News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My 2nd only S. African group and first from the Great War.

I was attracted to this group as it’s named to a Boer and mounted in the wrong order although I’m unsure when the group was mounted. It doesn’t appear to have been worn much.

It would have been more interesting for me to have a trio to a man who served in GSWA and also at Delville Wood but he didn’t so I’ll have to learn about the campaign in Africa especially the rebellion.

Some paperwork came with the group, showing next of kin, address, illnesses of which he had many and also showing his medals weren’t issued until 1928.

Is there any other paperwork, records etc. that can be easily accessed and was it normal for South Africans to have their medals issued 10 years after the war ended?

One more question, were Botha’s Mounted Rifles a well known fighting force before being disbanded?

Tony

Thanks very much Mervyn.

At least I now know he was 10th Mounted Rifles. He spent 8 months in total in Botha's MR so must have enlisted just before the outbreak of war as they were disbanded in Feb. 1915.

In 1917 he enlisted in the SASC (ZADK on medal rims) and spent the rest of the war in hospital and German East Africa until his discharge in Durban in July 1918 being permanently unfit for tropical service and temporarily unfit for non tropical service.

Tony

Tony, Mervyn,

I think there's confusion between two units with fairly similar names.

The 10th Mounted Rifles (1913-29) were the Botha Ruiters, an ACF unit based in Standerton in the Transvaal.

Botha's Hogeveld Ruiters were a temporary WWI unit, established on 26 March 1915 and disbanded on 31 March 1917.

Possibly some members came from the 10th MR (and perhaps the 9th MR (Hogeveld Ruiters) too).

BHR evidently served in GSWA, as in 1926/27 they were ex post facto granted the battle honour 'South West Africa 1915'.

Hello Arthur,

Thanks for that although I'm a little confused as to when BHR were established and disbanded. The paperwork I have has a regiment disbanded stamp next to the date 25.5.15.

The address for his next of kin happens to be Platrand, Standerton so maybe he was originally in the 10th.

Tony

• 3 months later...

You should be able to find a nominal roll for the unit in the "Naamlyste" section at the Military Archives in Pretoria. These were compiled for the 1914-5 star and usually give dates served, rank attained etc.

I couldn't help but notice the name of Lt Col Swemmer on the record card. Colonel Ivan Swemmer, DSO, commanded 1st Mounted Commando Brigade in 1940 (a relative of mine was one of his Staff Captains).