News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Early Deumer Observer Badge

Hi Guys,

I just received this badge in a grouping to an Observer from Fliegerhorstkompanie Westerland, one Hauptmann Hermann Grell - a nice early 1st Pattern from Deumer! The award document is dated for June of '39. I just wanted to show it off - I love the early Deumers!

ERIC

[attachmentid=23795]

• 1 month later...

Hi John,

Another wonderful pic! Great comparison photo as well! It does indeed look to be a Deumer 1st rather than an Assmann 1st. Not just on the close comparison shot, but the actual full size pic itself, when looking at the whole wreath shape, has me believing this too. Can't be 100%, but the characteristics noticeable would have me guessing this was a Deumer as well. You do have the eye for detail John!

ERIC :cool:

• 1 year later...

Yes, I agree but ...

Who has made it?

regards

CHE

The "Assmann" mark is nothing like an original, and has been post-war applied. This is not the first time I've seen this done to these unmarked "Deumer" badges.

A side-by-side comparison of Assmann (left)/Deumer (right) 1st pattern eagles.

This was from the Littlejohn collection.

Chris.. Although close in design, the "Littlejohn" Example is the "Juncker" Observer Badge.

Guest WAR LORD

Thank you, yes I thought as much. The makers mark is very indistinct. But clearly has the Berlin address. The pin hing and hook are typical Junker.

...has been post-war applied.

I don`t know... maybe

This is not the first time I've seen this done to these unmarked "Deumer" badges.

Can you show these badges?

regards

CHE

Edited by CHE

I don`t know... maybe

Can you show these badges?

regards

CHE

CHE,

That is not an Assmann mark seen on any original, wartime badges, in my experience. I would agree with JTW that it is likely post-war applied to improve the value of a wonderful, unmarked Deumer.

John, I know the early Assmann`s ?A? mark.

You have told: "This is not the first time I've seen this done to these unmarked "Deumer" badges."

My question was: "Can you show these badges?"

regards

CHE

Excuse me for my English

... I can not post any examples of the early Deumer series with any of the bogus marks I've seen. The only pieces I have on file are those I own... ALL unmarked.

It is a pity. I did not see an early Observer Badge with a bogus mark.

I shall search such badge, it very rare.

I have to ask: do you think your Observer badge is made by Assmann?

Sure, this badge have made Deumer.

I am not assured that it is likely post-war applied to improve the value.

I have bought it as ordinary observer badge, ordinary price.

This item was very dirty, I cleaned it.

This mark remains a riddle for me.

regards

CHE

post-1608-1203105996_thumb.jpeg

Edited by CHE

I have to agree with John and Steve here CHE - definately not an early badge mm by Assmann. The badge itself is an awesome original Deumer 1st Pattern though! I (sorry to say) can't help you out with showing a false marking on an original Deumer, but I have also seen them in collecting circles. The Deumer Observer posted here by JTW is one of those post factory marked examples I have seen before. The earliest form of marking from the Assmann firm that I know about as well is the type shown by John earlier in a side by side comparison to your marking. Here is another example of that style marking.

ERIC