News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Campaign WW2 stars and their estimated price ranges

Greetings, I am curious how much these are fetching these days. I have just purchased a nice Air Crew set for $400 USD.

I think I got a deal on it. However, I wanted to get a general response from the members here: What are the campaign stars period issue going for?

Atlantic

France and Germany

Italy

Pacific

Burma

Aircrew

Africa

Regards,

JustinG

2dresq

close up. I don't have this medal grouping yet. By looking at the study here, I believe that this one has all the attributes of a genuine medal.

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/british_index.htm

This is a wonderful reference site.

Regards,

JustinG

2dresq

Hello Justin,

I believe an original ACE would cost around £200-£230 wheras the Italy and Africa Stars are about £10 each, I'd have a guess at the others costing about £20 each. I should add I'm not a collector of WWII medals so my guesses are just that.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

Sorry to dampen your party, but the Air Crew Europe Star illustarted in your opening thread / illustration while having the general appearance of being original - IS NOT however an original 'first issue' medal.

Note that the suspension rings on each of the stars is much larger - of wider dimesions - than the original 'first issues'

FYI: Campaign Stars with the larger suspension rings began to be issued in the 1980's as issues to late claimants, and or, as unmarked replacements at that time.

'Late issue' stars are not valued as much as originals, and are notoriously hard to sell-on unless of course someone is looking specifically to acquire a 'late issue'

As information.

Mark

• 1 month later...

I recently came across an Air Crew Europe Star at ebay which is named to Corporal G. Wilson of the Royal Canadian Air Force. it looks pretty ok to me however I am kind of confused with the details on the medal as naming looks ok to me (Boots naming?) but its inscription says he was born on the 5.2.1921 and died on the 14.11.1943.

Although I primarily collect Indian post 1947 medals this one caught my attention I have placed my bid but not too sure if it’s genuine or not but it is worth a try.

Any opinions on this star?

The resolution on the obverse is too low to confirm if it is original. However Canadian stars were not named and I would be very skeptical of any WWII casualty medal which did not come with the official condolence slip (and in the case of a Canadian group with the Memorial Cross to next of kin).

Sorry to dampen your party, but the Air Crew Europe Star illustarted in your opening thread / illustration while having the general appearance of being original - IS NOT however an original 'first issue' medal.

Note that the suspension rings on each of the stars is much larger - of wider dimesions - than the original 'first issues'

FYI: Campaign Stars with the larger suspension rings began to be issued in the 1980's as issues to late claimants, and or, as unmarked replacements at that time.

'Late issue' stars are not valued as much as originals, and are notoriously hard to sell-on unless of course someone is looking specifically to acquire a 'late issue'

As information.

Mark

Also, though it may sound odd to some, the tone of the metal and general appearance is also wrong. There are issue points to look out for, but these become dated over time as better copies are made.

Neither of the ACE's in this thread convince me and i've handled a fair few originals in my time.

However, there were experts and collectors years ago who believed certain things when appraising medals and these have since been proven to be inaccurate. There will always be a few originals that are dismissed as fakes primarily because they were not issued all at the same time in the same place

Peace of mind - what's that worth ?

• 1 month later...

I recently came across an Air Crew Europe Star at ebay which is named to Corporal G. Wilson of the Royal Canadian Air Force. it looks pretty ok to me however I am kind of confused with the details on the medal as naming looks ok to me (Boots naming?) but its inscription says he was born on the 5.2.1921 and died on the 14.11.1943.

Although I primarily collect Indian post 1947 medals this one caught my attention I have placed my bid but not too sure if it’s genuine or not but it is worth a try.

Any opinions on this star?

Sorry to say but this ACE medal is not an authentic first strike. This particular 'strike' is more often referred to being a modern copy of the ACE. Check out the info on the die used for originals - they differ. I would like to show my example but first I need to fix the membership type so I can post good images.

Regards,

Dirk