News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A couple of Questions...

When did Graf von Bothmer command the Leib Regt? O have him as Regiments F?hrer in November 1917.

Second, and more difficult.... Rittmeister Paul Klinger, commandant der K.H.Qu beim Gen Kdo. XV bay. Res.Korps..... was he a Bavarian or just attached as a liason? Does anyone know anything about him?

Thanks

Chris

Guest Rick Research

Franz (Ritter von) Epp commanded the ILR from 26 December 1914 to the end of the war.

Paul Klinger was born in 1885

Lt 8.3.06

Oberlt 25.8.13

In 1914 Personal Adjutant of Prince Alfons of Bavaria, with uniform of Chevauleger Regiment 7

Rittmeister 19.5.16

In 1916 he had the BMV4X, EK2, and 1905 Jubilee Medal.

char. Major aD-- alive 1926.

Rumors that he had a "love child" who served during the Korean War in the U.S. Army medical corps are lies and calumnies and falsehoods. :rolleyes:

Guest Rick Research
    Which Count Bothmer? Robert and Maximilian were BOTH Majors in the ILR and both went on to command "lesser" regiments, but as of 1917...?

Robert Graf von Bothmer commanded the ILR during the following periods:

25 November 1916 - 17 April 1917

22 July 1917 - 29 July 1917

28 September 1917 - 3 November 1917

24 November 1917 - 3 December 1917

6 January 1918 - 8 February 1918

14 February 1918 - 26 February 1918

25 March 1918 - 28 March 1918

30 May 1918 - 8 July 1918

I assume he was in temporary command during these periods when Epp was away or in temporary command of a higher HQ, as in most cases Graf von Bothmer was preceded or succeeded by Epp. In other cases, he and Epp alternated with Hptm. Freiherr von Falkenhausen (Richard or one of the others).

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Interesting, because "acting" (and that's a LOT of "acting"!!!!!) commands are NOT shown in Das Bayernbuch's listing of regimental commanders.

:cheers:

Paul Klinger was originally a Fahnenjunker in the 1. Chevaulegers-Regiment Kaiser Nikolaus von Ru?land and was promoted to the rank of F?hnrich on the 4th of February 1905. Commissioned into the 1. Chevaulegers-Regiment he was transferred to the 7. Chevaulegers-Regiment on the 1st of October 1906.

The award of the EK2 was gazetted on the 3rd of November 1914.

Regards

Glenn

Hope it is okay if I connect a question to this thread.

I wonder if that is General Graf Bothmer on that photo:

IPB Image

Close up of the person in question:

IPB Image

The card was send by a Leutnant der Reserve Haberl

IPB Image

What cruel words for Photosammler :angry:

>>Sorry, but you have posted more images than you are allowed to<<

Will post the rest in the reply.

Guest Rick Research

Because Bavarian Ersatz Regiment 1 was in the 39th Reserve Division, I think that is probably division commander Generalleutnant zD Friedrich Gr?ber. Born in 1851, he was an 1870 veteran, and very well decorated for the expedition to China in 1900. He had the glasses and beard-- and splendid shoulder wide mustaches-- maybe he has just had a haircut here!

• 2 weeks later...

A question to this.....

"In 1914 Personal Adjutant of Prince Alfons of Bavaria, with uniform of Chevauleger Regiment 7

Rittmeister 19.5.16"

Do you think he was Adjutant to the Prinz... or to "Chevauleger Regiment 7 "Prinz Alfons""

The Prince was alive and kicking until 1933, but I find no mention of active WW1 service (I am sure someone has better books than me on this level)

It is however highly possible that the regt provided the Prinz with an officer as an assistnt as the regt was named after him.