News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

7 place medal bar Uffz. Friedrich Albert Schlechte, 2. Garde Regiment zu Fuss

I remember that group. I think I bid but it went for more. It is a shame the group was broken up..

In the beginning of this thread there are 2 pic of men. The first one shows a man standing in a formal pose and he wearing the EK2. The second pic is a less formal pose and the man is wearing the Ek2 ribbon. I would say that the first pic is your guy necause it is a formal pose most likely taken after he was awarded the EK2. Also he is not wearing any other awards. Check the soldbich for award dates and see if he received the EK first.

Edited by Paul C

Thank you all! The usual guys are always present, friendly and gentlementlike... :cheers:

Sometimes I expect that also the new ones or the ones that are only looking but could share a lot, post not only when they have a question pertinent to their own pieces or for research purposes, but also take part actively in this forum.

@ Paul: I rather think the owner of this group is the one depicted in post # 8, for three reasons: this soldier appears in a couple of pictures (the other not), on the back of the first guy's picture (post # 7) there is a dedication to somebody and most importantly the one on post # 7 is a Feldwebel (Schlechte was only Unteroffizier). The iron cross 2nd class was bestowed on Uffz. Schlechte quite soon after the outbreak of WWI, 26th of October 1914 (see post # 20).

Edited by Claudio

Same also about one thread I posted with lots of pictures of a museum I visited in Germany (U-Boot Denkmal, Laboe).

ciao,

Claudio

hmmmmm...mmmmm. What am I? Chopped liver? :) I responded. Actually I do know what you mean about views but no posts on threads I started. This could be the subject for a thread in the Lounge forum.

In this instance (this thread) I held back until you posted and commented everything. I was watching it AS you were posting photos and if I would have responded my comments would have fallen INSIDE your posts.

So I waited. Until this morning. I logged in my computer. Got my coffee. Two milks, no sugar. And eased into my chair.

...I did have some questions of a sequential nature.

Edited by Claudius

Again, Congratulations Claudio on your praiseworthy efforts to reconstitute this group. It is loathsome to imagine that when this group was purchased back in 2007 was destined to be divided up and sold like the spoils of a treasure chest.

The original recipient obviously was important enough in post-1934 Germany that he needed his medal bar in Frack form for this civilian clothes and a multitude of knopflochshleifen to keep in his many suit coats and dress jackets. The identity of the recipient would be as interesting as WHAT he was doing in the mid-1930's that warranted this number of bars, minis and knopflochshleifen. (I believe when this group was discussed months ago I commented on the number of redundant awards forms.)

My question regarding this group has to do with what was originally part of this group, and what was added later. It might be my mistake but when Andreas had this group for sale in 12.07 it consisted of only the awards and box to hold them. There were no photos, Soldbuch or Urkunden.

Now, years later when one of the bars was found for sale, the seller ADDED the photos and documents? What other connection is there between the documents/photos and the medal bar?

@ Claudius: I thought the same about the documents, that might have added, but why should have the seller on Ebay tried his luck to sell badly the documents and pictures, when he could have maximized his profit by selling them one by one? Furthermore many times on auctions I adquired stuff that came with a group which weren't even mentioned in the description. But you have a point; there's no evidence prooving that the documents and pictures are for this group... there are a couple of other documents, but no docs for the Lipp'sche decorations.

About him covering an important job; that could also be, but not necessarly; maybe he was excessively proud of his awards. If the doc of the Hindenburg cross belongs to this group, then he was a mere mail man or messenger in a company (expedient in German means :

Expedient

Berufsbezeichnung

Bedeutung:

• Angestellter, der die Post abfertigt

Gerholz, Heinrich: Gerholz-Kartei, Eine Sammlung alter Berufsbezeichnungen, Verein für Familienforschung e.V. Lübeck, Lübeck, 2005.
    • Ex|pe|di|ent der; -en, -en <lat.>:

a) Abfertigungsbeauftragter in der Versandabteilung einer Firma;
      b) Angestellter in einem Reisebüro, Reisebürokaufmann.
      Quelle: Duden 5, Das Fremdwörterbuch. 7. Aufl. Mannheim 2001. [CD-ROM]

Attachment/picture: document of the Hungarian WWI commemorative medal for combattants

Edited by Claudio

@ Claudius: I thought the same about the documents, that might have added, but why should have the seller on Ebay tried his luck to sell badly the documents and pictures, when he could have maximized his profit by selling them one by one?

"I can understand maximizing profits by selling them one by one. Especially an ebay seller, however he may have wanted to improve the chances of selling the medal bar by using photos to attract bidders. The motive of the seller would be beneficial. If he just purchased it recently and wanted to sell it along with other WWI photos/documents, or did he buy it from the winner of the 12.2007 Auction and after nearly four years wanted to sell again."

Furthermore many times on auctions I adquired stuff that came with a group which weren't even mentioned in the description. But you have a point; there's no evidence prooving that the documents and pictures are for this group... there are a couple of other documents, but no docs for the Lipp'sche decorations.

"That would be question for Mr. Thies. He keeps very good records of items he had. He should be able to say if there were photos and documents with this group."

About him covering an important job; that could also be, but not necessarly; maybe he was excessively proud of his awards. If the doc of the Hindenburg cross belongs to this group, then he was a mere mail man or messenger in a company (expedient in German means :

Expedient

"Yes, he was proud of his awards. I feel many recipients were very proud of their medals (as they should be) as evidenced by the care they took in displaying them on tight bars or using privately made medals. In this case, this is the ONLY group I know of where the recipient has not fewer than 19 different forms of his awards for wear. (2 ribbon bars, 2 mini chains, 2 medal bars, 13 Knopflochschleifen) I recognize that one of the ribbons bars is missing a decoration and he needed a Frack bar for civilian wear, but maybe his still needed his standard bar for his uniform when attending a military occasion?

A man with 13 Knopflocschleifen didn't want the chance he would forget to put it in his button hole in the morning...he wanted all his jackets to have them at the ready."

Berufsbezeichnung

Bedeutung:

• Angestellter, der die Post abfertigt

Gerholz, Heinrich: Gerholz-Kartei, Eine Sammlung alter Berufsbezeichnungen, Verein für Familienforschung e.V. Lübeck, Lübeck, 2005.
    • Ex|pe|di|ent der; -en, -en <lat.>:

a) Abfertigungsbeauftragter in der Versandabteilung einer Firma;
      b) Angestellter in einem Reisebüro, Reisebürokaufmann.
      Quelle: Duden 5, Das Fremdwörterbuch. 7. Aufl. Mannheim 2001. [CD-ROM]

Attachment/picture: document of the Hungarian WWI commemorative medal for combattants

Sorry, I have some doubts the awards and paper belong together. I have not noticed any Lippe connection - wasn't he a Lippe native nor in IR 55? Then it's odd, I think, to get the Lippe awards.

Still nice you are re-uniting the group. I saw some of the smaller stuff on eBay within the years and will probably tell you if anything re-surfaces now. :whistle:

Danke Sascha für Deinen Beitrag... but I have also found some interesting info on the web.

Wikipedia DE http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infanterie-Regiment_%E2%80%9EGraf_B%C3%BClow_von_Dennewitz%E2%80%9C_(6._Westf%C3%A4lisches)_Nr._55

GenWiki (IR 55) http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/IR_55

Reserve- und Ersatz-Truppenteile zum 1. Weltkrieg

• 1. und 2. Ersatz-Bataillon Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 55, aufgestellt in Detmold (zwei Komp. des 2. Ersatz Btl. IR55 traten zum Brig.-Ers.-Btl. Nr. 26 bei der 10. Ers.-Div.).
    • Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 55 (+MG.-Kompanie), aufgestellt in Soest (Stab, I. Btl.) und Paderborn (II. Btl). Unterstellung: 2. Garde-Res.-Div.. (Das Ersatz-Bataillon RIR55 wurde in Lippstadt aufgestellt).

Could that be that the IR 55 fought along the 2. Garde Regiment zu Fuss and some of its soldiers got lipp'sche orders and medals?

I exchanged some info to the Ebay seller and told me that he got the whole group on Ebay as well and that he didn't add nor took away from it...

Ciao,

Claudio

• 9 months later...

Wow Matt! That's the same bar (see folding on the ribbons)!!!! :o :o :o I haven't seen this picture before... where did you find it? Egay... ehm... I mean Ebay? :whistle:

Hi Claudio,

I was doing a little searching and found it. I believe it was on eBay last week or the week before.

Best wishes

Matt

Wow , what the chance that this photo surfaces after one year :love: Hope now that you can find it on Ebay and see if was sold or even better comes again on a new sale . But what kind of uniform is he wearing ?

Christer

Wow , what the chance that this photo surfaces after one year :love: Hope now that you can find it on Ebay and see if was sold or even better comes again on a new sale . But what kind of uniform is he wearing ?

Christer

Hi Christer,

I think it's a NSKK uniform, Truppführer (1st sergeant)... ;-)

http://www.uniformin...d=53&result=587

http://onesixthnet.yuku.com/topic/2682#.T9DhZGgbZUQ

ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio

Hi Claudio,

What a superb and interesting thread! I think it's great that you've taken the plunge and started to re-unite this grouping. I don't know what it is with people when named and researched pieces get broken up like this. It seems like there are some who will break them up for various reasons (dealers and collectors), while others are always trying to build them back up. It's a vicious cycle, but I suppose it keeps everybody "in business."

:unsure:

I had a friend in Europe recently tell me that a year or two ago he sold a named grouping of three pieces to a guy in the States. Just recently, one of the ribbon bars was offered to him in a trade deal back in Europe! We don't all have the same attitude when it comes to groupings, unfortunately. But I applaud your efforts in trying to return this grouping to its former glory.

Apologies on the lack of posting responses...we've chatted about this before. I just prefer e-mail - more fun and personal for me.

All the best,

J-

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your kind words. Collectors' attitude and ethics can vary very much... I try to reunite pieces of history together, but sometimes financially it does really not make a lot of sense, in most cases unfortunately!

Look at this group being sold piece by piece on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.de/s...sid=p4340.l2562

I wanted to bid on it, but as you can see it doesn't very much make a lot of sense, at least for the buyer! On the contrary for the seller, he can speculate on it!

Very sad!

ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio

• 1 month later...

Do you still have the Ebay article number?

I know, I'm late... but I am.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/330731515858

If you check the seller's feedback with the auction number, you'll find the buyer. Maybe he wants to part with it? Sometimes it works, I was lucky recently with this...