News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sainya Seva medal

gibbo

Hello everyone, i have a Sainya Seva medal (clasp; Marusthal) named to 1060210 L D D Prasad AC: as a `newbie` to the Indian medal scene would i be correct in thinking LD is a rank?, and if so what regt/corps is AC? (Air Corps???) Is it possible to identify roughly when this man served by his service number? Thanks for taking the time to read this...

Hello gibbo,

The rank "LD" is Lance Daffadar, a Daffadar is the same as a Corporal.

I believe the "AC" is Armored Corps.

The Marusthal (Desert) clasp was instituted 20 July 1984.

A check of the internet will tell you the dates for the actions in that area.

Regards

Brian

Many thanks Brian, the rank is not one i`ve heard of before. I`d like to know more about the Indian Army post 47, can anyone recommend decent books on the subject?

Medals and Decorations of Independent INDIA by Rana T.S. Chinna and Edward S. Haynes is the best source of information on post 47 medals check it.

Edited by lone wolf

• 2 years later...
    I have just started collecting Indian post 1947 medals and are having trouble identifying the clasp of this Sainya Seva medal can anyone shred some light on what it is
    regards and thanks
    Caz

Hello Caz,

You have the Marusthal clasp which means "Desert". It was instituted in 1984 for service of one year in a desert area or for aircrew for 10 sorties or forty hours of flying time over specified areas in western Rajasthan and western Haryana desert. [information from "Medals and Decorations of Independent India" by Edward S. Haynes and Rana T.S. Chhina].

Welcome to the interesting topic of Independent India's Medals and Decorations, it's good to see others with similar interests beginning their journey.

Regards

Brian

hello Brian

thank you for your assistance

and yes it seems an interesting field as my interest in the past has been Soviet and WW1

Will post some photos of what I have some time soon

regards

Caz

• 4 weeks later...

Caz

Just saw your post. like Brian, I have an interest in both pre and post 1947 India [and Pakistan]. I also have a book on Indian armour post Partition, so if your medal is named to the Armoured Corps, like the one which started this thread in 2011, I may be able to get you some info. on what his unit was doing in that campaign.

Peter