News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US Air Force Distinguished Service Medal

Tim B

There's not a lot of information on this medal showing the specific details and I've asked this question on a couple of other forums and never really got a solid answer.

So, does anyone here have a known early example of this decoration they can show here for comparison?

I picked this one up sometime back and based on what I see, think it may be an earlier (mid-late 1960's) issue.

Appreciate any help or thoughts on this one.

Tim

I've heard the earlier examples have a lighter blue center "jewel" and this one is lighter than the ones I see currently issued by Graco Inc.

It appears to have some silver base under the blue stone, similar to the coloration of aluminum foil.

Tim

The rim surrounding the blue stone (resin btw) appears to be somewhat defective on the right side and perhaps was misformed during the production process (see red arrows).

The enameling on the stars is nicely done and the die stamping striations on the edge clearly show.

The reason I believe this example to be of early construction is the unmarked brooch.

The decoration was initially established in July 1960, once the Air Force got away from using pre-existing Army awards, and was first awarded in November 1965. At that time, medals were being manufactured with an unmarked crimp style brooch and if maker marked, usually had manufacturer's marks on the medal pendant's rim or lower reverse. Around 1970, manufacturers starting marking their logos on the reverse brooch and usually with the suffix of "GI" for government inspected.

So...?

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I came across a couple of very old threads on another collecting site and two early cased examples lead me to believe there were a couple of early manufacturers. Note the example on the left mirrors the one I show above with the more bright gold rays and lighter blue stone, while the example on the right has more golden bronze rays. Also note the lapel differences between these.

Tim