News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SOVIET QUIZ - 2012

JimZ

Question #10

Please tell me a story of this car.

Questions:

1. Name the car.

2. Name all producers.

3. What made this car so unique to compare with western car brands of that period.

vaz-1111-13-600x350.jpg

Edited by JimZ
    Edited question number

This car is the VAZ-1111 Oka (or VAZ-11113).

It is is a city car designed in Russia in 1988 by AvtoVAZ featuring a 750 cc SOHC 2-cylinder engine.

The car was developed by AutoVAZ, but it has never entered volume production there.

All production was sourced toSeAZ factory in Serpukhov and ZMA in Naberezhnye Chelny (formerly owned by Kamaz and now owned by SeverstalAvto). There were plans to start production at the new plant in Yelabuga which never materialized. The car is also produced in Azerbaijan by the Gyandzha Auto Plant.

The name comes from the Oka River in Russia upon which Serpukhov is situated.

This extremely cheap, lightweight and simple car replaced the ZAZ Zaporozhets, which had been developed in 1975 as the "people's car" and served its purpose for almost ten years as a low-end transportation, although it was occasionally the butt of cruel jokes. There was only one Soviet car more basic, and that was a special vehicle for disabled people,

What was so unique :

1. A simple motorcycle engine. Decision was made to implement the "chopped in half" VAZ 2108 4-cylinder engine.

2. At the 1989 Moscow International Motor Show, VAZ exhibited a battery-electric version known as the VAZ-111E. The car was produced on a direct order basis until 1998.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Point to Christophe.

But... In my opinion VAZ-1111 and some other soviet cars , like Zaporozhets, were unique because they were initially designed as car for disabled/handicapped persons, in same time western cars producers only adopted or modified existing models for such special purposes.

And it was the cheapest car in the world (in 1998 it price was 1350.00 USD only)...

Of course I don't discuss quality etc.

Question #11

As I have not so much time available right now, I will make a simple and easy one... :)

We all know (and use) the AVERS ABEPC) catalogs.

The 1st one, AVERS 1, has been published in 1995. It was called "A practical guide for collectors (coins, badges, jettons, awards and other antiques). Price guide".

The 2nd one, AVERS 2, has been published in1996. It dealt with "Soviet badges and jettons".

There have been 8 AVERS catalogs in total, the last one being AVERS 8, published in 2008...

But, before these 8 editions of the catalog, one "initial" AVERS, A4 sized paperback version, in black & white, has been published in Moscow. it was called "AVERS" (ABEPC), simply...

Question :

1. When has been published this "initial" AVERS catalog ?

2. Post a picture of its cover.

The winner will be the first to answer / post both questions.

Good hunt and good luck... :whistle:

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Hi Dan,

We can say you are the winner because you posted the right picture. :)

But, probably because of the manner your pic has been cut at the bottom, your date is not correct. This AVERS has been published in 1993.

For the fun (is it really fun, BTW...?) AVERS in 1993 quoted HSU at $450, Order Mother Heroine at $25, Nakhimov 1st Class at $ 2500, Order of Glory 1st Class at $ 400.... off%20topic.gif

Dan, congrats, you get the point !! :jumping:

Your turn, now...

Ch.

The Avers guide is actually a very interesting piece of literature and I would recommend a copy for your libraries. I think mine is the number 6 edition issued in 2003.

Its really depressing when one refers to the catalogue prices and see how our ODMs once went for a song. In fact prices remained pretty stable until the early 2000s started to see a sharp increase in their values.

Good investments? Almost bulletproof as a collector friend of mine once said. But for collectors, this has spelt the end of many a collection.

Jim :cheers:

Question #12:

I was born in St. Petersburg and I died in Leningrad. I was a favorite of Stalin. I won many awards. I also have a connection to a Soviet Order.

Who and what was I?

What am I known for?

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptmann

I am Nikolay Konstantinovich Cherkasov.

Nikolay Cherkasov (Russian: Никола́й Константи́нович Черка́сов; 27 July [O.S. 14 July] 1903 – 14 September 1966), was a Soviet actor and a People's Artist of the Soviet Union.

He was born in Saint Petersburg. From 1919 he was a mime artist in Petrograd's Maryinsky Theatre, the Bolshoi Theatre, and elsewhere. After graduating from the Institute of Stage Arts in 1926, he began acting in the Young Spectator's Theatre in Leningrad.

Cherkasov was one of Stalin's favorite actors and played title roles in Sergei Eisenstein's monumental sound films Alexander Nevsky (1938) and Parts I & II of Ivan the Terrible (1945 & 1946; though Part II was not officially released until 1958 for political reasons). He also played Jacques Paganel in the memorable 1936 adaptation of Jules Verne's The Children of Captain Grant. In the 1947 comedy Springtime Cherkasov appeared alongside other icons of Stalinist cinema, Lyubov Orlova and Faina Ranevskaya. For the role of Alexander Popov in the film Alexander Popov in 1951 he received a Stalin Prizeof the second degree. In 1957 Cherkasov portrayed Don Quixote in director Grigori Kozintsev's screen adaptation of that novel.

In 1941, Cherkasov was awarded the Stalin Prize; in 1947, he was named a People's Artist of the Soviet Union. He wrote his memoirs, "Notes of a Soviet Actor" in 1951. He died in Leningrad in 1966 and was buried in the Cemetery of Masters at that city's Alexander Nevsky Lavra.

The connection with an Order is indeed the Order of Alexander Nevsky because his face is the representation of this hero on the Order.

Ch.

Right on target! :beer: Surprisingly I could not find anything on the web after doing searches many different ways, that stated his likeness was used on the Order of Alexander Nevsky.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2012/post-873-0-71592500-1326294858.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2012/post-873-0-96662700-1326294833.jpg

Next one is all yours. :jumping: :jumping:

Dan :cheers:

SCORE UPDATE:

6 points - Christophe

3 points - Hauptmann

2 points - UB6365

1 point - Lukasz Gaszewski

Question 13 goes to Christophe....

Jim :cheers:

ipb.global.registerReputation( 'rep_post_482445', { domLikeStripId: 'like_post_482445', app: 'forums', type: 'pid', typeid: '482445' }, parseInt('0') );

Surprisingly I could not find anything on the web after doing searches many different ways, that stated his likeness was used on the Order of Alexander Nevsky.

Hi Dan,

On the web, I don't know... But this is, at least, mentioned in Georgi Putnikov's "Orders and medals of the USSR" published by Novosti. Maybe in other books as well (no time to check at present...)...

Cheers.

Ch.

Question #13

Children of the Cold War, we were 10 sisters.

We were a very secret family spread out among 5 oblasts.

After the end of the Soviet Union, we changed our names.

Who or what are we ? What is our "family" name ?

Good hunt and good luck... :whistle:

Ch.

Correct !! :)

These were the Atomgrads.

During the Cold War the Soviet Union created at least ten closed cities, known as Atomgrads, in which nuclear weapons-related research and development took place. After the dissolution of the Soviet Union, all of the cities changed their names (most of the original code-names were simply the oblast and a number). All are still legally "closed", though some have parts of them accessible to foreign visitors with special permits (Sarov, Snezhinsk, and Zheleznogorsk).

Cold War name - Current name - Oblast - Established - Primary function(s)

Arzamas-16 - Sarov - Nizhny Novgorod Oblast - 1946 - Weapons design and research, warhead assembly

Sverdlovsk-44 - Novouralsk - Sverdlovsk Oblast - 1946 - Uranium enrichment

Chelyabinsk-40 and later 65 - Ozyorsk - Chelyabinsk Oblast - 1947 - Plutonium production, component manufacturing

Sverdlovsk-45 - Lesnoy - Sverdlovsk Oblast - 1947 - Uranium enrichment, warhead assembly

Tomsk-7 - Seversk - Tomsk Oblast - 1949 - Uranium enrichment, component manufacturing

Krasnoyarsk-26 - Zheleznogorsk - Krasnoyarsk Krai - 1950 - Plutonium production

Zlatoust-36 - Tryokhgorny - Chelyabinsk Oblast - 1952 - Warhead assembly

Penza-19 - Zarechny - Sverdlovsk Oblast - 1955 - Warhead assembly

Krasnoyarsk-45 - Zelenogorsk - Krasnoyarsk Krai - 1956 - Uranium enrichment

Chelyabinsk-70 - Snezhinsk - Chelyabinsk Oblast - 1957 - Weapons design and research

UB, your turn, now, for the next one... :)

Ch.

Edited by Christophe