News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Jamaica Constabulary Force - Wolseley Helmet

Jamaica Constabulary Force – Wolseley Helmet

A recent addition to the collection is this Wolseley helmet to the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) made by Hobson & Sons, London (Limited). The King’s crown helmet plate dates to c. 1905 and under the coat of arms is written UTROQUE SERVE, which I still have to translate. The headband is of Vero’s patent of 1925. This and the fact that the production of Wolseleys stopped in 1942 helps to date the helmet itself. It should be remembered that the stocks of Wolseley helmets were “used up” until 1949 when the British Army discontinued their use. According to my sources the probable date for this helmet would be somewhere in the range of the late ‘30s to the early ‘40s. The helmet is in very good condition though it is missing the chin strap. Thanks to Mervyn Mitton and Stuart Bates for their kind assistance in researching this helmet.

As a short history, Wikipedia offers the following information.

The history of policing in Jamaica began in 1716 when night watchmen were appointed to serve the cities of Port Royal, Kingston, and the parishes of Saint Catherine and Saint Andrew. In 1832 the first attempt to establish a permanent police force began, and William Ramsay was appointed Inspector General of the police force in 1835. This force continued in service until 1865, the year of the Morant Bay Rebellion. This uprising demonstrated the vulnerability of peace and law in Jamaica and caused the establishment of an improved police force, the Jamaica Constabulary Force. The force began operation with 984 members, under the direction of an Inspector General appointed by the British Governor to the island, and continues to carry out police duties to the present day. The official JCF staff numbers 9,930 plus 55 auxiliary positions, making a total of 9,985; its current strength (as of 2011) is 8,441.

The last photo of this post shows a police officer in uniform on a post card post marked 1967. So the use of the Wolseley style helmet did indeed continue well after the Jamaican National Independence in 1962. As may be seen in the photo the later helmet varied somewhat from the style worn when Jamaica as a British colony.

Regards

Brian

Brian,

I'm unsure as to why you believe that the production of these helmets stopped in 1942. They are a comparatively common item of headwear even today. HM Royal Marines here in the UK wear them as part of their ceremonial uniform and all the UK dependant territory police forces (apart from Bermuda) still wear them. The Jamaica Constablulary wore them into the 1960's and the KC plates also continued to be used, again well into the 1960's.

Best wishes, Dave.

Further to my last posting........... the helmets did not vary in style as such. The everyday patrol helmet was as that shown in the posted photos. However, for ceremonial occasions the cloth covered "button" top was screwed off and replaced by either a white metal (pre. 1935 approx.) or chrome plated (post. 1935 approx.) spike. The chinstraps were also swapped over, the leather one (for everyday use) replaced by a leather backed chin chain. The chrome plated helmet plate actually dates from post. 1935 when chroming became the norm. As said previously, the helmets are still worn by a number of forces in the Carribean. I've just remembered, Malta Police also wear them, again on ceremonial occasions.

Dave.

Very nice Brian are you going for the full uniform?

Thanks for the info Dave do you know if Gibralta Police wear these?

Craig

Craig,

No, Gibraltar Police have never utilised a white helmet. They have since their formation always worn the traditional British (dark blue) police helmet. Since the early 1900's this has been identical in design to that worn by the London Metpol. and that is still the case today.

Dave.

Brian,

I'm unsure as to why you believe that the production of these helmets stopped in 1942. They are a comparatively common item of headwear even today. HM Royal Marines here in the UK wear them as part of their ceremonial uniform and all the UK dependant territory police forces (apart from Bermuda) still wear them. The Jamaica Constablulary wore them into the 1960's and the KC plates also continued to be used, again well into the 1960's.

Best wishes, Dave.

Hello Dave,

Of course you are correct and the post itself supports what you are saying. The information I was imparting was a bit jumbled and I thank you for straightening this out. I was trying to say that the British military Wolseley production stopped in 1942. Sorry for the confusion I should have been clearer. It's little things like this that generates confusion.

Thanks again.

Regards

Brian

Very nice Brian are you going for the full uniform?

Thanks for the info Dave do you know if Gibralta Police wear these?

Craig

Hello Craig,

I think I will stop at just collecting the helmet as I lack the space to display uniforms. Oh, for a private museum of my own, which no doubt the aquisition of would be closely followed by a divorce. It would be great to find a dress pattern complete with spike and chin strap.

Regards

Brian

Brian - I think you have found a very nice example for the British Colonial Police - and it would appear to have a fairly early badge. There is not a great deal of range within the Colonial Police - their everday uniforms are all very much the same and similarly, the full dress follow a pattern.

I think with this post it would be an excellent opportunity for us to explore our Colonial uniform heritage - our new member , Dave, (welcome to GMIC) seems to have good knowledge and could perhaps enlarge on the theme ? Dave - do you have a connection with Police - or, is it just an interest ?

Brian, I know we have to agree together on 'pinning' - however, I will do so with this post as it has great potential. Mervyn

Brian - I think you have found a very nice example for the British Colonial Police - and it would appear to have a fairly early badge. There is not a great deal of range within the Colonial Police - their everday uniforms are all very much the same and similarly, the full dress follow a pattern.

I think with this post it would be an excellent opportunity for us to explore our Colonial uniform heritage - our new member , Dave, (welcome to GMIC) seems to have good knowledge and could perhaps enlarge on the theme ? Dave - do you have a connection with Police - or, is it just an interest ?

Brian, I know we have to agree together on 'pinning' - however, I will do so with this post as it has great potential. Mervyn

Hello Mervyn,

Thank you for your words of welcome. I discovered this site by accident several days ago and was impressed by the bredth of subjects discussed. I have collected UK police insignia (plus some Colonial) since the 1960's and am a founder member of PICA(GB). I retired from the police in 2006 after 35 yrs. I look forward to being able to contribute usefully as and when appropriate and to discover more about this all absorbing interest which so many like minded individuals seem to share.

Best wishes, Dave.