News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Boer War slouch hats

After posting the 1900 serge tunic, I thought I'd show off some slouch hats from the era. First up is a nice 1901 dated hat that is really interesting as it is asymmetric (longer in the back) and has a nice venting pattern on the top. The hat came to me unbadged, so I added a real IY rosette.

Here is a third khaki slouch hat from the era with, again, a Prince of Wales badge group (but no IY rosette). The press stub is the same type as the 1901-dated example I posted; it has a pugaree as well. The sweatband on this example is missing, and the chinstrap in bad shape (though it looks to be exactly the same as the second cap posted). This example exhibits an interesting set of six vent grommets instead of vent holes.

No here is a strange one that I could use some help on. It is a green slouch cap. It has the same press-studs as the second IY example I posted but a tri-coloured flag (upside-down Dutch flag?). The "2 F" badges look of the era. It also has a very thin leather band and a cheap sweatband.

What is this green slouch cap? Is this Boer? Is this some light infantry or rifle unit? Is this a Boy Scout cap? (It's pretty large at 7-1/8, so it'd be a big scout.) Any ideas?

Edited by LeeG

Lee - an interesting post and one that I think will generate some interest - you've already got Stuart on board !

Many people think that the Australians took the current slouch hat from the Colonial troops in South Africa - they had been using that design for quite a while. There must be Orders on the pattern from Aust. and it would be nice to clear this point. Over the years I have seen a number of the SA Colonial pattern - but I have never seen the double row of ventilation holes. I am wondering if orders were given to Aust. troops to do this for better ventilation. The holes have the appearance of being done with brad awl. Stuart - what do you think ?

With regard to the green one you have - i personally think this has been made-up. Ther Dutch flag looks added and the two brass badges look to be British. Hopefully some other member will have an opinion.

Mervyn

Thanks Stuart and Mervyn. If the green cap is made-up, what is it made up to be? The components of the cap seem to be of the era, I just have no idea what they are for. I would think that if it were completely made up it would be to mimic a famous unit or a more obviously Boer looking type insignia (like a correct-side up Dutch flag). Any thoughts?

The Dutch Flag upside down is used by the German State Schlesvig-Holstein. Are you sure it is blue and not bleeched black?

A number of Dutchmen volunteered to fight for the Boers. Even a few Army officers resigned their Royal Commission to join, and in some Dutch towns money was collected to buy supplies for the Boers. In a magazine from around 1899 I saw photos of field guns (lock, stock and barrel) inclusive horses, volunteers in their uniforms ready to be shipped overseas. If they wore a Dutch Flag uside down as a badge, I cannot confirm, but it stretches the limits of imagination.

I really don't know what to think of the green cap. Hopefully somebody can help identify it. I really don't think it is a 'fake' or even a put-together, but it may prove to be something incredibly banal like a forester's cap.

In any case, here is something very non-banal (is that a word?): an officer's khaki helmet from about 1900. I've been looking for sometime for one of these. More photos are posted in Stuart's Boer War sun helmet thread: http://gmic.co.uk/in...692#entry470692

Edited by LeeG

Lee - who knows why things are 'made-up' - sometimes for theatre productions , boy scouts - endless possibilities. I still think this has had - at the least, alterations made to it's appearance. Firstly, the leather band around the crown looks to be quite new - secondly, the inner head band does not look correct. I hope I am wrong and that you can establish a provenance for it's background. Mervyn

The Dutch Flag upside down is used by the German State Schlesvig-Holstein. Are you sure it is blue and not bleeched black?

Actually might not be as daft as it seems. I'm sure some Imperial/State German units wore the slouch hat at the turn of the last century and in that case the colour grey/green would be correct.

Stuart,

One of those Südwester slouch hats on that site (the second) is currently in my collection. These are great hats.

Lee

Edited by LeeG