News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The first of these is an Irish 'bog oak' truncheon. We have had discussions and photos of these in the past - particularly with regard to their use. I am almost certain that it was an attempt to introduce local policing - perhaps along the lines of the old British Parish Constables. The Royal Irish Constabularly were a para-military Force - and many of the public saw them as an 'enemy'. I have never found the Acts which would have allowed the setting-up of localised Constables - something for someone to research.

From the many that I have in my collection - or, have seen elsewhere, this is the first to have a town name. Actually, the City of Belfast and it is dated 1901. This makes them a little later for use then I thought. Nicely carved with clovers - and since Bog Oak is fallen oaks that have been for years in the swamps (or, Bogs) - it is not only darkened, but very hard to cut - and these decorations are all by hand !

This is the second truncheon - it was brought in this morning from Rhodesia - but, it is of course of British origin.

Many early settlers took old truncheons with them as protective items - unfortunately, they were no match for spears !

The markings show that it is a Victorian Special Constable's truncheon - and it has S 2 on the body. The Crown is Queen Victoria's and the initials VR, standing for Victoria Regina. I would date this to about 1850.

Mervyn, do you have any information on SAP issued knob kerrie's. For African constables during the 20's to 60's. I suppose the African version of a truncheon and mass produced like the Army and police assagai's. I would be interested if you have any knowledge of these. Regards David

Hi - David. Yes - there were two types . The large fighting Iwisas - Knobkerries to us, were of a standard pattern. I suspect that Durban Municipality ordered them from one source - but, unless one goes through the records I don't suppose we will know for sure.

There is a second pattern - much smaller - more the size of a truncheon, however , it has a knob end. Both were carried stuck in the belt.

The African Police did not patrol on their own - but two usually accompanied a European officer. They had spears - made by Vickers in the UK - for serious rioting - otherwise it was just the Iwisa. This is a terrible weapon and always remember - young Zulus are trained in the art of stick fighting from about 4 years of age . They were not allowed to arrest or deal with Europeans - although could be called onto assist the white officer. They also carried handcuffs.

I've just noticed that you are asking for the SAP and not just Durban. I think the same basic rules applied. I remember watching a 100 Company of African SAP charge a crowd in the 1950's - they were carrying the spears. What a wonderful weapon for close combat - they should have had them in London last week ?

I will get a photo of the small Iwisa and make a post.

Hi - Ian. Yes, a first for me too ! Obviously the carving was done by the person it was issued to - but it clears up a lot of queries on dates etc.. I would still like to find out exactly what duties they performed ? I used to have in the collection a small version - I think it was 7 inches long ( 17.5 cm) - this was intended to be used as a Tipstaff to show the bearer's authority - so, they were more then watchmen.

Your small knobkerrie certainly looks to have had a police use - the one I have is probably Durban Municipality and is older. I will post a picture.

(Ann, I don't want any comments about the last sentence......................)

David - sorry , I got mixed up with the posts - not too difficult, I've had years of practise !

I would say Yes - it is probably for African Police. However, there are two other possibilities - 1. For a guard. 2. A Zulu Dancing stick - the tapered end makes me think this could be a possibility. I will get someone to photograph my example and then you can compare. Mervyn