisa Hyyryläinen

Medal of Liberty 1st class with red cross decoration

(5253 was awarded, CONGRATULAITONS, documens are rarer than medals)

and a rough guess, maybe she was working in the military hospital?

picture no 50

Oakleaf in the ribbon is upside down. Well sometimes the veterans wear their medals in the funny way...

Thanks again

J

Thank you Christed!

Great collection and information.

And here are some observations...

picture no 31

Civil defence medal 2nd class 1935-1940 for Winter War merits

made from copper

picture no 39

The document of mrs Marjatta Anna-Liisa Hyyryläinen

Medal of Liberty 1st class with red cross decoration

(5253 was awarded, CONGRATULAITONS, documens are rarer than medals)

and a rough guess, maybe she was working in the military hospital?

picture no 50

Oakleaf in the ribbon is upside down. Well sometimes the veterans wear their medals in the funny way...

Thanks again

J

:jumping:

Thansk Jkas !

I have had that 1 st class Medal document for several years and haven´t noticed the " Punaisen Ristin Kera "

The Finnish language is not the easiest one ....

You made my day , next I will se if I can turn the oakleaf to the right position :blush:

Welcome to the forum and Thanks again from the other side of the sea

Christer

Now the nest level of award if you where for ex a Leutnant in German Ostsee division 1918 , was probably the Liberty Cross 4th Class

These crosses was awarded in four classes 1st , 2nd , 3rd and 4th , There was some higher special classes like Great Cross with Swords and Diamonds 1 !! Awarded to Wilhelm II .... and some more extreme ones awarded in < 10 pieces each.

The first class was a neck order 49 x 49 mm with yellow ribbon 41 mm wide with two red stripes . The 1st class has enamelled cross and is of outstanding quality made in germany by the firm Otto Oertel who made all of the 1918 liberty crosses 1-4th class.

2nd class was a breast order 38 x 38 mm otherwise similar to 1st class, 3rd and 4th classes was without enamel on the cross, swords/cross on 3rd class in gold , while 4th class in silver.

Also there is cross for civilian and medics , and since the fighters cross are quite rare all others are even harder to get :whistle:

I have only the lower 4th class in my collection , here you have two typical ones , the first in normal Finnish style with the rosette ribbon and the other one

most possible given to a German since you often find these without the rosette ribbon , and instead with a piece of red/white ribbon.

One of the crosses for medics can be seen here:-

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/36716-cross-of-liberty-4th-class-with-red-cross/

Kevin in Deva.

Here is some more ribbon bars

First a two war fighter

Liberty Cross 3rd class - Liberty Cross 4th class- Winter war medal- 1941-45 war medal - 11th Div Cross

The 11th Division fought against the Germans in 1944 Lapland war which cost the small country of Finland

3940 casualties 1944-45

The next one is a little more difficult to read

First a Winter war medal wo Swords , probably meaning som behind front work

than a 1941-45 medal - Home Front Cross (military service) - Northern Viena Cross - EK II

Hmm Northern Viena Cross was awarded to thoose who was in 3rd Army corps

The 3rd Army Corps fought in the north of Finland 1941 and fought at that time together with Waffen SS Div Nord

Maybe some staff officer who fought together with SS div ??

an interesting combination

Christer

• 4 months later...

Next is A Order of the White Rose , Knight 1st class

I just love these orders , now I have to buy a Lion Order the give the Rose some company :cheeky:

It came with a lovely mini , I dont know what year it was made , just that it not the first type.

Does anyone have some info about White Rose Orders ? Cant read the marking in the ring ....

Christer

• 10 months later...

Hello Christer

Nice collection. I am collecting Red Cross and have some from Finland. I am wery interested in Your medall After the war in January 1945 come a new medal from Finland for outstanding service in charitable activities.

it is a quite simple one with a woman and a child on the front and the words Pro Benignitate Humana on the back- I have the same but in silver and gold does this mean there are three degrees?

• 6 months later...

New arrival to my collection :jumping:

After a long long time I finally found a Order of The Liberty Cross 2nd Class !

This is a 1918 version awarded with swords , maybe to a German soldier...

Only 115 was awarded of 2nd class in 1918 so its quite a challenge to find one these days .

From left to right - top row

2nd class 1918 , 3rd class 1939 Civil Merits , 3rd class 1941 , " Widow" Cross 1941, " Widow" Cross 1941

4th Class with Oak Leaves 1941 , 4th class 1941 , 4th class 1918 , 4th class 1939

Next one I´m looking for is the Red Cross versions ..... Rare :whistle:

Christer