News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi, i'm looking for some afdvice on an item that has been in our family for some time now. I have what I believe to be a horse whip from the IOC regiment during the Boer War. The whip is approximately 2 feet in length, is some sort of cane material and has a mounted head with the IOC regimental badge, and 'South Africa 1900-1901' around the crest. There is clearly something missing from the bottom end of the whip, whether there used to be some leather there or not i'm not sure.

I think that this is a very rare item as from what I can find out, there were only 30 mounted officers from the IOC regiment that went to South Africa (?). If anyone could shed any light on this item or point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.

Thank you, Christian.

Good Morning Christian......

First of all this sounds like an Officers or senior NCO's cane or swagger stick and not a whip, there should be a silver tip on the end..... The second thing is the Battle Honour, "South Africa 1900-1901" was not given out until after the Boer War was over (appox 1903 or 4) when the different regiments were authorized to use certain batte honours.... I think that this cane / swagger stick was used right up until the end of WW1 and possibly later.....

Mike

Morning Mike,

That sound's great. Thank you so much for the information, that would fit. I tried to post a photo but the website didn't allow me to due to the size of the file.

I hope Calgary isn't too cold just yet! My family live in Vancouver, so i'm afraid i'm a Cannucks fan!

Thanks once again for the information.

Christian