News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SOVIET QUIZ - 2012

JimZ

As it seems like there is little or no interest in the quiz, other than that generated by the few participants who have joined in for 2012 and who have done their damndest to keep the ball rolling, and as a limited number of players further implies that even more effort is required by the handful taking part, I would daresay that the 2012 Quiz has already run its course.

Since there have been no posts since Feb 17 other than mine which tried to attract new players, I think it is almost safe to call "time of death" on February 29th..... a date that you will realise will not appear in your calendars next year!!!

Rather than lock the quiz I am leaving it open for the rest of 2012.... The offer for a new member to provide us with challenge 32 remains open......

Perhaps some comrade or other will set the ball rolling once again, if the quiz is missed.

The official score update is as follows

15 points - Christophe

9 points - UB6365

6 points - Hauptmann

1 point - Lukasz Gaszewski

Over and out.

Jim :cheers:

Hi Jim,

Thanks for this "funeral" message... :(

We (you, me, a few others) tried several times to give a second life to the Quiz (remember the one I launched in 2005...).

This kind of "game" can work only if we are a sufficient number of players. If not, it becomes quickly time and energy consuming.

As an example : there have been 31 questions asked in 2012.

If you look at them in detail, you will notice that, except for the 1st one asked by you on 1st January (I was travelling at that date and could not answer), I have answered correctly to ALL questions. The other points have been got by winners of questions I had asked.

My message : we needed more players, as this kind of game can take a lot of time (15 questions to invent, and 15 questions to answer, in my personal case)... :whistle:

I thank you Jim and the others (UB, Dan and Lukasz) for having tried to give a new birth to the Quiz. :)

As you said : "Perhaps some comrade or other will set the ball rolling once again, if the quiz is missed"... Wait and see... :whistle:

Cheers.

Ch.

Hi Christophe,

In fact I was very hopeful given that in 2011, there was much more participation - never as much as in previous years but there was potential to get things going for 2012. Unfortunately, some of us took this quiz way too seriously and dropped out along the way and those lost were never regained.

I would love to see the quiz rolling once again, as I think this was an excellent initiative of yours back in 2005 - it generated lots of additional activity within the Soviet subfora. But perhaps there are just not as many of us left now as way back before the prices went totally crazy! Or perhaps a lot of what needed to be said has already been discussed, leading to diminished enthusiasm of the soviet members.

My fingers remain crossed in the hope that some one will get the game started once again...I'll remain ready to help move things along if it does.

Jim :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

sorry for my absence the last years. I had been quite engaged and busy in the Austrian Armed Forces and got some nice orders and medals for my job, as you can see in my facebook-album, dedicated to my activities in the army:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1107886170457.18743.1025906913&type=3&l=09e2d7e9a2

These are all the decorations, I got the last years:

http://vk.com/photo113441340_267815115

To liven up our quiz, I suggest 3 measures:

- to invite the old participants personally by a message to join again

- to make a site on facebook for inviting to GMIC and the quiz

- to make a site on vk.com - the Russian "facebook" - for inviting to GMIC and the quiz.

Specially on vk.com we have a huge number of interested people - all from ex-CCCP -, who might be interested to participate.

Just my thoughts ...

Best regards

Christian

Hi Christian,

You're back!!! Fantastic!! :jumping:

We missed you a lot these last years. So, welcome back!! :beer:

Unfortunately, not a lot of time, at present to elaborate and answer your suggestions... but will come back to your points a soon as possible ;)

Cheers.

Ch.