News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thank you Wild Card!

Yes, it´s a very good forum, I´m member since January. But my handicab is my bad English.

I saw your top collection of Waldeck and I´m very jealous!

After my holiday I show you other pieces of my collection.

Greetings Andi

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I`ve got new additions for the Waldeck-Pyrmont Roll Book.

So grab your edition and let us start.

Goldene Verdienstmedaille mit Schwertern:

Musketier Heimel (page 25)

Musketier Prager (page 27)

Both member of 12./ IR 83

They got their medal for the following deed:

On 07.04.1918 both men saw a wounded German soldier lying in no mens land. A French patrol of 4 men were approaching the soldier. Despite of heavy machine gun fire both men rushed forward to save the wounded. They killed one of the French, two others fled and the fourth, Lt. F. Chutelle of the French 120. regiment, was taken PoW. After that they managed to get the wounded comrade back.

Beside the Waldeck decoration both men also received the EK 1. class for that action!

Verdienstkreuz 4. Klasse mit Schwertern:

Lt. der Reserve

Neumeyer

III./ IR 83 (page 16)

After storming the town of Sancourt, the enemy started a counterattack with some tanks. The bataillon was forced to withdraw. During that action he was KiA on 30.09.1918.

Lt. der Reserve

Leyh

I./ IR 83 (page 15)

He was KiA on 30.09.1918 when the Regimental Headquarters in Abancourt was hit by artillery fire.

He was spilled in the basement, just after returned from a frontline holiday one day earlier!

Lt. der Reserve

Hohmann

Leader of 11./ IR 83 (page 14)

He was KiA on 07.10.1918 at the road Fresnes - Gavelle, after the enemy has stormed the German trenches. He was decribed as a hero, who was killed at the head of his company!

Source: Regimental history of the IR-83.

Hope you like it :cheers:

greetings

eitze

• 3 months later...

Meet

Karl Eduard Heinrich BRIELE.

He was born on 18.12.1885 in Nieder-Wildungen / Waldeck-Pyrmont.

You`ll find him in the Waldeck Roll Book on page 36.

Karl was awarded the "Silberne Verdienstmedaille mit Schwertern" on 11.05.1915 (Roll). In his military papers the date was given as 15.05.15. At that time the Regiment No. 83 was in action against Russians in the east. So perhaps he got the medal for that front or for the service at the westfront before. The medal was his first award.

Three years later came the EK-2 for the fighting in the west on 17.05.1918.

His "Führungszeugnis" for the pre-war military service was signed by Hauptmann Hans von Winterfeld. Prior joining the IR 83 he was a member of the China Expedition in the Boxer War.

Before the war he was awarded the 4. class of the Waldeck Merit Cross and on 03 10.1914 as a Major he got the 3. class with swords (Roll Book page 10).

post-1183-032437600 1291563123_thumb.jpg

Edited by eitze

Gentlemen,

I think that one of the most unique designs of Imperial German decorations, which deserves mention here, is the Waldeck golden merit medal/medal for arts & science. Allow me to explain this unusual nomenclature. This medal was used and known as the golden merit medal from 1891 to 1899. It then became, from 1899 to 1918, the medal for arts & science.

The large medal which was awarded from 1903 to 1918, at 57 mm x 45 mm, was worn at the neck is and is truly spectacular. Unfortunately I can only offer a ?little brother? (43.25 mm x 32.1 mm) as an example here.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

---- mostly for WildCard. I was just browsing through this and what you refer to as a "little brother" actually exist in a much smaller 16 mm version, a thing I would more correctly quote as a "little brother". Sorry that the scan came out so bad, the colours are actually brighter and more true to the original.

Cheers, Lars

post-4854-061355500 1291589071_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

through the generosity of fellow member laaspher I was able to re-unite the paper group of Karl Briele :jumping:

I got two more Soldbücher, his EK-2 award certificate and a picture of him in hospital.

post-1183-090132100 1293894521_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
    • 1 year later...

Hello Gentleman,

Let see if I can wake this tread up a bit.

Yesterday I bought the following group of medals, they were found in a small castle in the Netherlands (story to be confirmed) I was told that the castle needed to be cleaned out after the last inhabitant died, the furniture was auctioned of and the medals were found by the people who cleaned if afterwarts in and old blanket chest in the attic..almost a to good to be true story... but..

The medals are placed on the cushion by means of safety pins, except for the iron cross 1st and the wounded badge. when I first saw te pictures I had to search a bit to find out the first one is a rare Waldeck medal, I collect orders from Netherlands and Belgium, so this is not really my cup of thea.. but.. it's interesting, or shal i say intriguing... the fact they are mounted on this cushion, and also that it seems to be a real group of one person which was cherished in a way. Did the owner died because the medals ar not Mounted together ? Elsewhere I read the Waldeck medal was awarded 73 times so would it perhaps be possible to put a name with this group of medals ?

Lots of questions and I hope one of you can help me in my search..

Tim

Hello Tim and, as one of its members, welcome to the GMIC!

We love to see your Netherlands and Belgium militaria, if you care to post any of it.

"the medals were found by the people who cleaned if afterwards in and old blanket chest in the attic..almost a to good to be true story..."

Yes, it is a good story that all medal collectors love to hear. Furniture sold in auction, but the blanket chest was overlooked. Medals on the death pillow, but none of the funerary ribbons, dried flowers or funeral cards and well-wishers that a family would keep from the ceremony. All very clean and with no extraneous detritus.

From what you told us there isn't much to evaluate on further, however since these medals came from castle that the inhabitant just died, it would be valuable to know which castle. From there, it shouldn’t be too hard to learn the names of the last owners (important, because it might not have belonged to the last occupant). I think this will narrow down the recipient faster than the known 73 awarded Waldeck list would.

...But we really need the name of that castle.

As for the medals; this does look like a real Ordenskissen, but I have my doubts that it is a period assembly. The medals and orders appear real, but they are all individually parade mounted. The layout of the medals on the pillow looks a little modern to me. Do the medals even belong to one man? The Centennial medal ribbon is filthy(a good sign), but the Red Eagle's ribbon (similar age) is pristine. The VW has rust(?).

Could use some better photos of the awards, and reverses. I know that you will have to remove them from the pillow, but this will also let you examine the pin holes in the pillow. If these medals were attached undisturbed for the last 80 years they will should look like they have been undisturbed for 80 years.

There is more to learn here....

• 1 month later...
    Guest Rick Research

There were 81 awards of the WVK3X (our 2008 Waldeck 1914-1918 Rolls are still available from Michael Autengruber or Daniel Krause or me).

The awards all seem to have been--pointlessly alas--pulled off a medal bar for this rather odd funeral display. But from the ribbon drapes they DO appear to have come off the SAME medal bar. IF there were no other awards but these--and there do not appear to be spaces from which others have been "harvested," then there were only TWO possible recipients.

At this point, the unpardonable collecting crime would be removing any of these awards and thus destroying the in situ funeral arrangement.

Never have I heard a more complex yet vague "story" about where these came from. Doesn't matter--of ZERO relevance to what they are and who they might have belonged to.

TWO possible recipients.

Guest Rick Research

Actually, only ONE recipient. The other was a Landwehrbezirk officer whose EK2 was apparently a stay-at-home war merit in the homeland type. So there is only one suspect IF these were ALL the awards this officer had.

Unfortunately, as a forensic research matter, once the "structural integrity" of a medal bar is gone

and this has GONE

there is only one way to prove definitively that the only suspect was indeed the original wearer:

a photograph of him wearing this bar, that can be matched to the exact drapes of the ribbons.

That is unlikely, given that he was a battalion commander in a Landwehr regiment.

Still, less likely things have happened here at GMIC.

Despite the fact that this medal bar was stupidly pulled apart back around 1930 or whenever (HOPEFULLY not last Christmas) as a funeral pillow surviving all this time (sad but quite rare) it is still worth (for those concerned only with money) more AS IS than the scraps would be...individually dispersed to the winds.

I'll say no more until it's determined that such a ghastly thing has not occurred since this set was posted.

• 2 years later...
    • 2 years later...
    On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2007 at 15:58, Komtur said:

Now I can :jumping::jumping::jumping:

tr_ger_waldeck_OKX_2.jpg

tr_ger_waldeck_OKX_2.jpg

Just looking through this interesting thread and spotted this image, by Komtur, looking closely, he seems to be wearing a corduroy tunic, is it a colonial one such as this attached

cord.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I recently got this rare photo of Prince Leopold IV of Lippe-Detmold, surprisingly wearing not "his" house-order,
    but the Waldeck house-order (with crown) at his neck :speechless:

On the photo he is wearing the uniform of the 6th Westf. Infanterie-Regiment No. 55 (Bülow von Dennewitz),
    the Lippe-Detmold regiment.

The photo was taken in 1909, according to the notice on its backside.

Regards
    Roman

Lippe-Leopold Portrait stehend-55_Uniform-Halskreuz_1909 web.jpg

Lippe-Leopold Portrait stehend-55_Uniform-Halskreuz_1909 Detail.jpg