News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Is this a legitimate medal bar

Looks fine to me. Could have easily been awarded an ISM early in ERII reign. I am suprised there is no further Home service in WW2 (Defence Medal) , but he may have been unfit for service through his previous War service (or too old) and been a postman etc which accounts for the ISM.

Looks fine to me. Could have easily been awarded an ISM early in ERII reign. I am suprised there is no further Home service in WW2 (Defence Medal) , but he may have been unfit for service through his previous War service (or too old) and been a postman etc which accounts for the ISM.

Scott

I'd agree: loks ok, though the mounting bar is maybe a late addition. It would be an odd one to fake anyway - nice, unusual but not a real "gotta have it grabber" and the three forenames would be a lot of work to match/fake.

My tuppence worth.

peter

Just to chime in with another "looks OK, possible, unlikely" half-nod of confidence. As Peter suggests, I suspect the eFakers would have turned their attention to something more sexy than this. Clearly, we would seem to have an aging postman or some such here.

Perfectly legitimate. I have a similar bar (1914 star with bar and rosette) that I got at Sotheby's in March, 1979 (Lot# 185). Back then Victory medals went for 50p.

It was to a Pvt. in the R.E.s and who later went to work for the Post Office in London.

Edited by Ulsterman

A quick search of the FreeBMD database shows a HARRY.BERNARD.F CAMFIELD born September Quarter 1899 in Portsea. So he was underage (could the BURG be Bugler?) (or lied) to get in. That would place his working career well into Queen Elizabeth's reign.

And the London Gazette shows Gazette his ISM as a scientific assistant, Haslar.

Anyway, someone picked it off.

Edited by Michael Johnson

A quick search of the FreeBMD database shows a HARRY.BERNARD.F CAMFIELD born September Quarter 1899 in Portsea. So he was underage (or lied) to get in. That would place his working career well into Queen Elizabeth's reign.

And the London Gazette shows Gazette his ISM as a scientific assistant, Haslar.

Well done, Michael!

:cheers:

I thought you could go overseas up until 1973 at age 16 as a soldier. When I was young I well remember the horror of the Provos killing three Scottish soldiers (March 9th) when they went out drinking . Two were brothers and only 16. After that HM forces wouldn't allow 16 years old to Ulster.