News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The German word "Scholle" is used in the connotation of native soil, and the symbol used is the Odal Rune.

Thus the phrase "Ehret die Scholle die uns ernährt" (honour the patch of native soil which feeds us) has a double meaning:

1- Show respect for the ancesteral soil from which we originate and which feeds us in a spiritual sense;

2- Respect our native fields, crops and land labour from which we gain our bread.

In the late 19th and early 20th Century romantic minds glorified the pure farmers' life as the heirs of the unspoiled basic Germanic heritage, as it was before industrialistion and modern (corrupted) large scale city life. The Nazis picked this up and mixed it with their Blut und Boden ideas. That is, for instance, why the HJ was employed in the Landjahr as farm hands, and why the (female) RAD helped out the farmers whose regular workers had been drawn into the military forces. Young people had to connect with the basic land life and respect the origines of food and toil to provide food for the nation, to gain a sense of the annual cycle of sow and harvest, breed and death. Simple life, simple food, home grown and not imported was to be preferred above all complicated, processed and imported foodstuffs.

Bread, in the Western world, is the most basic food, and what is better than to bake bread from your own harvest. It is an understatement which applied strongly to the adeptors of the New Order. In many NSDAP-songs the words Bread, Soil, Work are repeatedly used as the highest achievements of the ideal nation. The future elite of the Thousend Year Empire had to go through that school to gain respect for the national heritage and to become rooted.

I enclose a photo from a Landjahr camp, with an entry gate exposing this intention.

Another example of "Sprüche" regarding the bond with the soil; a wall painting in a HJ Landjahr building, around Christmas:

"Schwert wird Sichel / Sichel wird Schwert / beider Ernte die Heimat ernährt"

(Sword becomes sickle / sickle becomes sword / the harvest of both feeds the homeland)

Edited by Odulf

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 months later...

Is there never an ending to this?

I have so many candle sticks and plates, and they just keep on coming.

To my understanding there is no limit, these artifacts were produced by many (commercial) factories, who did not date or sign their product simply because they shifted other (commercial) gear also, and also it is hard to distinguish post war things from pre 45 as these items remaned the concept of interest all over the times. I am sure that half of my colledtion dates far pre or post the period, but I have no prove. And even applied runes are no prove for the period.

Still, it remains an ever interesting field of interest.

Let's keep posted.

• 2 months later...

Is there never an ending to this?

I have so many candle sticks and plates, and they just keep on coming.

To my understanding there is no limit, these artifacts were produced by many (commercial) factories, who did not date or sign their product simply because they shifted other (commercial) gear also, and also it is hard to distinguish post war things from pre 45 as these items remaned the concept of interest all over the times. I am sure that half of my colledtion dates far pre or post the period, but I have no prove. And even applied runes are no prove for the period.

Still, it remains an ever interesting field of interest.

Let's keep posted.

I agree 1000%, these wooden bread plates are at basically every flea market in Germany, old ones, new ones, the designs all traditional...

I have 2 or 3 in the basement somewhere... They are not bad for a summer breakfast on the patio... but I would be weary about laying out real money on them. Wood has been carved for many years... and still is... and somone making today can do runes more easily than complicated wheat stalks...

I agree 1000%,

So do I.

Never pay much money for these.

The old wooden carving below, for example, cost less than £20 GBP.

Who could have it made for less than that today? (Chinese excluded!)

To me, it matters not whether the thing is from the 1920s or the 1950s.

Post 1950 = poorer workmanship, IMHO. Just like buildings.

It's the quality, design and craftsmanship that count.

Bottom line is that wood carvers in the old days were better than the new guys. ;)

I dont think so... it is artisanal... some guys nowdays are really keen hobby craftsmen and do very good work... see a lot of the silver work on the beliner auktionshaus a few years ago ;-)

An item like this is as good as the person making it.... There are way fewer blade makers today as well... but some of those that do make blades are as good, and some maybe even better than most back then....

I agree noone could do that statue for GBP20 nowdays... but I had a bit of an experiance last week...

We were cleaning out the father inlaws house....

Tooooons of "stuff" , ornaments, souveniers, craftsmen things... some of it cost real money 10-20-30 years ago.... if you tried to "move it" today, you would get pennies on the pound.

Its like a car... buy it expensive... drive it off the lot.... and thats it for price....

• 1 month later...

Latest acquisition ...........................

Was cheap ............... and the carver Misselwitz was apparently well-known. :)

http://www.mz-web.de/archiv/Er-schuf-die-Statuen-von-Hermann-und-Dorothea-131-Jahre-waere-der-Bildhauer-Walter-Misselwitz-vor-wenigen-Wochen-geworden-Viele-seiner-Werke-schmueck/H-1996-02-24-603169.htm

Edited by Robin Lumsden