News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German Naval Shoulder Broads & Patches WW1 / WW2 ?

I've been offered a small German naval convolute. The seller's father was born 1899 served one year 1917 - 18 in WW1 with the Kaiser's Marine, then again served in WW2 with the German Navy, most of the pieces I've been able to catalogue. However one set of shoulder broads I'm not sure about, think they may be WW1 crew broads, WW2 crew broads have a slightly different motif, unsure what the Roman number 2 means. There are two WW2 rank patches, not sure which rank maybe "Obermatrose", fairly sure its connected with transport - wheel at the top, not shown in the convolute is a round wheel driver's badge.

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards

Hi Alec,

My interest is more ground forces than naval but I believe (and I stand to be corrected) with a reasonable degree of certainty that both the shoulder straps and the arm badges are WWII Kriegsmarine.

The shoulder boards are for the wool tunic or "feldbluse" of a private soldier of coastal artillery 2nd Battailion I think.

The arm badges are rank chevrons (armwinkel) for a Hauptgefreiter of motor transport. I think I am correct that a Hauptgefreiter would be equivalent to an Able Seaman in the RN.

Clearly the two examples are of different material and I would suggest that the yellow felt chevron is for everyday blue uniform whilst the braid chevron indicates a "parade" or walking out level of dress.

As I say, I stand to be corrected but I think I am fairly accurate here.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mark

Hello Mark,

Thanks for your post with all the additional information, how would I get along without you. Not pictured, but belonging to the convolute is a Kriegsmarine Tellermütze and three mütze bands, one is from S.M.S. Westfalen, this would appear to be the only WW1 piece. A question - I forgot to post a picture of a naval dress tie, would you happen to know roughly what is the going rate for the dress tie? I've included a picture of it

Again thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Best Wishes

Hi Alec (or is it BD?),

Glad to help and I'm sure we all hold bits and pieces of info that can answer a question for somebody else!

Afraid I have no idea about the tie. You would have to ask a uniform collector but I doubt you would be able to retire on the proceeds!!

If I were to guess (and it would be a guess) I would not expect to see one of these for more than €20 at the most but I could be totally off the mark. It of course depends on the seller and most importantly the buyer needing it to complete an outfit. I doubt it would be collectable in its' own right.

Regards

Mark

Hello Mark,

Thanks for your post - yes, your right in another life I'm BD. I think your not too far out in your estimate 20 - 30 euro seems about right. All the best for the new year

Regards

Alec

Hello Mark, Odulf, Anyone,

The seller has bought round to my house, two of his father's Kriegsmarine collars ( I think you'd call them) he's just found them. Would anyone happen to know roughly, what is the going rate for a Kriegsmarine collar ( Revers / Kragen)? I've included a picture of it

Again thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Best Wishes