News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mayer tombak Hilfskreuzer award

This is one i have been after for a very long time,the Pfortzheim made tombak HK beleived to be made by BH Mayer.

Next to the Meybauer tombak HK it is probably the rarest of the four known tombak HK awards that were produced in Germany during the war.

I have to extend a big thank you to Erik for parting with this "gem" and sending it on to me.

Thanks mate,you know it has gone to a good home.

Regards,Martin.

Here are the four tombak HK awards we know of that were produced by German firms during the war.Three from Berlin and one from Pfortzheim.

Juncker,Mayer,Meybauer and Schwerin.

The Mayer is the only German made tombak award that is of single piece construction.The other three have the seperately attached,rivetted globes.

Cheers,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

Thanks Erik,

i know you have a very fine collection of U-Boat items and traditions cap badges..I guess we both have become somewhat specialized in our collecting preferences over the years.

Here is the rest of the HK "fleet" to date.

Someday,i hope to add one of the Japanese made HK awards to the collection.That would be the "icing on the cake" for me,i think.

Thanks again,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

Thanks guys.

Besides the Japanese awards there are still a couple of S&L variants i would like and any badge that is named or comes from a known HK crewman with provenance.

Hubert,

to date the only badge i have seen that could be attributed to Mayer is the variant i have posted above.These are rare and i know of only three in collections.

I have never seen a tombak variant HK from Pfortzheim with the block hinge that is on your Mayer MS badge.Hopefully,one day,who knows?

Here is my HK along with Erik's L/18 marked Minesweeper and the definate link in the reverse hardware to it's production in Pfortzheim.

Regards,Martin.

Hi Hubert,

as i mentioned above i had not seen the block hinge on the tombak Mayer award.

However,they did use the block hinge on their later zinc production as seen here on the L/18 marked zinc award next to the unmarked tombak award.

When viewing the two awards together i think we can see that both awards came from the same set of dies,or at least sister dies.

BTW,these Mayer zinc awards are equally as rare as their tombak predecessors,i know of only two in collections.

Regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

• 2 weeks later...
    • 5 months later...