News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Post 1945 German Quiz

After discussing this with Paul and seeing as how quizzes have opened in several sections of GMIC I felt I'd give it a try here as well in the hope that it would get some things moving here and add a bit of excitement to the section and Paul agrees.

The Soviet Quiz, started by Christophe ran for a few years since 2006 and was extremely active and a great success. It did however die down over time due to a number of reasons:

- Questions asked were at times too complicated as they required composite multi-answer replies;

- Questions at times covered areas that were way too obscure and therefore they limited the number of possible respondents severely and thus slowed down the tempo of the quiz;

- Members would post questions without bothering to follow up on their queries;

- Members would be too busy to set questions and not pass these on to other members when they could not reply.

The rules were as follows:

All Forum members are eligible to participate, but there needs to be a few ground (and "classical") rules so there is no confusion among Forum members.

1. Discuss only one trivia item at a time so as not to confuse what is being discussed with other Forum members.

2. Once a Forum member guesses the correct trivia question, that member can then post their trivia question. Or if they wish can pass it on to another Forum member. [PROPOSED ADDITION - IF THE QUESTION IS NOT SET WITHIN 48 HOURS OF REPLY THE NEXT QUESTION WILL INSTEAD BE ASKED BY A QUIZ HOST]

In line with this please consider that as a participant, you should consider coming up with a question or two (or more) to keep handy should you win which will help keep the momentum going.

3. To ensure we keep this thread friendly, there should be no heckling, bantering, quarreling or arguing with another person when he or she does not correctly answer the trivia question. Never forget we are amongst Gentlemen and Ladies.

4. The trivia question must have a connection to something in post 1945 (Post WW2) Germany (however not DDR as that is in it's own section) ie: from post 1945 up to the present day, as it is the purpose of this section. [PROPOSED ADDITION - THE QUESTION MUST HAVE A CLEAR ANSWER - A DATE, AN EVENT, A STORY - IT SHOULD NOT HAVE SEVERAL QUESTIONS BUT SHOULD ENCOURAGE ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND TO THE ANSWER. QUIZ HOSTS MAY REQUEST A MEMBER TO NARROW DOWN THE SCOPE OF THE QUESTION IF TOO MUCH INFORMATION IS REQUESTED. QUESTIONS SHOULD ALSO NOT BE TOO OBSCURE AND SHOULD BE READILY RESEARCHABLE (primarily on the web) WITHOUT TOO MUCH DIFFICULTY]

5. When the question is answered, the original poster should give [ADDITIONAL] background about the fact, the person, the item in question [WHEN CONFIRMING THE REPLY AS CORRECT].

6. [ADDITIONAL RULE: IF IT SO HAPPENS THAT THE PERSON ASKING THE QUESTION WILL BE AWAY FOR A NUMBER OF DAYS, HE IS TO INDICATE THIS AND TO PASS THE ANSWER TO ONE OF THE HOSTS OR ANOTHER MEMBER THUS ENSURING THAT UPON CORRECT REPLY, THE QUIZ MAY PROCEED]

Should anyone have further suggestions that will make the game more accessible and easier to play, please go ahead - This is the time and place for such suggestions.

Dan and Paul :cheers:

Edited by Hauptmann

Paul has had a long, tiring day at work so he requested I kick things off with the first question.

I'm a long distance scout and as such am a member of a highly specialized unit of the German Army. Our beret insignia is an eagle with a set of lightning bolts in its claws, dropping down in front of crossed lances.

What is the name (in German and in English) of my unit and what is it's motto?

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptmann

Long distance reconnaissance

Fernspäher (not to confuse with Fernseher which means TV-set)

motto: oculus exercitus "the eye of the Army"

The only active unit left since restructure of the Bundeswehr in 1997 is Fernspählehrkompanie 200

Edited by Naxos

You've nailed it for question #1! Congratulations! :beer:

Here's a link to more information on this unit, it's history, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernsp%C3%A4hlehrkompanie_200

You've the honor of asking the next question. :jumping: :jumping:

Before that, here's the score:

The score is presently as follows:

1 point - Naxos

It's in your court... fire away when ready. :beer:

Naxos,

I beleive the licence plate that I showed a picture of starts with a Y. I thought that would be enough.

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon, certainly it is!

Sorry for not making mysef clear - you are next

Cheers

As far as I remember, all reservits in uniform wear the Kordel - but I'm thinking back over twenty years - I admit, I could be wrong on that. Perhaps someone else can submit the correct answer. :cheers:

Edited by Naxos

Uwe,

A few months ago, on the BRD Forum of the WAF, we discussed this reservist cord. Actually, the one on the uniform this picture came from. Another forum member made a post to the thread, and quoted a BW reference, that indicated this cord was only worn by reservists "without an assignment". I could not find the thread again, nor the reference he quoted. It doesn't appear in ZdV 37/10 either. Do you remember this thread? Did you take part?

Regards,

Gordon

Gentlemen... we need to find a solution to this as the quiz has bogged down. I'd like to propose that you start a separate thread in this section to discuss the cord, that pending Gordon's okay that we award the point to Naxo's and that he come up with a new question? If Naxo's wishes to pass on the question I propose letting Gordon have another go at it.

That way, we can get things moving again but at the same time learn more about the cords without holding things up here on the quiz?

Let me know if this is acceptable to both of you and if so I'll post the stats update and we'll await the next question from Naxos.

Many thanks! :beer:

Gentlemen,

Looks as though I may have killed this quizz with my last question. Sorry about that. Dan has given me or Naxos the option to restart the quizz I will do so now. A simpler question this time with only one answer.

What does the badge in the picture below indicate when worn on the wearers right side of their tunic? The flash makes the badge appear to be silver but it is actually gold and only exists in this colour.

Regards,

Gordon

Gentlemen,

It would appear that no one wants to attempt to answer the quiz question so I will end it with the answer. The badge is called the Komandantenabzeichen. It is worn on the right breast, in the location shown in the picture above, by the commanding officers of warships. It is worn on the left breast by officers who have commanded warships in the past. It is also available as a bullion badge.

Regards,

Gordon