News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SS-Feldgendarmerie Officer Set

• Replies 63
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The greeting.

Interesting again that he is referred to in this card as Hauptmann der Schutzpolizei, the Police rank he continued to use even in his Waffen-SS Soldbuch even though he also held the rank of SS-Hauptsturmführer. His Zugführer however uses the abbreviation for the rank of Untersturmführer though he has omitted the "SS" prefix

Interesting it appears to be signed by Hellmuth Günkel

/Ian

Thanks for the added info Ian.

So Gunkel wasn't anything to do with SS-Fg Komp 17, the unit Lösel commanded.

My guess then is that they just met up in Nürnberg-Langwasser and the fact that he is a Zugführer to Lösel as Kompanie commander refers to the way the prisoners were organised (into Companies) which would explain Lösel being referred to as commander of 516 Kompanie,(nothing to do with his former unit in GvB) a PoW Company, with Lösel as senior PoW perhaps in charge of a block.?

• 1 month later...

Gordon, fantastic group. Love the Fahrtberechtigungsausweis. These not so easy to find little passes are completely underated and undervalued IMO.

However, I personally cannot see the Kripo connection with the Ausweis?

Gordon, fantastic group. Love the Fahrtberechtigungsausweis. These not so easy to find little passes are completely underated and undervalued IMO.

However, I personally cannot see the Kripo connection with the Ausweis?

Hi Graham,

Its down to an entry in his Polizei Dienstpass. The Ausweis was issued to him in Deecmber 1936, and the Dienstpass shows at this time he was in the Kriminalpolizei.

Hi Gordon,

Many thanks for the extra scans.

Well, what an absolutely fantastic entry to have in a Polizei Deinstpass, just wonderful!

Please do not think I am being picky or anything like that as I have no intention of taking anything away from this wonderful group but unfortunately, I still do not believe this is a Kripo Dienstausweis/Ausweis. I do see an identification to a police official but that is all I see, Dienstpass entries or not.

As far as I am aware, the České Kriminální policie were a state organisation and who had responsiblity for criminal investigations with the help of local uniformed police in certain circumstances. On this ID we can quite clearly see that the "staatliche" term is clearly crossed out, something which I would not expect to see if he was a state Kripo official. Also, there are plenty of references on the ausweis as to him being a policeman but there is no reference on the ausweis as to the "Kriminální policie," again something I would expect to see on a Kripo officials Dienstausweis/Ausweis .

I am also not aware of any Kriminalpolizei organizations with the rank of "Wachmann," although we do see this rank used in other ordinary police organisations at that time. Most, if not all wartime Kripo organizations in Europe set their Kripo officials apart from other police officers in terms of rank, titles and identification credentials and I very much doubt that the České Kriminální policie would be any different.

Hopefully, any Czech members will be able to shed more light.

This is a superb and rare group which any police ID collector would love to have in their collection, me included. Many thanks for showing.

Edited by G Hanson

Please do not think I am being picky or anything like that as I have no intention of taking anything away from this wonderful group but unfortunately, I still do not believe this is a Kripo Dienstausweis/Ausweis.

Not picky at all, and I appreciate the extra info. My main interest is in the military police formations that formed part of the Wehrmacht's Ordnungstruppe. Of course its impossible to collect this stuff without coming across Polizei material as so many of the military police, in the early days at least, came from the civil Polizei formations.

I have no great knowledge of the civil police however ( and absolutely zero about the Czech police !!), and appreciate your feedback. So this is an Ausweis issued to him while he was working with the Kripo, but is not a specific Kripo Ausweis.

Interesting that entries in his Polizei Dienstpass stop when he is posted to the Feldgendarmerie.

I have other Dienstpässe where service with the Feldgendarmerie is noted but I am now thinking that this was because after military service they rejoined the Police and the entries were to "fill in the gaps" between periods of police service. In this case of course Lösel never went back to the Police after joining the Feldgendarmerie.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 years later...