News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A helmet plate that's not. Opinions please

Hello Everyone,

I just got this interesting item in that I thought was a Staffordshire Police helmet plate that had been plated for the 150th anniversary of the force. It was suggested by the seller that it was a presentation piece and and at no time was it offered as a special issue to be worn just for the 150th. I won the bid for this at £2.23 so I have little invested. When it arrived I found that it was cast bronze and quite heavy. A single screw bolt held it to the backing of the display mount.

My first thought was that perhaps this was a martingale badge (for a horse) but I believe the mounted patrol has been gone for longer than this badge style has been used. It has been sand cast as may be seen in the photos. You can also see where they have cleaned up the back side as grinder marks are still evident. The frame actually fell apart in my hands so I repaired it with a little epoxy on the back. The front of the plate looks to have been worn through repeated polishing and that made me think of a martingale badge. I believe that use has been ruled out. The martingale badge I have from Staffordshire County Police has two threaded tubes soldered on the back to affix it to the leather holder with screw bolts. This one has no sign that any such devices existed. The single threaded hole is still bright and shinny inside so it would look as if it were drilled and tapped for the purpose of display. The Staff County badge is stamped from brass sheet stock not cast as is this one. The velvet under the plate has been crushed to the point that I believe it has been in this mount from the beginning.

I suppose it is possible this was made as a presentation piece or as an item for sale to raise funds for the 150th Anniversary celebrations.

What are yor opinions of this piece?

Regards

Brian

Brian,

These type of badges (for want of a better word) have been produced depicting various emblems of current police forces in the UK. In some cases they have a "loop" at the top and are affixed to a leather backing and oft described as "horce brasses". They are novalty items and are money making ventures by individuals who often have no connection with the force themselves.

I'm glad to hear that the cash outlay was small!

Best wishes, Dave.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for letting me know that I'm one of those "born every minute". :lol:

Seriously, I do thank you for this information and I am not surprised to hear this. If you look at the bottom point of the star and then take a line of sight to the cross on the top of the crown you can see that they do not line up. Not something you would find in an original and authorized helmet plate or martingale badge. I was also a little worried when I was the only bidder, however by that time it is too late to change ones mind about the purchase.

Thanks again for you assistance. It will have a home in my Staffordshire collection along with some commemoritive plates.

Regards

Brian

Hello Mervyn,

I think it will indeed fit in the collection nicely as well. I don't usually bother with promotional items like the mounted police service crests, lapel buttons or commemorative plates except for Staffordshire. I am not even sure why the attachment to Staffordshire but as usual when I comes to the collection I don't question my choices I just enjoy collecting.

Regards

Brian