News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

His uniform looks kind of queer ... ;):P

Could you please be so kind and date it? I'd guess it's post 1866 and pre 1871, but the Waldeck Merit Cross was just instituted in 1871 and the Photo is presumably taken later, but when?

post-1172-1179694130.jpg

Edited by saschaw

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch:

:speechless1:

FIFTY years in the strangely uniformed service of Prussia and...

NONE of his medals are properly MOUNTED????? :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

I have NO idea what kind of civil service that uniform is. None at all.

Wow.

• 2 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

Ah, that would be difficult-- with only 23 for WW1.

Using this :jumping::love::cheers: class as an example, in the soon to be reprinted Waldeck Rolls first done by Erhard Roth using the wartime published Beilagen, Daniel has added 17 birth and death years for the 23 recipients and 3 birth years. Of the 3 we haven't been able to find either birth or death data on, one was a stray AUSTRIAN!

Since I have the actual ROLLS for this class, I could add 5 units and changes for 12 dates to reflect actual bestowal rather than Beilage publication dates.

Thousands and thousands of such changes for the coming

Waldeck 1914-1918 Rolls, Edition 2! :catjava:

• 4 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch::jumping:

Generalmajor aD Johannes Carl Hugo FRETZDORF (1865-1929)

SWF2bX 1914 6th Prussian, as OTL, Rgts Kdr Landwehr Inf Rgt 83

WV-OX 5.1.15 as OTL Rgts Kdr LIR 83.

:jumping:

Gentlemen,

We don?t seem to have one of these yet. As most of you know, these pieces are quite heavily faked; so I can not offer any guarantees of authenticity with this one. My ribbon is close, but not quite right; these ribbons are very difficult to find. Any observations on this matter are most welcome.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

• 3 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

Surprisingly easy, given the possible number of awards with those same ribbons. :rolleyes:

Major aD Werner von Buttlar (born 1873) of Inf Rgt 83

WVK4, BrH4, and 1897 before the war.

This is a wartime bar since he has not added his post-war XXV. (ABSENCE of ANY long service ribbon is what pointed me to this as an officer's bar and not an NCOs, with the 1897.)

WVK4X 3.10.14 as Hauptmann in Inf Rgt 83.

SekLt 18.8.94 M7m

Oberlt 16.2.04 M

Hptm 16.6.11 N4n

Major ca 1917 but I can't find him on a quick check through the 1918 Seniority List-- the infantry Majors are a jumble of early-promoted staff types and "compensation" catch ups for glacial pre-war promoted careers in one regiment officers like von Buttlar..

Merry Christmas!

Surprisingly easy, given the possible number of awards with those same ribbons. :rolleyes:

Hi Rick,

easy only for the expert ;)

Thank you very much for identifying the bar.

Here is what I found on v. Buttlar in the "Offizierstammliste IR 83", Berlin 1903.

greetings

eitze

Edited by eitze

Guest Rick Research

It's odd in a way, having served all those long years in IR 83, that he never got anything else from Waldeck during the war--when they were so generous about repeat awards. Von Buttlar must have been almost immediately re-assigned to one of the war regiments and ended up far far away from home.