News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

That what you show is the Ehrenpreis. Can you post a close up of the plaque.

It is vary interessting because this is the second Ehrenpreis i see to a person not mentioned on the daily order of the MaFlCh.

There is no award of an Ehrenpreis on 10.08.1917 or later. That confuse me.

Maybe Gunnar habe some informations regarding victories of Chorus.

Regards

Alex

Edited by jaba1914

Hi

I have basically the same information as Alex. In the official list of "all" Marine flyers from May 1918 who have scored victories until then

he is not mentioned.

This list is however not entirely complete as some Marine flyers who have scored victories seems not not to have received an Ehrenbecher or

Ehrenpreis or are missing due other reasons...

The chances that he is among these few missing flyers is low...

The rank on this Ehrenpreis is not correct. Chorus was already Kptlt zS on 10 Aug 1917.

A clear answer could be find due checking the KTB of the unit he was flying within around this date. It is NOT enough to read

through the KTB. You must also read the Sonderberichte and Anlagen to the KTB where incidents like these are described.

However it is always nice to se an Ehrenpreis,

:)

Gunnar

And again a wrong information engraved on the plaque. It's the same on the other Ehrenpreis I seen.

That's make me doubt.

Like Gunnar told possible that the sources are not complete but two Ehrenpreises without mention on official sources is unlikely.

In this case the victory is also not mentioned. What IMHO is more unlikely.

Both Ehrenpreises looks identical.

I have no idea what is wrong. The engraving, replaced plaque or the Ehrenpreis.

I know that Niemann had a fake Ehrenpreis years ago. I don't have pictures of this but

But this was controversial discussed on WAF.

Maybe someone could save the pictures from Niemann archive and post here.

What I could watch is that there are two different types of prices.

I don't like to make a judgement about this because I don't have necessary knowledge about those.

But today you never can be sure even if something is wrong.

Regards

Alex

Claudius I am priviliged to have his engraved WW1 Naval dagger ,thus my interest.I am happy to post a photo .

Hello;

You mentioned an engraved dagger. I would love to see it.

Where did you find the Ehrenpreis? Is that currently available for sale?

Gunner,

I know that promotions are often retrospective which I presume may be the case here.How do I get to the KTB and Sonderberichte?I do not even know his unit though!

Yes but his promotion was on 19.07.1917 and on the daily order on that day published.

And the engrave mention a date one month later

Don't understand why this is retrospective.

The KTB and sonderberichte are available on the military archive at Freiburg.

Silver eagles are new for me. I check the institution text about this.

Regards

Alex

Here the original text about the foundation of the Ehrenpreis

Der Ehrenpreis besteht aus einem Aufsatz mit zwei sich bekämpfenden bronzenen Adlern. Die Vorderseite trägt ein silbernes Schild auf dem der Name des Flugzeugführers oder Beobachters, ferner Tag und Ort der Tat, die zur Verleihung des Preises Veranlassung gegeben hat, eingraviert werden. Ein weiteres gleichartiges Schild auf der Rückseite soll zur Aufnahme der Daten etwaiger weiterer gleichartiger Erfolge dienen.

The prize consists of an essay with two warring bronze eagles. The obverse bears a silver plate on which the name of the pilot or observer, also the date and place of the act that gave rise to the award of the prize, to be engraved. A second plate on the reverse with informations about further victories can be present.

Regards

Alex

Alex,

Thanks for that .This Ehrenpreis clearly differs from the standard one and must have been specially made .One finds these variations even in the third Reich were special presentation pieces were made which vary from the standard .I have no doubt this is an original period piece as the quality and markings are all there and above all it is solid silver!

I must have been presented for a extraordinary event and I hope I will be able to find out with further research .It might be possible to trace the family.I have managed to do this once with a PLM recipient .

• 7 months later...

Seeeeeeeehr interessant!!!

I owned the engraved Chorus dagger and the engraved Chorus sword (I will post pictures soon) about...eight or nine years ago? I sold them with research to someone in New Jersey who split them up to my horror. I JUST bought the sword back again two days ago.

I never heard of an Ehrenpreis to Chorus.

Piek, how did you put together the Ehrenpreis and the dagger from all the way over in S. Africa?? Well done!

How did you come by the Ehrenpreis and did you acquire it before or after the dagger? Is the provenance strong on the trophy? I know who I bought the edged weapons from. I will see if he remembers his source.

Here is the sword...

Edited by Luftmensch

Wunderbar!!!

I bought the dagger from Wittmann after I had the trophy for about 20 years which I aquired in Germany .I was really surprised to find the dagger at the time. Interestingly "Snyder" also had a goblet with Chorus's name on which I missed .I saw the photos and it looked good.

The sword of course would be of great interest to me.

Hmmm...and of course the dagger and Ehrenpreis would be of great interest to me. Let's meet somewhere in the middle, maybe St Helena? :whistle:

Guys, this thread and this forum are amazing indeed. Collector's world might be smaller than st.exupery's asteroid! Hopefully one of you will bring Chorus Group together in the future, lol. Congrats.

• 3 years later...