News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

War of the Triple Alliance / Paraguayan War collection

Hello Gentlemen,even if Brazil is not my main topic of collecting.Here are some of the brazilan medals related to the Triple Alliance War that I have gathered over the years.

The ribbon of the Forte de Coimbra had been "reconstructed" by using parts of the original ribbon.

I bought it like that.

Emmanuel

• 1 year later...
    • 1 year later...

Campaign Medal with Bronze Bar.

DSC03705.jpg

DSC03706.jpg

DSC03711.jpg

another specimen:

DSC03712-1.jpg

​Hello,

I have recently acquired a similar cross (Campanha do Paraguay / 1868-1870), unfortunately without ribbon.

Do you know if it is possible to find one such ribbon on the market (an original would be great but a newly-made one would still do the job)?

Regarding the ribbon bar, was it possible to wear the cross without a bar or was it necessarily issued with at least one bar ?

Thank you in advance for letting me know.

J-S Karlen.

Edited by j-sk

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. J-Sk

Unfortunately I am not aware of a replacement Ribbon. It is possible to use the medal without the bar in the Ribbon no problem, really is a very difficult bar to find

Good luck

Lambert

Hello. J-Sk

Unfortunately I am not aware of a replacement Ribbon. It is possible to use the medal without the bar in the Ribbon no problem, really is a very difficult bar to find

Good luck

Lambert

​Thank you Lambert for your answer and information.

All the best.

Jean-Sam

• 1 month later...

Hello. J-Sk

Good luck

Lambert

Hello Lambert,

I have recently seen on a Brazilian seller's Internet site several 1870 Brazilian crosses (Campanha do Paraguay) for sale. Most have only one single "pasador" on their ribbon (all with different numbers, such as "0", "1", "5", etc.), but among them I have seen a cross hanging from a ribbon wearing TWO different bars ("1" and "2")... ?!? Is it possible to find a cross hanging from a multiple-bars ribbon...?

By the way, who received the "pasador" without any number ("0")...? At first I believed it was given to military personnel who served less than 9 months in this war. But I have also read somewhere that they were given to "administrative personnel"... Do you know more about it...?   

Thank you in advance for letting me know.

All the best,

Jean-Sam. 

Edited by j-sk

Hi Jean

I believe may have been awarded to bureaucratic personnel, but it is certain that the "passador" without number ("0") is for military personnel serving less than nine months in the campaign.

low see a selection of dowels in silver and bronze manufacturing by Casa da Moeda (the ''passador'' were arranged this way just for this, and was used only a "passador" on the medal).

DSC0827a1.thumb.jpg.de63ca017f5b02b717e0

:cheers:

Lambert

Edited by lambert

Hi Jean

I believe may have been awarded to bureaucratic personnel, but it is certain that the "passador" without number ("0") is for military personnel serving less than nine months in the campaign.

low see a selection of dowels in silver and bronze manufacturing by Casa da Moeda (the ''passador'' were arranged this way just for this, and was used only a "passador" on the medal).

DSC0827a1.thumb.jpg.de63ca017f5b02b717e0

:cheers:

Lambert

Thanks Lambert for your reply an explanation. It all makes sense to me now.

By the way, I have seen for sale on eBay a cross bearing a GOLD "passador" with a STAR in its middle instead of a number. Why a star?   

Cheers,

Jean-Sam.  

"Thanks Lambert for your reply an explanation. It all makes sense to me now.

By the way, I have seen for sale on eBay a cross bearing a GOLD "passador" with a STAR in its middle instead of a number. Why a star?   "

Hi.

"Passador" in gold for Argentine or Uruguayan allies

Lambert

"Thanks Lambert for your reply an explanation. It all makes sense to me now.

By the way, I have seen for sale on eBay a cross bearing a GOLD "passador" with a STAR in its middle instead of a number. Why a star?   "

Hi.

"Passador" in gold for Argentine or Uruguayan allies

Lambert

But is it worth the price wanted on eBay?

Well.. found it very expensive,

but I can not compare the prices because I did not find similar items here in Brazil, this medal with "passador" is rarely seen.

Lambert

Edited by lambert

I found it a bit pricy myself.

But wat would be a "reasonable" price for this cross and this particular gold "passador"? In other words, what price a Brazilian collector like you would be ready to pay for it?

Cheers,

Jean-Sam.

Hello Jean.

Although it is expensive, but I would pay this amount: Reasons for it. Item very rare, only seen in books and catalogs and museums, these medals were given to senior officers (majors, generals, marshals), the "passador' is made of solid gold and is in perfect condition.

Yes!

:cheers:good luck

Lambert

• 11 months later...

Hello Gentlemen,

Foolish though this question may seem, does anybody know if the Paraguayan government actually issued a medal (or more) to commemorate its war against the Triple Alliance... even though Paraguay was defeated?

Paraguay issued medals for the Battle of Richuelo 1865 (gold, silver and bronze), Cross for the Battle of Corrales 1866 (Silver and bronze), Medal for the battle of Tataiyba 1867 (Gold silver and bronze) Medal for the battle of Tuyuti 1867 (gold with trophy of arms, gold, silver and bronze) and cross for the Battle of Acaiusa 1868 in silver and bronze, illustrations of these medals are available on http://colnect.com/en/medals/list/country/2255-Paraguay

All the best,

Paul

... By the way, does anybody know where it is possible to find or who is likely to sell a blue-white-blue ribbon (original if possible) for the Argentinian medal issued to the allied army for operations against the Paraguayan government after the 1865-1870 Triple Alliance war (al ejercito aliado en operaciones contra el gobierno del Paraguay)? Mine is totally tattered and shot. A mere relic in fact.