News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

Nope, sorry. The screwy devices through everything off. If this was a medal bar and we could see what the awards REALLY are... but this is a DOUBLE "error."

Nope, sorry. The screwy devices through everything off. If this was a medal bar and we could see what the awards REALLY are... but this is a DOUBLE "error."

Double error :unsure:

What device would have been there? Should silver or gilt swords been on it or perhaps nothing? Why is it this way, did he want others to know he received a higher grade or officer grade from Waldeck? This bar is really nice but I'm growing tired of the darn thing.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I got something new.

A 10 piece Bandspange with double Waldeck :jumping:

It should be attributed to Major z.D. von Sommerfeld und Falkenhayn, Batt. Kommandeur RIR 235.

He was awarded the Verdienstkreuz

- 4. class with X: 05.01.1915

- 3. class with X: 03.11.1917.

So I need a confirmation and if possible, some more info of the man :rolleyes:

greetings

eitze

Guest Rick Research

Interrrresting. NO GOLD THREAD in the 6th ribbon? That makes a number of "Brunswick" ribbons' identifications on other bars shaky, hmm hmm.

HUGO (NOT the General of the same name) von Sommerfeld und Falkenhayn got the LDH4a (which should have gold thread in the yellow stripes) 26.11.13 as a retirement present-- "Hauptmann zD, bisher Bezirkskommando Detmold-B?nde," born in Wola Kreis Zuin, Provinz Posen but the Detmold roll masters did not have his birth DATE-- he was GONE already.

He started out as an active officer in Fusilier Regiment 35 (thanks Glenn-- FR 35 Stammliste :cheers: ):

Hauptmann zD 16.6.11 B4b

Major zD aD

I am amazed that somebody with all those "clock stopped"years of zD time ever got ANY Prussian long service award!

Now, :beer: to your finding this ribbon bar, we have been able to confirm the WALDECK double entries' Rufname AND add birth year to the Detmold Rolls being published later this year!

See? Never ending, always updating. :catjava:

Rick - you are my man !!! :jumping:

On his later WW 2 Bandspange you can clearly see the GOLD thread at the edges of the Detmold ribbon. Unfortunately the larger bar wasn`t offered :(

Three WW-2 awards at the age of nearly 70 - I can`t really believe that ???

Here we go.

greetings

eitze

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Huh! I would love to see his award documents on those!!!

Well, this took FOUR of us as a team to straighten out-- and it could not have been done without the ribbon bar. Daniel and I both missed the Detmold/Waldeck link because... there was no reason to have LOOKED for such an improbable connection. And without Glenn, we'd all be sunk! :cheers:

Everybody with our new Waldeck Rolls-- pencil in this new data! :jumping:

As far as his age in Russia-- somewhere I have a partial listing of Feldgefangenenlager commandants from the end of 1941-- many were of this age. If he was healthy, he could have been some sort of Ortskommandant and then involved in Sicherheits Division "Korr?ck" anti-partisan action.

My late friend George Seymour had a medal bar to a general who had been Commandant of occupied Bucharest in WW1 and was back there--at age 77--as liaison officer in WW2!

I've got half the group of a Bavarian officer who was a 1915 amputee and yet served as an Abwehr Oberstleutnant in WW2-- also born 1873.

eitze, congratulation, that was a steal. I almost bought it, but as it isn't my metier ... ;)

Did you _ask_ the seller if he still has the other one? You could aswell ask the guy from MFF, who may be someone else ... that larger has to be somewhere and the guy who split them is a :violent:

@Rick - thank you for the further info.

@sascha

I didn`t buy it at the ebay auction some weeks ago!

I saw it this week on the homepage of J?rg Kalies and got it at once. So I don`t know if the ebay seller is the same as the guy from MFF. But I try to contact him because of the bigger Spange.

greetings

eitze

Guest Rick Research

Congratulations! You've BOTH got a set!

Now everybody sing the "It's A Small World After All" song! :cheers:

I think it is interesting to note that on both these Third Reich ribbon bars, there is no gold thread in the LDH4a ribbon. I've got a WW2 ribbon bar for an OKH Oberst and his DOES have the gold threads.

Hey, that's great ... :cheers:

I think it is interesting to note that on both these Third Reich ribbon bars, there is no gold thread in the LDH4a ribbon. I've got a WW2 ribbon bar for an OKH Oberst and his DOES have the gold threads.

von Sommerfeld und Falkenhayn's later bar has as well, see #131 ... ;)

• 1 month later...

And the reverse.

Unfortunately there are enamel damages on the left and lower arm :(

This wasn`t mentioned in the auction catalogue by Carsten Zeige :mad:

So never buy anything without detail photos of BOTH sides!

greetings

eitze

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

Aggggghhhhh!!!! If we only could match the ?M3K to the Gold Medal!!!! :banger:

Notice that the wonderful tiny stickpin mini is for a regular 12 years medal, while it's an LD2 on the Medal Bar? Sooooo small nobody noticed the lettering! :cheers:

Hey, great you got them - and managed to keep most together.

For those who aren't much on eBay: all this was offered lose, with an additional ribbon bar (eitze lost), a casted awarded EK I and a vaultet EK I. Maybe the information on EK I might help to get the guy... ? EK I to NCOs aren't to common, from what I know. ;)

He offered 3 ribbon bars in two auctions: 2 with devices (I lost both) and the above. Asked him for a whole offer, but no way :(

The bad thing was, that all stuff in the last auction ended at the same time - so no chance to react.

greetings

eitze

• 3 months later...