News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen!

On the site of Brian, www.vonetzel.com,

I found a photo of a Lieutenant von Kummer. I would like to know more about the career of the guy on the photo, because I suspect (and rather hope) him to be:

Kummer, Werner Eberhard Siegfried von geb. Berlin 24.2.1874 verst. Schliersee Obayern 8.4.1950 kgl. preu?. Major verh. I Bremen 2.3.1920 Carola Cremer geb. Bremen 10.5.1892 verst. M?nchen 20.3.1933 (gesch. Berlin 29.3.1930) T.d. Prokuristen Karl C. u.d. Maria Erlenwein verh. II Heidenau 11.17.1931 Oda von Seydlitz-Kurzbach geb. Krossen a/d Oder 3.5.1887 T.d. kgl. preu?. Oberstlts a.D. Fritz v. S.-K. u.d. Maria Creuziger

In the short record on the exile of Crownprince Wilhelm on the dutch Isle of Wieringen, it is said that a Major von Kummer was a friend of the CP and regularly replaced Major Louis von M?ldner when the latter visite Germany to try and get the CP home.

Would it be possible to find out more on the career of Leutnant von Kummer, who should have been in a Ost-Asien Regiment at the time of the photo?

Thanks

David

Althoug replying to myself, I think I have this guy worked out myself.

The guy on Brians photo would be Wilhelm von Kummer. The DOA has him as a Rittmeister in the 2. Garde-Uhlanen, with the DCHM and a bunch of decorations, all with swords.

Werner von Kummer is mentioned as a Adjudant to the 2. Garde Kavallerie Brigade in Postdam. A more likely spot to run into the CP.

Sorry if I have troubled you....

Regards

David

Guest Brian von Etzel

I appreciate your research and you may of course repost the photo here. With your permission if this turns out to be his history it would interesting to post YOUR information beneath his photo.

Brian and David,

Wilhelm von Kummer, in 1901 an officer in the Ostasiatisches Reiter-Regiment. He returned to the 2. Garde-Ulanen-Regiment after service in China. In 1904/1905 he briefly served with the 2. Feldregiment (beritten) of the Schutztruppe for German Southwest Africa before again returning to the 2. Garde-Ulanen-Regiment on the 18th of July 1905. He was appointed as commander of the 4th Squadron of his regiment on the 22nd of March 1907. He transferred to the Leib-Dragoner-Regiment (2. Gro?herzoglich Hessisches) Nr. 24 in 1912/13 as commander of the 4th Squadron. I have yet to determine his Major's promotion date but the Ehrenrangliste shows him as an Oberstleutnant a.D.

Sekonde-Lieutenant: 14.12.95 L (improved to 28.1.94)

Oberleutnant: 29.5.03 C (improved to 19.8.00)

Rittmeister (ohne Patent): 22.3.07

Rittmeister: 18.7.07 J8j

Major:

Regards

Glenn

Hi Glenn!

amazing work as always....I always wondered what the effect of such an improved promotion dat would have been? Did it say that they would pay you salary as an Olt from that date or something really different?

Hope you can fill me in,

Thanks

Kind regards

David

Hi David,

I always wondered what the effect of such an improved promotion dat would have been? Did it say that they would pay you salary as an Olt from that date or something really different?

The basic effect in an officer corps where promotion was strictly governed by seniority would be more rapid promotion to the next rank for the officer concerned.

Regards

Glenn

Guest Brian von Etzel

Thanks Glenn. I'm adding those snippets to the page to appear under his photo. No sense letting this go to the bytes in the sky. Thanks.