News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

War of the Triple Alliance / Paraguayan War collection

Hello all,

I´m starting this topic to show a little bit of my collection of medals and militaria concerning this period.

Will start with some brazilian medals, and I have some more to show. Hope you like it and I´ll be glad to hear your comments!!

Cheers,

Ricardo

PS_Don´t forget to visit my blog about 1932 CONSTITUCIONALIST REVOLUTION in Brazil:

www.tudoporsaopaulo.com.br

DSC03746.jpg

Naval Battle of Riachuelo in bronze. A very hard to find medal, complete with crown and a fair piece of ribbon.

DSC03732.jpg

DSC03737-1.jpg

DSC03738.jpg

DSC03742.jpg

Uruguay Campaign 1865 (a.k.a. Paysandu Medal) in bronze w/ ribbon.

DSC03717.jpg

DSC03718.jpg

I would like to contribute some illustrations

Americo-ava%C3%AD.jpg

The battle of Avai in Paraguayan territory was fought in December 1868 between the forces of the Triple Alliance and Paraguay.

296.jpg

Batalha+naval+do+riachuelo.jpg

Battle the Riachuelo, 11 June 1865 on the Riachuelo, a tributary of the Paraguay River in the province of Corrientes, Argentina. Considered by military historians as one of the most important battles of the War of Paraguay.

Sorry, but found larger photos..

Edited by lambert

Very nice indeed!!

Maybe if I was born again at some time in the future I would not collect German but do something like 19th Century South American... it certainly makes for a wonderful collecting theme...

Fantastic selection of Brazilian medals. Nice to see someone contributing to a little studied area of medal collecting. There has been little new work on South American Medals since Gillingham published his book in the ANS series of Numismatic Notes nearly 80 years ago. Keep the images rolling. For the Paraguayans the war an utter disaster with probably as many as 90% of the male population being killed (still loads of women for the small number left).

Thanks again for sharing this with us.

All the best,

Paul

Thanks for all your kind replies!

This is the kind of collection you can´t plan. The opportunity to get a new medal may appear only once...but when it happens it´s a celebration day :cheers:

Let´s see some more medals...

DSC03703.jpg

Forte de Coimbra Medal, a 1775 fortification located on Mato Grosso - scenario of a huge battle during the war when paraguayans invaded that region.

forte_coimbra.JPG

DSC03668.jpg

DSC03670.jpg

DSC03671.jpg

Matto Grosso Medal - This is the "bloodiest" medal of the period.

" Brazil sent an expedition to fight the invaders in Mato Grosso. A column of 2,780 men led by Colonel Manuel Pedro Drago left Uberaba in Minas Gerais in April 1865, and arrived at Coxim in December after a difficult march of more than two thousand kilometers through four provinces. But Paraguay had abandoned Coxim by December. Drago arrived at Miranda in September 1866 – and Paraguay had left once again. In January 1867, Colonel Carlos de Morais Camisão assumed command of the column, now with only 1,680 men, and decided to invade Paraguayan territory, where he penetrated as far as Laguna. The expedition was forced to retreat by the Paraguayan cavalry.

Despite the efforts of Colonel Camisão's troops and the resistance in the region, which succeeded in liberating Corumbá in June 1867, Mato Grosso remained under the control of the Paraguayans. They finally withdrew in April 1868, moving their troops to the main theatre of operations, in the south of Paraguay.

(Wikipedia)"

DSC03674.jpg

DSC03676.jpg

DSC03680.jpg

Passage of Humaitá Medal

Passagem_de_Humait.jpg

"On August 1, 1867 the Argentine general Bartolomé Mitre commanded the Brazilian imperial fleet to secure a passage through Curupaiti and Humaitá. On August 15, two divisions of five battleships passed without incident at Curupaiti, but artillery fire forced them to stop at Humaitá. This news caused conflict in the Allied high command. The Brazilian commanders determined that attacking the fortress from the river would be futile, and withdrew their fleet pending a land-based attack which began on August 18. From Tuiu-Cuê the allies headed north and took the villages of São Solano, Vila do Pilar and Tayi, and finally laid siege to Humaitá itself, isolating it from Asunción. In February 1868 Commander Joaquim José Inácio de Barros again ordered the fleet to cross the river by Humaitá, which was done on the 19th. There were few casualties and minimal damage to any of the ships. This was done four more times until the fortress fell on July 25 of that year.

(Wikipedia)"

DSC03688.jpg

DSC03694.jpg

DSC03693.jpg

Edited by ricky1972

Oh.

My.

God.

I LOVE this subject. I thought I had a comprehensive list of the various medals issued for battles- and now two new ones!

OUTSTANDING thread. This war had it all- power mad dictators, Paraguayan casualties that were 80% of the male population, the beginning of the end of the Brazilian empire and slavery (and slave battalions)-Argentine perfidy, Uruguayan bravery. I have collected over 20 books-some of them insanely obscure since this subject first came up @ 10 years ago. Others also seem to have tuned in judging by the ebay insanity last year where CDVs of the Argentine and Brazilian navy officers who stopped in Glasgow in 1869 went for more than an EK1!

Bravo! More! More.

Hello Ulsterman,

I´m glad that you enjoyed the post!!

Before I show more medals, here´s two items I´m sure you´ll like ;)

A PII combat sword (Dom Pedro II) from war period...

DSC03625.jpg

DSC03626.jpg

...and a official volunteer shoulder insignia, made in CASA DA MOEDA, Rio de Janeiro.

DSC03751.jpg

DSC03752.jpg

DSC03754.jpg

DSC03756-1.jpg

guerra-do-paraguai.jpg

Edited by ricky1972

very very cool. Do you have any of the ultra-rare Paraguayan battle medals perchance?

I only have a few Argentine ones from the days before people rediscovered this war-probably the worst in recorded history per capita.

Here's some arm shields i wish were mine=sigh=

Hello azyeoman and Ulsterman,

Thanks for kind replies. I´m negotiating some of the Paraguayan medals, and maybe will get a couple in near future :jumping:

Now some allied medals applied to brazilian troops...

DSC03661.jpg

Argentina campaign medal, silver.

DSC03634.jpg

DSC03637.jpg

DSC03638.jpg

Corrientes battle

DSC03641-1.jpg

DSC03642.jpg

DSC03644.jpg

Edited by ricky1972

• 2 months later...