News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nigerian Medical Uniform Insignia

Paul R

I have been working very closely with a Nigerian crew who is taking over one of our old Coast Guard ships. In their preparation to take the former Cutter, I worked to ensure that their medical staff had ample medications and supplies, as well as any other support they may need.

As they are departing tomorrow, they provided to me several gifts, which I traded for my uniform items.

The first set is for a Nigerian Second Class Petty Officer. The set includes the rank patches and a beret wtih the PO2-1 badge.

The second set is from the Nigerian Doctor, who is an equivelant to a Navy Leiutenant. The red highlights on the shoulder board emphasizes a Medical Officer. The typical line officer just had the gold braid on the black badge cloth. Also included is the officer level beret badge.

Nice catch! I spent two years in Nigeria and never even thought about them having a navy, though of course they would. I did meet a few officers from the armoured brigade stationed in our statwe capital, most of whom had trained at Fort Knox. They all thought the US was great and wanted to go back to visit.

Did you get any of the Nigerian Army items?

I guess that Nigerias Navy is smaller than our Coast Guard. Most of their men are "selected" and brought in by "friends". It is cool to talk to them about their various tribes and ect, which is easily seen by the scars on their faces.

They all seemed to be very nice folks. It was a pleasure to work with them.

• 4 months later...
    • 8 years later...

Not me.  I didn't actually collect anything at that point in my life.  Plus, I was with our version of Peace Corps and drawing a local salary, not the 'we have oil money' contract foreign teacher rate, so didn't actually have $$ for such things. 

If the Coast Guard gents have facial scars, that makes them southerners or from 'middle belt' states but not likely Ibo or Yoruba and definitely not Hausa, who come from the semi-arid northern half of the country.  When I was there the Army was running the country and we had 3-4 Army sergeants stationed at our school, theoretically teaching PT and helping enforce discipline.  Two of them were Tiv and had prominent scars on both cheeks - 3 horizontal lines, if memory serves.

Brought in by friends sounds familiar too.  In a country with no welfare, unemployment or most services we take for granted, you depend on your nuclear family, your extended family, your tribe and then the government for support.  So, if you get a good job - any job with a reliable salary, however low - you are expected to help your 'brothers' get the same.