News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

One of my Favorite Groups - Guards Lt. Colonel Mikhail Tolkachev

• Replies 67
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fast-forward 35 years later, and we have the documents for the Jubilee Patriotic Wars that belonged to both he and his wife. Interestingly, only one of the orders was with the group and it was his wife's. Did he lose his and wear her's after she passed away? We'll never know...

Guest Rick Research

:cheers:

But he was ROBBED on that 1st Red Star-- typical of the sort of UNDER-decoration at that stage of the war-- change the "194...3" to "194...5" and that was clearly a NEVSKY.

Same with his denied Kutuzov 3rd-- that being presumably downgraded since he was "only" the responsible staff officer and doesn't sound like he was in the front lines during that...

and yet allllllllllll those generals racked up the same award in higher grades miles back for THEIR "direction."

His 1945 ORB sounds like a "yeah yeah the war's about over, just go on and give him one" and so I suppose everything "averaged out" in the end... but not really. Inflated war's end awards... deflated mid-wa awards. Reading the citation recommendations the denied Kutozov's OPW1 was clearly "better" than this "higher" ORB. Sigh!

I think you are right and the 1945 parade photos are simply mis-dated from memory-- in one there is the Mongolian Victory Over Japan medal which surely was not being worn in 1945 BACK in Germany.

Interesting to note that HIS "green sheet" Sino-Soviet Friendship Medal document is ALSO dated on Red Army Day 1955... that makes EVERY one of those I have seen ALL on the same date. But were the medals actually handed over then, or delayed authorization of Korean War awards?

It would be nice to find a living recipient to ask!

• 7 months later...

That is one of the more comprehensive groups I have seen here. I very much enjoyed the photos.

I find it note worthy that his and his wife's OPW 1985 have sequential Serial Numbers... And so do the books! They have different, yet sequential numbers as well.

great set.

What is the foriegn medal(cross)?

PAul