News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dear All,

I am looking for a book about Imperial German aviators (pilots) that would describe all or most of them, as well as include their biography / pictures. I would like to ask you kindly for any recommendations with respect to this area of research.

Kind regards,

Marcin

Hi Jaba,

Thank you for your kind reply. I am looking for such reference because I have several pictures presenting German pilots from the Great War period that I would like to identify.

I have found that there are at least two worth-mentioning references i.e. "German Aces of World War I: The Pictorial Record" describing about 300 fliegers as well as "The Imperial German Eagles in World War I: Their Postcards and Pictures" (in three volumes). I will buy one or both positions and come back to you with my thoughts.

Kind regards,

Marcin

There are Books for Special Parts of the Air Service like the jasta pilots. But Not all have Pictures. For the Most Part of the Air Service there is no Reference. Identifiyng persons from Picture is vary hard and in Most Cases impossible.

Regstes

Alex

There is also a book of German pilots killed in WW1 with brief biographies-and of course numerous articles about various pilots.

The beloved "Aviation Awards" series by the late, greatly respected N. O'Conner is a treasure trove of information. Also back issues of Cross and Cockade" have HUGE amounts of information in them.

Have you seen the Aerodrome website (is that still around)?

• 9 months later...

Sorry no picture available but informations:

Friedrich Chorus was a early see pilot.

16.10.1914 Seefliegerabzeichen

09.01.1915 Eisernes Kreuz 2.Kl.

23.06.1915 Kommandiert zur FS Putzig

12.09.1915 Kommandiert zur FS Putzig. Bis Rückkehr Vertretung durch Olt.Edler

26.09.1915 Eisernes Kreuz 1.Kl.

14.12.1915 übernimmt die FS Santa Elena

19.11.1916 Kommandiert zur SFS Warnemünde als Leiter

24.12.1916 Urlaub z.W.d.G.

19.07.1917 Befördert zum Kpt.Lt.

23.04.1918 Streichung als Seeflugzeugführer

26.04.1918 Kommandiert zur II.M.I. zur Verfügung nach Abgabe der Stationsleiter-Geschäfte

Regards

Alex

Edited by jaba1914

Alex,

I am really very thankful for the info.I will help me a lot with my research .

Please advise the source of this information if you do not mind as it may point me in the right direction in future.

I believe he was born 0n 29/6/1888 .and his last rank was Kplt. a.d.This is from Ancestry.com

Another option is to check the publication histories of Cross and Cockade/Over the Front/ and Windsock. There are many articles done in the past 50 years on German pilots. Ask also at the AERODROME forum. They might have information on a certain individual or series of articles

Hi

I have that Chorus became commander of the newly establish SFS Libau on 160515. On 230615 some sort of sickness caugt him an he left the command.

And as Alex says he was back sometimes in 0915 after getting nominated for a new command.

:unsure:

Gunnar

Thanks for that guys

May I ask why you have an interest in Friedrich Chorus?

Family member?

Mentioned in a book you are reading?

Or do you have a group of personal effects from him! :jumping: :cheers:

Alex

He must have had credited recorded kills as he did have a aerial kills trophy

What is an "aerial kills trophy"?

All i can say is that no Ehrenpreis award is mentioned for him.

Regards

Alex