News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I promise I will get better photos of these. But how often do you get to hold two named Pour Le Merite's in your hand? Both of these reside in the Dr Parks museum in Colorado and were given to him by Jacobs himself. Jacob's dunkelblau uniform and medals are also in the museum.

--the bright one was given to Jacobs post war by a Navy ace, and the crown is soldered onto the cross itself.

--the other looks like an issue piece, but I could not get a good shot of the hallmarks.

crappy camera phone- :( My good 18 Meg one died on me.

I will get better photos in a couple weeks if there is interest.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2011/post-948-0-16032000-1314242093.jpgughh these stink. I promise better photos. I was playing around with their new Spad XIII wingframe, and the museum director just put these in my hand. Was too excited to hold still. :)

Edited by Chris Liontas

Hi Chris,

I remember Claudio's photos from Technical Museum where the original medals (medal bars, ribbon bars, Pour le Mérite, Ehrenbecher etc...) are in Germany.

So I don't understand if it is possible that the original medals of Jacobs are in the States.

Here is the link :

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/46457-oconnor-sammlung/page__hl__%20josef%20%20jacobs__st__20

I've read the O'Connor's book and the Pour le Mérite (without crown) is not the same at all as in the book !!!

Christophe

Hello Chris:

Thank you for posting these photos. This is a mystery indeed!

The PLM on the right is a well-known type of copy of relatively modern manufacture. The piece on the left is possibly a Godet made piece that was modified. I would like to hear more about the story behind this. When did Jacobs give these items to Dr. Parks? Is is possible to also get a photo of the other medals that are with the Jacobs items?

Since Jacobs died in 1978 in is entirely possible that he gave these items to Dr. Parks. The piece on the right may have been a piece that Jacobs owned and used for actual wearing, or a piece that he purchased to give as a gift.

Very interesting.

Best regards

Hi Guys!

More to come on this! I love a good mystery!

LT Jacobs was a close personal friend of Dr Parks. Dr Parks, MD, was teaching at the University of Munich when he met the Lt. They developed a large friendship and, as I understand from Dr Park's son, Lt Jacobs gave his medals, dunkelblau uniform, and several very nice photos to Dr Parks later on. These items would have to have been given in the late 60's or early 70's. I do not know the exact date, but I will find it.

I talked with Stephen Privitaria about the Technical Museum, there is some doubt that the PLM to Lt Jacobs, in the museum, is his actual medal. More to come--I took more close ups and will post them this weekend.

Edited by Chris Liontas

The medal bar is not near to WW1 era, rather 1960s. The HOH3X is neither an old one.

As said, they might be his - but not the awarded ones. Still odd for the medal bar not to include later awards, Hindenburg cross and so.

Hi,

Sorry to say that but this medal bar has not belonged to Jacobs, we are ok with that ? In fact Jacobs received only the Hamburg hanseatic cross and not the Lubeck.

About uniform shown here, the Feldbinde seems to be a Bavarian one, can you confirm it ?

Christophe

I talked with Stephen Privitaria about the Technical Museum, there is some doubt that the PLM to Lt Jacobs, in the museum, is his actual medal. More to come--I took more close ups and will post them this weekend.

Chris, could you clarify which piece in which museum you've referred to as being doubtful?

Hi,

Sorry to say that but this medal bar has not belonged to Jacobs, we are ok with that ? In fact Jacobs received only the Hamburg hanseatic cross and not the Lubeck.

About uniform shown here, the Feldbinde seems to be a Bavarian one, can you confirm it ?

Christophe

Hi Christophe!! I will try to get a better shot of the Feldbinde and confirm it's German State. I honestly would not know a good medal bar from a fake one. However, I have seen photos of Dr Parks and LT Jacobs together with his medals, especially the PLM with Hohenzollern crown attached to it. This makes for a really interesting case. Did LT Jacobs have multiple sets that he wore to certain occasions? Did he have several copies that he got in the 60's as to not damage the original sets?

Guys I can tell you for a FACT that this stuff came to Dr Parks from Jacobs. There is no questioning that the Lafyette Foundation in Colorado (USA) recieved these items from the man himself. The neat thing about this story is, what did LT Jacobs consider important to "give away"? Did he have his original, tucked away, and wore good copies to functions. Did he give Dr Parks a copy medal, thinking who would know the difference (and honestly, did he think anyone would ever notice the way we do?) These are the neat questions I would love to ask.

Ok more photos (I should be in bed)

Here is the book on the Blue Max that features these two awards (this does not mean anything, just wanted to point out these have been around a while) Note the history on the one with the Crown. This doesnt have a date on it, so who is to say it was not made in the 50-60's