News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Turkish War Medal - STEINHAUER & LÜCK

demir

Hello,

Here is a sample of a Steinhauer & Lück TWM, as Rick mentioned in his earlier thread "Steinhauer & Lück-- identifiable from their "strawberry seeds" enamel pattern and the "snail and Easter egg" tughra" .

At the reverse: there is a pattern which is "in fact reversed - a mirror image. This is the result of what coin collectors refer to as "die clash"" as wisely put by Tim Tezer. In S&L location and types (lock and open) of the pins show some differences.

OK.

Please check the second picture (following thread) ....

The "strawberry seeds" enamel pattern and the "snail and Easter egg" tughra is same also the white metal with thin inner lines covering the arms are same but the reverse; it is perfect, no mirror image.

So my question is: what is the make of the TWM in the second picture?

1. Is it S&L ?

2. or this is also S&L but the first one is again as Tim Tezer said; "I couldn't say whether they are Turkish or German made, as the tughra mark on the back has nothing to do with the manufacturer, other than showing that careless workers were employed in their shop" ?

Thanks

demir

1. Is it S&L ?

2. or this is also S&L but the first one is again as Tim Tezer said; "I couldn't say whether they are Turkish or German made, as the tughra mark on the back has nothing to do with the manufacturer, other than showing that careless workers were employed in their shop" ?

thanks

demir

Hi Uwe

A far as know German awards manufacturers letter code for Steinhauer & Lück located in Lüdenscheid is: "STL" or "o" and

LDO code is: L / 16

I have no idea what E.S is, sorry. What is the width of the medal in mm?

Thanks

Demir

Hello,

Here is a sample of a Steinhauer & Lück TWM, as Rick mentioned in his earlier thread "Steinhauer & Lück-- identifiable from their "strawberry seeds" enamel pattern and the "snail and Easter egg" tughra" .

At the reverse: there is a pattern which is "in fact reversed - a mirror image. This is the result of what coin collectors refer to as "die clash"" as wisely put by Tim Tezer. In S&L location and types (lock and open) of the pins show some differences.

OK.

Please check the second picture (following thread) ....

The "strawberry seeds" enamel pattern and the "snail and Easter egg" tughra is same also the white metal with thin inner lines covering the arms are same but the reverse; it is perfect, no mirror image.

1. Is it S&L ?

Thanks

demir

This is 57 mm.

1. Is it S&L ?

thanks

demir

This is 60 mm.

• 11 months later...

Hi demir,

I have basically a problem with the manufacturer St&L.

Here is my medal, marked with "E.S.". But I don't know, by whom it is stamped, the maker or the seller.

Uwe

Hello,

I think this question is solved with the help of an other forum friend Konstantin.

E.S is most probably the name of the company: Ernst Schneider, Ludenscheid

Regards

Demir

With the help of very recently learned information and I think it is a correct answer: the answer to question 1 is: the maker of this Medal which has the mirror image of the obverse tughra is : (E.S) Ernst Schneider, Ludenscheid

Edited by demir

And Steinhauer & Lück offered and sold them?

What is the primary source for that?

For me it is more logical, that S&L produced it (see the picture in the catalogue), and Ernst Schneider (and others?) sold it.

Uwe

Edited by speedytop

• 2 months later...

IMHO there are 2 options:

A. a medal designer prepared strawberry seed, snail and Easter-egg design for Ludenscheid companies;

1. Ernst Schneider, Ludenscheid

2, Steinhauer & Lück, Lüdenscheid

3. Friedrich Linden, Lüdensheid

4. Albert Vom Hofe, Lüdensheid

and they produced them using their own pins

B. One of them produced the medal and others sell the medal and have the picture of the medal their catalogues.

They all have strawberry seed, snail and Easter egg obverse but different reverse.

Ernst Schneider, Ludenscheid had a mirror image of the Tughra on the back, sometimes used her logo ES and had a different style pin.

So it is easy to understand Ernst Schneider.

Ernst Schneider, Ludenscheid and Steinhauer & Lück, Lüdenscheid had different pins and therefore they have to be recognised from their pins.

Here

• 5 years later...

Here is my medal, marked with "E.S.". But I don't know, by whom it is stamped, the maker or the seller.

In my opinion the only company which makes sense is Eugen Schmidhäussler, Pforzheim (E.S.) now Henecka.

Schmidhäussler was founded in the 1890s.

As Lüdenscheid Pforzheim was a big capital for jewellery, medals and orders in Germany. (also B.H. Mayer´s ....)

Edited by ixhs

Hi ixhs,

and why not Ernst Schneider? Both are located in Lüdenscheid, nearby.

Hi demir,

"Ernst Schneider, Lüdenscheid and Steinhauer & Lück, Lüdenscheid had different pins and therefore they have to be recognised from their pins."

Really?

5a92d86a407f4_EisernerHalbmondVarianten.thumb.jpg.670daa5c4f22751f23c5456b913fc001.jpg

I have my doubts, that Schneider (or Schmidthäußler) are makers.´.

Uwe