News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

State Prize

Ed_Haynes

I was sent this in an e-mail. Is this what I guess it is? A contemporary post-Battushig State Prize??

It's not really post Dr B, since it's number A6.4 in his book.

The main variations of this title are :

-Choibalsan State prize, with Choibalsan's portrait 1945-1962 (A6.1)

-State prize with old state seal 1962-1970 (A6.2-3)

-State prize with 1970's state seal and 10 "curls" since 1970(A6.4)

-State prize with 1970's state seal and 14 "curls" (Herfurth M48)

Jan

Edited by vatjan

It's not really post Dr B, since it's number A6.4 in his book.

The main variations of this title are :

-Choibalsan State prize, with Choibalsan's portrait 1945-1962 (A6.1)

-State prize with old state seal 1962-1970 (A6.2-3)

-State prize with 1970's state seal and 10 "curls" since 1970(A6.4)

-State prize with 1970's state seal and 14 "curls" (Herfurth M48)

Jan

Oops, thanks, Jan! Was working from memory = without a net, always a bad idea. :)

can be something said about the rarity of these state prices?

about the choibalsan prize, how is the golden medaillon attached to the base and are those "prongs" made out of copper?

christian

Squinting at the Choibalsan Prize, the front part seems to be gold (really), but the two pins that attach it seem to be silver (tarnished) or perhaps copper/bronze. Hard to get a scan that shows colors accurately.

An interesting observation.... On the OPW2, a gold H&S is often backed with copper-colored prongs to the disc. Same with the few real eggs I've seen.. the snipped off and wedged prongs look almost like copper, or a re copper colored. Interesting...

• 1 month later...

I just obtained a A Choibalsan State Prize, only the 2nd one I have seen for sale.

Any Ideas as to how many there is???

can be something said about the rarity of these state prices?

about the choibalsan prize, how is the golden medaillon attached to the base and are those "prongs" made out of copper?

christian

I just obtained a A Choibalsan State Prize, only the 2nd one I have seen for sale.

Any Ideas as to how many there is???

Wish we knew. And a shame -- and a bit of a surprise -- that they weren't numbered, so there'll never be any hope of matching them up to their history. :(

Has anyone any of the later post-Choibalsan State Prize medals in captivity??

Has anyone any of the later post-Choibalsan State Prize medals in captivity??

Alas, I refused a few a year or 2 ago, because I found them too expensive, hah... :( Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Anyway, I did not have the money for them at that time, I earn more now,... and I still cannot afford them, because they are twice as expensive now :speechless::speechless::speechless:

Edited by vatjan

Just wondering, what were you able to get it for back then. I paid $570 for mine.

The previous one I saw for sale they wanted $1000 :speechless:

Alas, I refused a few a year or 2 ago, because I found them too expensive, hah... :( Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Anyway, I did not have the money for them at that time, I earn more now,... and I still cannot afford them, because they are twice as expensive now, aaaaagh :speechless::speechless::speechless:

Agree about the odd lack of numbers, you'd think something named after "Big C" himself would have been numbered! This means we'll never be able to link these back to people. Sad. Even the Title "People's" Badges won't be linkable, as they, too, are unnumbered. Just the lower-level Title of Merit badges hold out any research hope.

Agree about the odd lack of numbers, you'd think something named after "Big C" himself would have been numbered! This means we'll never be able to link these back to people. Sad. Even the Title "People's" Badges won't be linkable, as they, too, are unnumbered. Just the lower-level Title of Merit badges hold out any research hope.

Exactly! I wonder why! :speechless:

Dolf

Funny thing about these Medals is that on the picture shown on Herfurth Catalogue (at least on the 2004 edition I have) the piece shown has 14 of those silver "rings" around the Medal, but on every other piece I've seen, including Dr. Battushig's pic A 6.4, or mine, this piece "only" has 10 of those silver "rings" around it!

Different types or variations?!... :o

Dolf

Funny thing about these Medals is that on the picture shown on Herfurth Catalogue (at least on the 2004 edition I have) the piece shown has 14 of those silver "rings" around the Medal, but on every other piece I've seen, including Dr. Battushig's pic A 6.4, or mine, this piece "only" has 10 of those silver "rings" around it!

Different types or variations?!... :o

Dolf

Good question. Actually, I don't have Herfurt. Guess it should some day.

What I show on these:

(A 6) STATE PRIZE (CHOIBALSAN PRIZE); 1945-62

STATE PRIZE

(A 6.2/M 48) Type 1.1 (silver and copper); 1962-70

(A.6.3) Type 1.2 (silver and brass); 1962-70

(A 6.4) Type 2.1 (enameled center, 10 rings); 1970-??

Type 2.2 (enameled center, 14 rings??); ?????

As always, subject to revision and comment.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 11 months later...

Regarding the Choibalsan Prize, only maybe 10 were ever awarded, though MANY more were produced, as the recent avalanche from the bank proves.

The document, outside. This scans badly, it is a much darker burgandy red, ane I am too jetlagged to fiddle with it.

• 1 month later...

Not in very good condition (most of the silver has "evaporated", enamel is knocked about, etc.), but rather uncommon.

Badge of the State Prize (1962-70) (A 6.2)

Screwplate almost certain replacement.