News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New Great Britain ribbon bars

Hi Gents,

Here is some of my new ribbon bar finds...

Old ribbon bar with the seven ribbons

- China War 1900

- Africa General Service Medal, 1902-1956

- 1914-15 Star

- British War Medal

- Victory Medal

- India General Service Medal, 1908-1935

- General Service Medal, 1918-1962

This man surely have been around and saw some hard times. It is pity that these great big sets are not researchable.

This bar is made on the heavy metal frame and I haven't seen so heavy set before. It's weight (31.1 g) almost same as British War Medal! Looks like this one is made by top maker who was available at this time.

191517732698a8_l.jpg

• 1 month later...

Good Morning Timo.....

This is a very odd ribbon bar..... You have 3 different services......

The Rocket Apparatus is a Long service medal so would be worn after the Army LSGC.....

I am sorry to say that I honestly do not think that it is the Rocket Apparatus...... The ribbon is not the right size or colour...... See MYB 227......

The DSC and Regular Army LSGC are the correct ribbons but I just cannot see a person in either the Navy or the Army winning both of these medals especially when there are no campaign medals to go with them......

Also the DSC is for Officers and Regular Army Officers did not receive a LSGC.....

I have an idea but again I am not to sure but could they be ribbons for Temperance Medals?????

Mike

Timo - what dates do you have for the Rocket Apparatus Medal ? There was a Rocket Battery in action at Isandlawana in 1879. I must be honest and say that I have never heard of this medal.

Good Morning Mervyn.....

The official title is "THE BOARD OF TRADE, ROCKET APPARATUS VOLUNTEER LONG SERVICE MEDAL".....

Instituted in 1911by the Board of Trade, now called as of 1968 The Coast Guard Auxillary Service Medal......

Mike

Hi guys,

Thanks all for your replays. Yes QSAMIKE, you are correct - ID above is incorrect. I just received it and I haven't had time to "play" with that.

So, what it is then?

One is sure - regarding the text on the reverse, it is British bar and because pin system, its right way. I presume we can all agree that the last one is LS&GC medal but in this case second ribbon can't be Navy DSC????

Lets say iIf it was weared other way around, what it can be then.... VC, DSC, ???? :).

Oh, IF THIS BAR CAN TALK....

Hi Timo......

I think that you may be right........

Victoria Cross

Navy Distinguished Service Cross

Foreign Medal - Unknown

This would have been before the WW1 medals were issued........

Mike

Oh guys, I don't even remember when I last time got something really good!

Regarding this bar now, I think there can be few different options. First at all, I am looking one of my very latest purcashe, a book "BRITISH & FOREIGN RIBBONS" by Captain H.Taprell Dorling D.S.O., R.N. printed 1944 in Liverpool.... I didn't knew that before that the first Order of the British Empire crosses was issued with the same ribbon as LS&GC and obsoleted shortly after. By the way, this book is well recomended reference material to have, I have find from there many many British ribbon examples what I wasn't familiar before; Royal National Lifeboat Institution Medal, National Fire Brigade's Association Conspicuous Gallantry Medal, London Salvage Corps Long Service Medal, Liverpool Shipwreck and Humane Society Marine/Fire/General Medal, many Lloyds medals and many more!

I am sure idea that the pin indicates right direction can't be eleminate. In this case I am thinking maybe some info would be find after I can find out more about the tailor in the address "R.N. SWINERD.412 KENNINGSTON RE 5 S.E.11" ?

If the white ribbon with the two red strips is foreign, it can be:

Japan, Order of the Risin Sun

Denmark, Order of Dannenborg

Montenegro, Order of Danilo

(and maybe few more)

I have had visitors from last week but I hope to find some time now to research it more. Oh, wedding anniversary tomorrow, I can't do it before the weekend.... :anmatcat:

Mike - very interesting on the rocket apparatus medal - although it would now seem to be something different. I am assuming that the rockets were used to rescue men from shore shipwrecks - they would have been part of the Coastguard.

I wonder if it will be possible to trace this bar - should be a possibility ?

I've been watching this develop and i'm thinking the last bar posted is

medal of the order of the british empire, DSC, Japanese order of the rising sun

I'll see if i can find a match

Cheers

Chris

Edited by censlenov

I thought about that and based on what i saw over lunch it could be a civil award of the obe mbe as some were given to RN personnel. I just can't find any VC recipients of an order of the rising sun.

Chris

I don't think it can be Army colour VC next to Navy DSC. Does it should be blue in this case?

Was there one another British order on the same colour ribbon.... I just can't find the picture where I have seen it.

These kind a interesting bars drive me nuts and same time I LOVE them! :love: