News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KHALKIN GOL 1939

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Wow, Glenn! Comparing the Cyrillic text of your 1960 dated document with the Mongolian in Cyrillic document to a Soviet at the bottom of page 2 of this thread,

that sure DOES appear to be FOR the Khalkin Gol badge ITSELF, not some jubilee...

issued in 1960!!!!!! :speechless1:

a late award indeed... and if 20 years after the original issue, for how much longer? Wow. :beer:

• 3 weeks later...
    • Replies 137
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The late award seems to be something we see repeatedly with Mongolian Aawards.... the group I just received has jubilee medals, some of which were actually awarded quite a bit past the actual date of the medal. It would be fascinating to try and figure out exactly what the criteria was on some of these late awards!

• 2 months later...

Anybody notice the posting on eBay with different booklet?

My guess is that we have the small black booklets for early awardings and then larger paper (1959 onwards as per my recently acquired books) for once it became an offical medal?

• 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...

Here is mine. My only Mongolian item so far (I bought it for the Japanese connection) but I can see myself approaching a slippery slope given how well made and attractive these are ..........

Yes, thread very carefully from here on, before you know it you'll be over your ears into Polar Star, Red Banners and Sukhbaatars.

Do you know if the Japanese also have a commemorative badge for this battle? I might want to buy it for the Mongolian connection :beer:

Jan

Japan does not but Manchukuo, which was a Japanese vassal state, does. It is called the Border Incident War Medal and was established in 1939 for service in the various clashes on the Amur River in 1937, Changkufeng Hill in July 1938 and Nomohan in 1939. Let me see if I can dig out a photo of it for you.

Edited by Paul L Murphy

Japan does not but Manchukuo, which was a Japanese vassal state, does. It is called the Border Incident War Medal and was established in 1939 for service in the various clashes on the Amur River in 1937, Changkufeng Hill in July 1938 and Nomohan in 1939. Let me see if I can dig out a photo of it for you.

I guess that's the same as the Nomonhan incident medal??

I know I have better pictures, but these are the only ones I could find!

ps. Almost forgot there are two variations of this medal. The rarer of the two has a larger raven (I think it's a raven) on the front..

I'm not sure which variation this one is but they really do look about the same.

Edited by fjcp

• 3 months later...

Based on that badge shown over there, we may now have to show:

Type 1 (mirror reverse, numbered on screwnut, maker on screwnut ?MOAX?) Low = ???/High = 117776

Type 2.1 (mirror reverse)

Type 2.2 (mirror reverse, extra high quality)

Type 3.1 (flat reverse)

Type 3.2 (flat reverse, silver)

I would be very careful in assuming this screwplate to be original.

We know how these screwplates were swapped around in Mongolia, and I would not consider this to be original until, at least, one other was found to corroborate this finding.

I would love to see numbered screwplates, that would open great, real combat ( :rolleyes: ) research potential, but I do not (yet) believe they exist.

I asked Dr B once, he denies there were ever numbered badges.

It looks like a screwplate for a soviet "osoaviakim-always ready-defence society" badge sort of thing, they were numbered

This is the pic why I asked Dr B.

Guest Rick Research

Well, how about my Very Own Special Sub Variety for a Moscow Artists Collaborative screwdisk with their street address on it? :rolleyes:

Number 11, Kuznetsky Most.

I own the contentious piece and thought best comment!

The badge is as I bought it, but that doesn't mean that the screwplate hasn't at some point been replaced or swapped. I notice that the award books are numbered so that doesn't rule out the possibility that some awards were. However if this is number 117,000 then surely someone would have found another numbered one?

I always presumed they were all numbered because mine was!

I think in cases like this it's best to err on the side of caution.

Could the individual have done it to match the number on the certificate?

Edited by Belaruski