News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KHALKIN GOL 1939

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

In making separate threads on each individual award, we seem to have left out THE Mongolian award-- the badge for the battles around Khalkin Gol against the Japanese in August 1939.

Here is the 1940 first type, mirror reverse, with the original screw disk:

[attachmentid=23892][attachmentid=23893]

• Replies 137
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Rick Research

My 1940 mirror reverse compared with a 1945 smooth reverse:

[attachmentid=23894]

Notice the very sharp upper "sky notch" in the flag behind the rider's back above the horse's back in the earlier as opposed to the later badge-- a good way to tell them apart before flipping one over.

[attachmentid=23895]

I've never seen an Award Book, and last recall a catalog sale of one 10 years ago. :(

Rick,

if you post that badge once more, i won?t be able to withstand to buy one. Why are you doing this to me? :(

;)

Beautiful badge. :love: I like the flatback more, although the mirror reverse has some features, which i also like (the red enameled visor of the Cavallerists, for example)

Gerd

Guest Rick Research

ANOTHER convert to the not so secret Mongolian Cult!!! :ninja:

I love that weird screw disk with the copper wire "donut ears" for turning!

Interesting that there are TWO versions (at least... so far?) of the maker's screw disk-- mine has their street address as well! (No. 11 Kuznetsky Most)

Peculiarly enough, I have a Prussian (with a P) general's photograph taken at that same address by a photographer in the 1870s:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=3...indpost&p=36355

Here's some "production run" info, Alexei Merzheko provided on the Soviet-Awards forum:

"the first several pieces were made at the Leningrad mint. Till 1944 LM produced a limited number of badges, and a large order was placed with the Moscow Artistic Cooperative. In 1944 LM was evacuated to Krasnokamsk, where production has continued. In 1944 they planned to make 3000 pieces, but made only 6; there is no data for 1945, and only limited data for 1946 - in March-September 5504 pieces were made.

According to Borisov some pieces were made in solid silver."

Jan

Edited by vatjan

I saw that post by Alexei and it left me puzzled. My impression was that the generally accepted rule of thumb here was all the "mirror backs" were made by The Moscow Artists Collaberative and were the earlier pieces. I have not seen any of these marked for the Leningrad Mint at all?? Does anyone have an example, or a photograph of one marked for Leningrad? Or even one in silver?

I gather there has been an extensive discussion of these on another forum, with a good bit of the "he said, he said" smoky contention that some fora seem to enjoy so much. A problem here may be that some seem to view this as a Soviet award, rather than a Mongolian award (not to get into the touchy issue of how autonymous Mongolia was in these years). Until we know ("know" from research, not just "guess") much more on the manufacturing sourcing of these and the relative balancing of Mongolian vs. Soviet production runs and the demarcation, if any, between the "badge" and the "medal", we may just have to assemble isolated datapoints of specimens with manufacturers shown on the screw-nut. I hope/suspect someone is recording these?

Just to chime in, here are mine. The type one has some replaced enamel (which i sort of like, says it was worn and loved and adds character) and the screw-nut is missing one of its ears (ditto).

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Rick Research

I'm not up on things that go on beyond locked doors in places which require potential visitors to register to log in... with no clue what is Behind That Door... before finding out... what's Behind That Door.

But the "Moscow Enamel Buddies" :rolleyes: mirror reverse type I take from a number of points (nut "ears" etc etc) to indeed have been the original First Contract type--

the primary reason for which is that they are SO MARKED.

Again, excusing my potential ignorance of "common knowledge" behind locked doors, but my personal handling of pieces Spidey-sense tells me that when we have such datable items as Honored Employee of Mongolian State Security badges with pre-WW2 national crest dating the marked work of the Co-op

and then a Sudden And Pemanent Void

(into which, by a to me non-amazing "coincidence" steps the "Victory" factory of enamelled badges in Moscow)

then the MTX badges are pre-WW2, not late or post-WW2.

Ergo, the 1940 contract. :ninja:

BTW, is mine the ONLY one out there not only marked to the Co-op, but with their street address?