News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mint mark M – timing analysis

JapanX

As I said, it can be tricky, I am aware of that. Just wanted to present whole circumstances under which I received this medal (btw announced as late 30´s piece). Anyway, I think it would be more suspicious, if the man on the photo was dressed like soldier and if this fact was presented when auction was running to raise the prize of the set. But tell me the motivation of sending the photos of civilian which are not even announced in the auction. Just that japanese love to send the gifts? Maybe.

Cheers

• Replies 61
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another great mystery quest... :lol:

And of couse this could be just a nice gesture + opportunity to get rid of illiquid photos :lol:

How much do you think these "no medals" photos will cost on phaleristic market? ;) Just think about that.

But then of course anything could happen in this world ... And this is actually our man...

By what way, how you actually happen to date these pictures so precisely ;)

Cheers,

Nick

They have no prize. That´s what I am saying. They hadn´t no prize when they came and won´t it when they will go. That is what makes me think, they had some value. Yes, japanese dealers like to send some extra gifts, I have room full of matsu´s paper cranes, but I can´t just imagine seller with 10.000 sells how he demolish one photoalbum after another to spread unwanted gifts. In any part of my info I didn´t want to say "hey, I have photo, it is the key!!!", I just wanted to add another mosaic to your analysis, which will be based on more reliable features of medal (and box) and which - in final result - can approve photos as being theoretically fitting, or dismiss them as a priceless trash.

PS: I don´t think 60-70´s is precise dating. I deduced it from style of the photo, style of formal suits and coats and finally (in one photo) from interior which is typical 60´s - 70´s product.

Come on man!

I didn't used that "priceless trash" expression :lol:

I just expressed my point of view and of course there is a probability that these photos are for real.

Didn't I told you that ;)

Anyway nice piece and happy new year Miro!

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

• 5 years later...

Hello to all dear friends collector :

I come to you today to date a 3rd class rising sun. It seems to me that there are anachronisms  : the date of manufacture of the case and the medal seems don't match.

The medal box under the calligraphy of the kanji seems to be years 1900/1910.

The medal is stamped with M mark and according to Dieter and Nick thread and studies mark M was created in 1929 and was in use till the end of 1936 at least.

Furthermore the medal seems to have be gilded..but after examining in great detail the gilt had to have a small thickness and the medal seems to be in silver.

My question : Is it possible that is an early piece with M mark ????  or more simply, it's not the right box for this medal ?

Thank to all for your answers

Patout

20170906_150736.jpg

20170906_151236_001.jpg

20170906_150943.jpg

20170906_151004.jpg

20170906_151501.jpg

20 hours ago, PATOUT said:

It seems to me that there are anachronisms  : the date of manufacture of the case and the medal seems don't match.

The medal box under the calligraphy of the kanji seems to be years 1900/1910.

This style of inscriptions was in use until mid 30s.

Don`t forget that mint didn`t manufacture award cases.

I would say that this set came from second half of 20s (but no guarantees of course) 

Rossette is from 1936 +period.

I think you gonna like this thread ;) 

Best,

Nick

18 hours ago, JapanX said:

This style of inscriptions was in use until mid 30s.

Don`t forget that mint didn`t manufacture award cases.

I would say that this set came from second half of 20s (but no guarantees of course) 

Rossette is from 1936 +period.

I think you gonna like this thread ;) 

Best,

Nick

Hi Nick

Thanks for your answer and informations, interesting thread too.

surely not so easy to date accurately a set (medal + box).

Patout

Hi Nick

I had understood well that you had put this photo to illustrate our discussion about the marking M we talk about.

But naturally I read the rest of this thread and I was able to notice by reading it that many collectors are intrigued and deceived by this so called or "pseudo early inscription" (as you say) of kanji.

Live and learn...some more things to be learnt..but what a pleasure when it's a passion

Best regards

Patout

• 6 months later...

Hi Nick,

By re-reading your interesting posts on the Japanese medals (what I'm doing very often !)

I read what you say about the mark "M" :

It will be interesting to note that I’ve never seen marked pillars in lower classes from 4th to 8th class (or marked breast stars if it comes to that)"

I have noticed than I have in my collection a fourth class pillars with this mark... and than unfortunately my 3rd class has no hallmark.

I do not know if it is interesting ?? but I wanted to indicate it  to you.

PS : Saddened for the quality of the image I do not manage to make a nice close-up on the hallmark, but it is really a M

Regards

Patout

1 piliers de l'état.jpg

11 piliers de l'état poinçon.jpg

12 piliers de l'état poinçon.jpg

20180315_143829.jpg

20180315_143657.jpg

20180315_143733.jpg