News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Customs Service Medal Bar

Hello to all,

I bought this gem of a Customs Service medal bar at the recent MAX Show. I've wanted a medal bar with a Customs Service Decoration on it for a very long time. I never thought, though, that I would find what I consider to be the ultimate in a Customs Service medal bar. :jumping: It not only has the elusive Customs Service Decoration on it, but it is also an all-Third Reich Period, six-place medal bar (seven-place if you count the Prague Castle Clasp as a separate award). A very very scarce, if not a rare find, in my opinion.

Best regards,

Tom

Tom,

This is the longest Customs medal bar I have seen. Well done on getting this one, definitely a rarity!! :jumping:

Best wishes

Matt

Hello Matt,

Thank you for your comments. I was very lucky to find this gem of a medal bar.

Best regards,

Tom

Tom

Is the KVK2 made from zinc? It looks like the medal has lost all of its finish.

Best wishes

Matt

Hello Matt,

Yes, indeed! The KVK2X is a zincer and it looks kinda funny hanging alongside all the nicer-quality medals doesn't it? Pretty much all of the bronze wash is gone, except in the low areas. There is no real wear to the cross though: It's just that the finish has dissipated which, of course, is very common with zinc medals.

Best regards,

Tom

I find it hard to get excited by a bar from one of the bastids who opens all my parcels and charges me import tax on German Militaria arriving back in Germany!!!!!

Shame on them! Who thought af giving Customs men medals!!??!! Who next? The Tax man????????????? :violent:

I find it hard to get excited by a bar from one of the bastids who opens all my parcels and charges me import tax on German Militaria arriving back in Germany!!!!!

Shame on them! Who thought af giving Customs men medals!!??!! Who next? The Tax man????????????? :violent:

I know what you mean, Chris, and I do sympathize with you. :( The guy wasn't really what I would call a "customs official" though. He was active duty military that got stuck with border patrol duty for at least four years. But once the war got going, he became cannon fodder like the rest of the grunts. Unless, maybe he did get that EK2 for seizing some of your packages. :unsure:

Best regards,

Tom

Hello Matt,

Yes, indeed! The KVK2X is a zincer and it looks kinda funny hanging alongside all the nicer-quality medals doesn't it? Pretty much all of the bronze wash is gone, except in the low areas. There is no real wear to the cross though: It's just that the finish has dissipated which, of course, is very common with zinc medals.

Best regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

The KVK2 only slightly detracts from the overall attractiveness of the medal bar. ;)

Given that the KVK2 is zinc, is it safe to say this medal bar was put together some from 1943 onwards?

Best wishes

Matt

Hi Tom,

The KVK2 only slightly detracts from the overall attractiveness of the medal bar. ;)

Given that the KVK2 is zinc, is it safe to say this medal bar was put together some from 1943 onwards?

Best wishes

Matt

Hi Matt,

I think it looks kinda neat to see the zinc KVK2X surrounded by all the early-quality medals. In my opinion, it doesn't really detract at all. A bronze KVK2X might look a bit nicer on this bar, but would I replace the zincer with a bronze one? Not in a million years!

I would definitely agree that this bar was upgraded sometime in the middle of WW2: (at least 1942 or later). What we see here is probably his prewar bar that was upgraded after he received his EK2 and KVK2X. A skilled assembler could remove that four-placer intact off its original backplate an then slide it onto a longer plate and add on the subsequent awards. Or, it could be a completely re-mounted wartime assembly.

Best regards,

Tom

• 1 year later...

Last year at the 2011 MAX Show, I was finally able to buy a Customs Service Medal bar that had eluded me for far too long. One year later, at the 2012 MAX, I was able to find another gem of a Customs Service bar. This one is only a three-placer, but it is in mint condition and I couldn't pass it up. Hope you like it!

Best regards,

Tom

• 2 months later...
    • 5 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

That first bar is a :love::love::love: That's the only one I've ever seen with combat WW2 awards on it (subsequent bars above are the norm), and I'd have thought indicated return to military service BUT just saw a photo at last weekend's show (insane price, by any standard) of a junior customs NCO whose sole award was an Ostmedaille--

I'm wondeing now if they were pressed directly into anti-partisan duty like police and even RAD, uniformed as already equipped. Certainly no "reason" for Combat Customs!!!

• 3 weeks later...

That first bar is a :love::love::love: That's the only one I've ever seen with combat WW2 awards on it (subsequent bars above are the norm), and I'd have thought indicated return to military service BUT just saw a photo at last weekend's show (insane price, by any standard) of a junior customs NCO whose sole award was an Ostmedaille--

I'm wondeing now if they were pressed directly into anti-partisan duty like police and even RAD, uniformed as already equipped. Certainly no "reason" for Combat Customs!!!

Hi Rick,

I am pretty certain that the bar is completely original. I have attached pictures of both the front and reverse below. I assumed a member of the Wehrmacht on active duty, that served on border security duty for four years (pre-war) then fought during WW2. I remember Helmut Weize having a nice Customs combatant grouping a number of years ago. It came with his pre-war medal bar (Wehrmacht 12-Year, Wehrmacht 4-Year, Customs Service Decoration, and Czech Annexation Medal), his WW2 combat awards (EK2, Infantry Assault Badge, Wound Badge), and all of his award documents. It was a really neat grouping, but I can't recall the unit he served with during the war. I do remember that no one bought it as a whole, so Weitze split it up.

Best regards,

Tom

Edited by tyanacek